Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Suppressor and Muzzle Device Recommendation

Suppressor and Muzzle Device Recommendation

Looking to get a can for my AR. But I know next to nothing about them. I don’t want to pigeonhole myself with an IGNORANT purchase. My main purpose is noise reduction/hearing protection.

I’m getting a 14.5 BCM upper and will need to pin and weld. From what I understand the muzzle device determines your suppressor options.

Should I start with suppressor or muzzle device?

If you could start over what would you do?
    "Shooting is 90% mental. The rest is in your head." -Nils

Quote Originally Posted by JCS View Post
    Looking to get a can for my AR. But I know next to nothing about them. I don’t want to pigeonhole myself with an IGNORANT purchase. My main purpose is noise reduction/hearing protection.

I’m getting a 14.5 BCM upper and will need to pin and weld. From what I understand the muzzle device determines your suppressor options.

Should I start with suppressor or muzzle device?

I have a BCM 14.5 with A2X pinned. Wish I had picked a different muzzle device. It seems not much decent fits the A2.

I've thought about getting the A2x removed and a huxwrx pinned instead. That would allow me to mount a 7.62 flow can, which to my understanding is the pinnicle of current technology. But I haven't made the jump because of price and NFA/trust confusion.

Many newer suppressor are what's known as HUB compatible, which is to say, their mounting method can be changed, as they have a 1.375×24 internal thread that allows you to swap out the mounting interface on the suppressor side, which thus opens up your ability to use various different muzzle devices across different brands.

As for the suppressor question, there still remain many questions. How much does weight matter compared to audio signature reduction? Will this rifle be dedicated suppressed, or only sporadically so? Is visual signature reduction a lower concern, or a non-concern? Etc.

Low Back Pressure is the latest innovation in suppressors. Hux Wrx is one of the leaders in the tech. https://huxwrx.com/

After having been burned by buying the latest hotness, I will likely be sticking with Surefire and TBAC from now on.

If the upper will be used primarily with the can, I'd go with a brake (acts as a sacrificial 1st baffle and prolongs can life). If the upper will be shot a lot without the can, I'd go with a flash hider because brakes are harsh on anyone nearby.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

What have is a Dead Air Sandman S which is a .30 cal can. I put SOLGW Nox muzzle devices on my 5.56 uppers and a .30 cal gun. The pinned & welded Nox makes my SOLGW 13.7" upper a full legal 16". I have the Nox on a 14.5" and a 16" as well. I could get a 5.56 end cap for the Sandman but the juice for a 1-2 dB reduction isn't worth the squeeze. I like not have to worry about what caliber I an using the can on.

Some guys seem to approach suppressors with an "as many fits as possible" approach. From the outside, I suppose that makes sense. You want to get the most bang for your buck (and tax stamp, and waiting period).

Personally I prefer to tailor the suppressor to the gun as much as possible. Also, I think we do better when we get over the "it's forever" idea. I've owned 7 NFA items (not a ton by any stretch compared to some), and currently only own 4. A 9x19 can, a .30 cal can, and a Benelli SBS went down the road. I actually made money on the SBS and didn't loose too much on the cans. All sold to other individuals on form 4's. Just putting it out there that if you get something and don't like it, you're not necessarily stuck with it forever.

What did I keep?
    - 5.56 SBR
    - 5.56 Can (AAC M4-2000)
    - .22lr Can (AAC Element 2)
    - .22lr SBR

My cans are older AAC because of the time and place I got them. They still work fine, but are "outdated" technology. Frankly the M4-2000 sounds fine, is bombproof inconel construction, and the 51T mounts aren't as bad as some say. If I were buying today I would hope to gain lower backpressure and lighter weight.

I would recommend you think and prioritize features such as length, weight, sound, and mounting above others; especially on a centerfire can. AR's are loud, even with silencers. So why use one in the first place? To minimize blast, flash, and not go deaf if you ever do need to shoot it without earpro. For a 14.5" I'd probably go with a shorter "K" can of some kind, and knowing what I do now, a YHM Turbo K with whatever plan B mount you like is not a bad way to go.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Of these-

Free A2 Flash Hider (Installed)
    BCM® Comp MOD 0 + $84.95 (Installed)
    BCM® Comp Mod 2 + $84.95 (Installed)
    BCM® Comp Mod 4 + $84.95 (Installed)
    BCM® Comp Mod 6 + $84.95 (Installed)
    SureFire® SFMB-556-1/2-28 Muzzle Brake + $152.00
    SureFire® WARCOMP Closed Tine Flash Hider for 5.56mm Rifles + $152.00
    SureFire® WARCOMP Flash-Hider/Suppressor-Adapter - (Installed at neutral position unless specified in order notes) + $152.00

Is the only option- SureFire® WARCOMP Flash-Hider/Suppressor-Adapter ?

Quote Originally Posted by JCS View Post
    I would never get a P&W muzzle device again. Either 16" or SBR.

Quote Originally Posted by bofe954 View Post
    Of these-

Free A2 Flash Hider (Installed)
    BCM® Comp MOD 0 + $84.95 (Installed)
    BCM® Comp Mod 2 + $84.95 (Installed)
    BCM® Comp Mod 4 + $84.95 (Installed)
    BCM® Comp Mod 6 + $84.95 (Installed)
    SureFire® SFMB-556-1/2-28 Muzzle Brake + $152.00
    SureFire® WARCOMP Closed Tine Flash Hider for 5.56mm Rifles + $152.00
    SureFire® WARCOMP Flash-Hider/Suppressor-Adapter - (Installed at neutral position unless specified in order notes) + $152.00

Is the only option- SureFire® WARCOMP Flash-Hider/Suppressor-Adapter ?
    All three of the SureFire muzzle devices will work with SureFire and other compatible suppressors. That being said, WARCOMPs are considered poor suppressor adapters, due to their lack of labyrinth seals; if the rifle will see frequent suppressor use, the muzzle brake and flash hiders are better choices.

User Tag List