Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First pistol RDS. What am I doing wrong

First pistol RDS. What am I doing wrong

Bought a pre owned G17.5 with a 407k X2

Name:  G17 407k.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  32.2 KB

Keep in mind this is my first PISTOL RDS. Maybe that matters. The gun is stock and does not look used.

Took it to the range last week to sight in. Luckily it was pretty much dead on but shooting a little high at 15 yards. And by a "little high" I mean just above whatever the dot is on. At 10 yards its dead on. I tried adjusting 1 click at a time then fire 5 rounds at 10 yards and 5 at 15 yards. I did this 6 times (so 6 clicks), not counting just generally trying to figure out what's what.....like maybe trigger control or grip. I saw no results, I was getting frustrated and decided to just cool off and revisit this next week.

Next week was this past Sunday. Went to the same range, same ammo, a mix of 115 Megtech and 124 S&B. At first I didnt touch anything and just shot it as i left it the week before. Blablabla long story short I moved the sight 4 more clicks and still the same issue. At 10 yards dead on. At 15 just above and at 20 just above the 15. Almost like every 5 yards is 1 step up.

At this point its a total of 10 clicks down at 15 yards, No rest and the distance is known, youre not guessing (punch in the distance you want into a computer pad and hit "go")

The target is a 2 inch circle and the 6 MOA dot covers it at those distances.

How I see the target at 15 yards

Name:  distance.jpg
Views: 320
Size:  46.4 KB

Same thing zoomed in

Name:  zoomed in.jpg
Size:  41.6 KB

10 yards

Name:  10y.jpg
Views: 323
Size:  23.3 KB

15 and 20

Name:  15 & 20y.jpg
Size:  25.5 KB

Each orange circle is about 2 inches and the distance between each circle is about 2 inches.

What am I doing wrong that after 10 clicks down im getting the same results as I did before i touched anythng?

Quote Originally Posted by 4RNR View Post
    Bought a pre owned G17.5 with a 407k X2

Name:  G17 407k.jpg
Size:  32.2 KB

Keep in mind this is my first PISTOL RDS. Maybe that matters. The gun is stock and does not look used.

Took it to the range last week to sight in. Luckily it was pretty much dead on but shooting a little high at 15 yards. And by a "little high" I mean just above whatever the dot is on. At 10 yards its dead on. I tried adjusting 1 click at a time then fire 5 rounds at 10 yards and 5 at 15 yards. I did this 6 times (so 6 clicks), not counting just generally trying to figure out what's what.....like maybe trigger control or grip. I saw no results, I was getting frustrated and decided to just cool off and revisit this next week.

Next week was this past Sunday. Went to the same range, same ammo, a mix of 115 Megtech and 124 S&B. At first I didnt touch anything and just shot it as i left it the week before. Blablabla long story short I moved the sight 4 more clicks and still the same issue. At 10 yards dead on. At 15 just above and at 20 just above the 15. Almost like every 5 yards is 1 step up.

At this point its a total of 10 clicks down at 15 yards, No rest and the distance is known, youre not guessing (punch in the distance you want into a computer pad and hit "go")

The target is a 2 inch circle and the 6 MOA dot covers it at those distances.

How I see the target at 15 yards

Name:  distance.jpg
Views: 320
Size:  46.4 KB

Same thing zoomed in

Name:  zoomed in.jpg
Size:  41.6 KB

10 yards

Name:  10y.jpg
Size:  23.3 KB

15 and 20

Name:  15 & 20y.jpg
Size:  25.5 KB

May need to contact holosun. Unfortunately i have had similar experiences, with 3 different dots. They are getting better but still some issues

Site Supporter
    Pretty sure it's 1 MOA per click. That's a quarter inch at 25 yards. Additionally, with a dot, due to the higher height over bore, you see more variation in vertical POI based on distance. With a 10y zero, I think ~4-6" high at 25 would be pretty normal. That's why most RDS shooters zero at 25y. The POI starts at the muzzle like an inch offset from the dot and then "rises" to meet whatever your zero distance is, just like a rifle, and in the case of a 10y zero, would then keep rising above the POA and then settle out and drift back through it at your far zero distance.

Quote Originally Posted by Noah View Post
    Pretty sure it's 1 MOA per click. That's a quarter inch at 25 yards. Additionally, with a dot, due to the higher height over bore, you see more variation in vertical POI based on distance. With a 10y zero, I think ~4-6" high at 25 would be pretty normal. That's why most RDS shooters zero at 25y. The POI starts at the muzzle like an inch offset from the dot and then "rises" to meet whatever your zero distance is, just like a rifle, and in the case of a 10y zero, would then keep rising above the POA and then settle out and drift back through it at your far zero distance.
    I was trying for a 15 - 20 yard zero. Why I kept adjusting it down.

Do the controls somehow lock, maybe?

I cant edit my original post but i realize now that didnt correctly explain myself. I was trying to sight in for 15 - 20 yards. Plan was to get 15 and see what thats like and then probably move to 20. I was not trying to stop at 10

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 4RNR View Post
    I was trying for a 15 - 20 yard zero. Why I kept adjusting it down.

Do the controls somehow lock, maybe?
    Not on the Holosuns, no, should just click adjust

I zero at 25. I know someone that zeros at 12.5 yards, which is easier than 25, and says it is within .5 inch at 25 yards. There is offset with a red dot on a pistol, but it is nowhere like an AR.

If you do determine the optic is messed up, and replace it, realize the K is a slimline sized optic, with a smaller display. An optic with a larger display will be easier to shoot.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Have you seen any downward shift in POI? As someone mentioned in a previous post, the 407K has 1 MOA adjustments so 10 clicks at 15y should have brought you down only 1.5”. Try giving it another 10-15 clicks down. If you don’t notice another 1.5”-2” downward shift from that, then something is wrong. Double check that the optic is mounted properly with the screws torqued to spec so the optic itself isn’t moving. If the optic is mounted properly, it might be a mechanical issue and reaching out to Holosun should get you squared away.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

A great use for a Wheeler laser sighter, is you can move windage and elevation adjustments and see if they track properly reference the laser.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    A great use for a Wheeler laser sighter, is you can move windage and elevation adjustments and see if they track properly reference the laser.
    That's true for any laser sight, really. I use my X400UH laser all the time for dealing with POA/POI shifts, reconfirming zeros, co-witnessing between different sights (e.g., co-witnessing my laser to my LPVO at 100 yards, then co-witnessing my newly installed 1200 RDS to the laser, and now I have a zeroed 1200 RDS without firing a shot), etc.

User Tag List