Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Glock 30 Gen 5: Reports and Experiences

I always wondered why Glock simply didn't mimic the receiver bottom profile to that of the G19/G23. I'm thinking of GJM's comments recently about the G23 kinda trumping a G29/G30 in terms of handling and package size.

Con: I have a Gen5 G23 on/in hand already, and vetted....

Pro: I like the Glock 21, and going with a Gen5 G30 in magazine capacity limited Washington state makes sense....

Since I have the G23 and G21, getting a G30 is more of a "want" than a discernible "need" per se.

I'll see how I do in GSSF this year; if I win a certificate, I can see checking the Gen5 G30 box.

Best, Jon
    Sponsored by Check-Mate Industries and BH Spring Solutions
    Certified Glock Armorer

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    I always wondered why Glock simply didn't mimic the receiver bottom profile to that of the G19/G23. I'm thinking of GJM's comments recently about the G23 kinda trumping a G29/G30 in terms of handling and package size.

Con: I have a Gen5 G23 on/in hand already, and vetted....

Pro: I like the Glock 21, and going with a Gen5 G30 in magazine capacity limited Washington state makes sense....

Since I have the G23 and G21, getting a G30 is more of a "want" than a discernible "need" per se.

I'll see how I do in GSSF this year; if I win a certificate, I can see checking the Gen5 G30 box.

Best, Jon
    The G30 is good for a native 10 round gun.
    But it would be even better if it more directly matched the 19/23 with a flush 10 round mag rather than 9 round length with a 10 round extension.

For a "more than 9mm" gun, as much as I prefer 45 to 40 sentimentally, I can see how the 23 would carry and handle better than the 30.

The G30 used to come with a flush 9-rd mag and the extended 10-rd...but the 9-rounder was really 8, because it was a feat of strength to get the 9th in there (and when you did, the mag wouldn't seat). So I guess that was the original thinking, in making the grip shorter.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SwampDweller View Post
    I also had the magazine pinching my pinkie between the little lip of the bottom of the grip.
    I hate that about both the G36 and the G30 (pinching where mag mates with grip frame)
    I actually carry a G30 Gen4 and use the flush fit mags (9 rounders) and shoot with "pinkie under" grip like a G26.

Quote Originally Posted by TikritTourist View Post
    I hate that about both the G36 and the G30 (pinching where mag mates with grip frame)
    I actually carry a G30 Gen4 and use the flush fit mags (9 rounders) and shoot with "pinkie under" grip like a G26.
    Actually, the Gen 5 G30 seems to have more of a lip on the front of the grip. I think this contributes to it in my case. I don't get it with a G26.

In any case, shooting the G30 again yesterday, I had a couple more stoppages. Considering it's been happening with my Gen 5 G21s as well, not sure what's going on. Gen 4 .45s have been flawless.

Site Supporter
    Actually, the Gen 5 G30 seems to have more of a lip on the front of the grip. I think this contributes to it in my case. I don't get it with a G26.

In any case, shooting the G30 again yesterday, I had a couple more stoppages. Considering it's been happening with my Gen 5 G21s as well, not sure what's going on. Gen 4 .45s have been flawless.
    You're having really bad luck with the Gen 5 .45's!

Quote Originally Posted by Noah View Post
    You're having really bad luck with the Gen 5 .45's!
    I know... and its annoying cause I really like the way they shoot. But at this point I'm tired of blowing through .45 to try and vet one only for it to reset the "rounds since last stoppage" count when I have Gen 4s and HK's in .45 that are flawless. Think I'm gonna cut my losses.

...Think I'm gonna cut my losses.
    Thanks for sharing your experiences. They've certainly tamped down my enthusiasm for a 30.5, which, I already knew I didn't need, but for sure had stupid, stupid wantsies.

Quote Originally Posted by Gun Mutt View Post
    Thanks for sharing your experiences. They've certainly tamped down my enthusiasm for a 30.5, which, I already knew I didn't need, but for sure had stupid, stupid wantsies.
    Glad to be able to contribute information, at least that's something good to come out of it. If I do get another G30 it will likely be a Gen 3 SF or Gen 4. Maybe I'll give the Gen 5 G21 and G30 another chance in a few years, but it's another reminder of why I have a personal policy of not buying a new model or generation of firearm for at least a year or more after it comes out.

Any other experiences with the Gen 5 G30? I might be in the market for a G30 pretty soon and kinda like the Gen 5.
    **OK**

User Tag List