Thread: Winchester Model 92 and 94 forward sling swivel RFI

Winchester Model 92 and 94 forward sling swivel RFI

See attached. Does anyone know where I can find the forward sling swivel as on the attached? Or, alternative thoughts on a side mounted swivel that can be used in conjunction with the issue walnut stock. Thank you.

Name:  IMG_8407.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  15.9 KB

Name:  IMG_3126.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  29.1 KB

Name:  IMG_3125.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  23.1 KB
    Semper Paratus,

Steve

The origin of that type mount is from a relatively small special order to the Winchester factory in 1913 for cavalry carbines for the Belgian Congo. Needless to say finding original leftover parts is unlikely in the extreme, and if found, may be worth far more than you would be willing to pay, perhaps approaching the value of your entire gun. I believe there are approximately 167 known surviving examples of the gun. There may have been similar guns made for Canada and France during the teens leading into WWI, I dont know if they have the same exact mounts or how many survive today. The info ive seen isnt 100% positive on details from what I understand.

They have been copied by individuals and gunsmiths and fakers of Belgian Congo contract guns. If you acquire a pair of 1903 Springfield lower swivel mounts and machine and fit one to fit under the band, inletting it into the wood, cutting off one leg of the lower mount base, you can come close to duplicating it. I seriously doubt anyone has such a thing laying around looking for a home.

An example of the Belgian Congo carbines, this was 5 years ago, no idea what one would cost today. This does not have foreign proof marks and may be a copy.

https://www.rockislandauction.com/de...e-ring-carbine
    Last edited by Malamute; 02-07-2024 at 07:33 PM.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Thank you.
    Semper Paratus,

Steve

Are you willing to do some altering to the stock and fore end? You can get sling swivels for an AK for $13 a piece that look pretty similar. Do like Malamute said and inlet the for end so it fits under the band or just slap it right on the side just behind the band if you want.

https://www.carolinashooterssupply.c...k47-swivel.htm

The screws might be a little long for the fore end and there might not even be enough wood to do it at all without splitting or breaking it. Maybe get a repro to try it on first. Or you could just use a leather thong for the front attachment and just one AK sling mount on the buttstock.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    Are you willing to do some altering to the stock and fore end? You can get sling swivels for an AK for $13 a piece that look pretty similar. Do like Malamute said and inlet the for end so it fits under the band or just slap it right on the side just behind the band if you want.

https://www.carolinashooterssupply.c...k47-swivel.htm

The screws might be a little long for the fore end and there might not even be enough wood to do it at all without splitting or breaking it. Maybe get a repro to try it on first. Or you could just use a leather thong for the front attachment and just one AK sling mount on the buttstock.

The wood is not capable of holding a screw in any way,its much too thin, thats why they were originally inletted to fit under the band and utilize the band screw, with the rear part ground off with no screw hole.

Ebay has many 1903 lower or rear swivel mounts for $10 with cheap shipping ($4 for one I saw) if you wanted to give it a try to copy it. It looks like the front end of the base was thinned down to fit under the band in the pictures ive seen. The rear of course can be used as is, inlet into the butt stock wood. The matching screws are probably worth getting for the rear.

If you order 1903 parts, avoid "A3" or "1903-A3" parts, they are the wartime, cheap stamped parts, not the nice milled/machined, finely finished parts.

https://www.ebay.com/b/1903-springfi.../bn_7024831088

AK parts, besides not really saving any money, based on the ones Ive seen would probably more resemble the stamped parts, though some may have had machined sling mount bases.
    Last edited by Malamute; 02-09-2024 at 11:10 AM.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

I’m going to experiment with the 03 swivel.

Yes, stocks are much too thin for a screw. The swivel is held by the band screw.

Neither rifle is collectible, so I don’t mind inletting the stock.
    Semper Paratus,

Steve

The 03 swivels arrived. I believe they’ll work, thank you.

I’ll pick up my Browning B-92 from the Gunsite Gunsmithy when I’m there in May. I’ll post pics.
    Semper Paratus,

Steve

User Tag List