Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Ethan Crumbley’s Mother Found Guilty of Involuntary Manslaughter

Quote Originally Posted by TAZ View Post

For the record. I think the whole bartender thing is retarded as well.
    Completely OT, but, a friend of mine who used to be a bartender at a downtown hot spot has had to cut off a surprising number of famous people. A couple of the members of the band “Tool” were amongst the most boisterous ones that had to be physically convinced to leave.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Several have been charged in the Atlanta area for leaving loaded guns easily accessible to children which resulted in severe injury or death.
    In my state, that's a "neglect causing death" charge. The issue is there's a gap when the person leaving the loaded gun has no duty to care for the child who finds the gun. If daddy leaves the gun on the nightstand in 3 y/o's room, neglect causing death. If an uncle does, no because uncles have no legal responsibility to provide care...so it's impossible for them to neglect. Other charges may apply, but there's been a maddening inconsistency in charges for non-toddler aged victims over the years.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Site Supporter
    I worked on a big bartender training program that was multi-state. A consulting outfit would contract with various states to train them. As far as entertainers, complete thread drift, my Mom arranged entertainment in some big hotels before WWII. She was always talking to the local sheriffs to get the bands, busted for marijuana in stops, out of the clink for the show. It could be worked out.
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    People who I know:

Family A is a great family. They had their eldest son involuntarily held for evaluation after a suicide threat. Dad said to me, "We can't lose him." Kid turned out OK, currently serving in military, no ill effects from their parental concern.

Family B had issues. Son made online threats about a school shooting/suicide. I became aware and as a mandatory reporter, I called LE in their area. Kid got a psych eval, and a bunch of other shit. Mom confronted me for reporting, and when I asked her how she would have felt if he had shot up the school and then himself, she said, "He would never do that, He didn't mean that." AFAIK the kid is OK as an adult, and both their kids stay as far from the parents as possible.

My friend loves his son enough to do the hard thing rather than risk losing him. I have no sympathy for the Crumbleys or anyone else who ignores warnings, threats, or pleas for help.
    Being a mandatory reporter is tough, especially when you know the parents. Ask me how I know..

Looks like Ethan's nut didn't fall far from Daddy's tree: Ethan Crumbley’s dad calls himself ‘martyr,’ threatens prosecutor in jailhouse call: ‘You better be f–king scared’

The dad of school mass shooter Ethan Crumbley called himself a “martyr’’ in a profanity-laced prison phone chat, blamed the school for his son’s horror crime — and vowed the prosecutor would be “in hell soon.”

James Crumbley — who was convicted of involuntary manslaughter over his son’s shooting at Oxford High School in 2021 — threatened to “take down” Oakland County Prosecutor Karen McDonald multiple times in the recorded undated phone call, where the father shook off responsibility for Ethan, then 15, taking the lives of four students and injuring seven others.

“When I get out of here, I’m going on a f–king rampage, Karen. Yes, Karen McDonald, your s–t is going down,” the dad told an unidentified person on the other end, according to Click on Detroit. “You better be f–king scared.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post

”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    There are a bunch of former jurors who sleep well knowing they made the right call.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Site Supporter

Cool

There has been prior mention in this thread of the Virginia case in which a six-year-old shot a teacher with his mother’s handgun.

There has also been multiple references to the potential for charging the school officials in the Crumley case in Michigan.

it is not outside the realm of possibility that the school officials in Michigan will be charged.

The assistant principal in the Virginia case who ignored multiple warnings about a student with a gun was recently charged with 8 counts of felony child neglect. She is also part of a larger lawsuit against the school district and other school officials.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/04/09/u...smid=url-share

Ex-Assistant Principal at School Where 6-Year-Old Shot Teacher Is Indicted
    A former administrator at Richneck Elementary School in Newport News, Va., where a first-grade teacher was shot last year, has been charged with eight counts of child abuse and neglect.

A former assistant principal at the Virginia elementary school where a 6-year-old boy shot his teacher last year has been indicted on eight felony counts of child abuse and neglect, according to court documents unsealed on Tuesday.

The former assistant principal, Ebony Parker, was indicted by a grand jury last month, according to Newport News Circuit Court records. Each charge carries a maximum sentence of five years in prison.

Last year, Howard E. Gwynn, the Newport News commonwealth’s attorney, asked for a special grand jury to investigate security failures that may have contributed to the shooting and to determine whether others were criminally responsible. His office could not be immediately reached for comment on Tuesday evening. Ms. Parker’s lawyer also could not be immediately reached.

The charges against Ms. Parker came as adults are increasingly being held accountable in cases in which juveniles have caused gun violence.

The mother of the 6-year-old boy, Deja Taylor, was sentenced in December to two years in prison after pleading guilty to felony child neglect. Earlier, she was sentenced to 21 months after pleading guilty to using marijuana while owning a firearm and making false statements about drug use. The indictment against Ms. Parker was also unsealed on the day that two parents in Michigan were sentenced to 10 to 15 years in prison for failing to prevent their son from killing four fellow students in the deadliest school shooting in that state’s history.

The former assistant principal, who resigned after the shooting at Richneck Elementary School in Newport News, Va., is among several school employees listed as defendants in a lawsuit filed last year by the teacher, Abigail Zwerner, who was seriously injured on Jan. 6, 2023, when the boy pulled out the gun during the middle of an afternoon class, aimed it at her and fired. A single bullet passed through Ms. Zwerner’s hand and struck her chest.

According to the suit, which seeks $40 million, the boy had “a history of random violence,” including attacks on students and teachers, with which all the defendants were familiar, and had been removed from kindergarten in the 2021-2022 school year “after he strangled and choked a teacher.” He was allowed to return in the fall of 2022, but was placed on a modified schedule, which required one of his parents to accompany him at school, though neither was present on the day of the shooting.

Teachers’ concerns with his behavior were regularly brought to the attention of school administrators, but were “always dismissed,” according to the civil case. On the morning of the shooting, Ms. Zwerner told Ms. Parker that the boy was in a “violent mood” and had threatened to beat up a younger child, but Ms. Parker had “no response,” according to the suit.

During recess, Ms. Zwerner became suspicious that the boy might have a weapon, and informed two other school employees, according to the suit. One of them searched his backpack but did not find anything, and after recess, told Ms. Parker that, though she could not find anything, the boy had claimed to have a gun, and that Ms. Zwerner had seen him remove something from his backpack, lawyers in the civil case said.
    Ms. Parker “responded that John Doe’s pockets were too small to hold a handgun and did nothing,” according to the suit. Shortly afterward, another teacher informed her that a child claimed to have seen the gun, but Ms. Parker “took no further action.” When another school employee asked to search the boy, she forbade them, according to the suit. Within an hour, Ms. Zwerner had been shot.

Ms. Parker was known to “ignore and downplay concerns expressed by teachers,” and to demean them, according to the suit. Her administrative style, lawyers in the civil case said, “was to permit students to engage in dangerous and disruptive conduct and impose no consequence for breaking the rules, thereby placing all persons in the vicinity of the school and in the community at risk.”

Ms. Zwener's lawyers said in a statement that the criminal charges brought against Ms. Parker underscored the failure of the school district to act to prevent the shooting.

“The school board continues to deny their responsibility to Abby, and this indictment is just another brick in the wall of mounting failures and gross negligence in their case,” they said.

John J. Donohue III, a professor at Stanford Law School, described the charges against Ms. Parker, as well as the cases against the Michigan couple and others held culpable for school shootings, as a “new avenue” being explored by some prosecutors in an attempt to curtail gun violence in the United States.
    “The realization is being made that there are individuals who could and should intervene to stop gun violence and have not in the past,” he said in an interview on Tuesday. “There’s no question that prosecutors and civil litigants have a role to play,” he added, noting that criminal sentences “get people’s attention.”

https://apnews.com/article/newport-n...fbe2b4ab620b4c

Assistant principal ignored warnings that 6-year-old boy had gun before he shot teacher, report says

NORFOLK, Va. (AP) — A former assistant principal at a Virginia elementary school showed a “shocking” lack of response to multiple warnings that a 6-year-old had a gun in the hours before he shot his teacher, according to a grand jury report released Wednesday.

“The child was not searched. The child was not removed from class. The police or SRO was not called,” the report said, referring to a school resource officer.

The report was released a day after the former administrator, Ebony Parker, was charged with eight counts of felony child neglect, one for “each of the eight bullets that endangered all the students” in teacher Abby Zwerner’s classroom, Newport News prosecutors said in a statement.

The 31-page report offers fresh details about the January 2023 shooting and serious wounding of Zwerner, which occurred after the boy brought his mother’s gun to school in a backpack. And it catalogues missed opportunities to provide more resources to the often-misbehaving student, as well as tools Parker could have used to remove him from class, such as alternative school, in the months before the shooting.

“Dr. Parker’s lack of response and initiative given the seriousness of the information she had received on Jan. 6, 2023 is shocking,” the grand jury report said. “This is only heightened by the fact that she was well aware of the child’s past disciplinary issues and had been involved in the decisions to address his behavior” in both the 2021-2022 and 2022-2023 school years.
    Last edited by HCM; 04-13-2024 at 10:57 AM.

User Tag List