Thread: Integrally suppressed shotgun?

Site Supporter

Integrally suppressed shotgun?

For the forum’s consideration: this is an idea that’s been rolling around in my head for a while that I probably wouldn’t spend my own money on, but think would be pretty cool if it worked especially for farm raised quail that we hunt around here or quieter clay shooting in a backyard set-up.

What if Briley or whoever took one of their .410 sub-caliber barrel sleeves https://www.briley.com/c-416-compani...tube-sets.aspx. machined baffles into the outside of the sleeve and ported the barrel in between the baffles?

Would you have enough volume to reduce the sound level enough to make it worthwhile?

How would you register the thing since the 12 gauge barrel would become a suppressor part?

What else am I missing here?

@Outpost75 or anybody else with some machining and design skills, any thoughts?
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Posted because how can I not?
    Name:  Chigurh.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  25.9 KB
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Seems like it could work just like the integrally suppressed barrels for the 10/22, and it would be cool because it could be made to be only 18" and with the low pressures of shotshells it would probably be cool. But I wonder if it could be made with enough volume (maybe...) in 12ga without interfering with the mag tube? It obviously would be simplest and cheapest to do something round.

"Moderated" shotguns are popular in England but I cannot today find anything but a muzzle device. Somewhere I saw an integrated design.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

I had remembered this long choke tube thread extension that is used for urban hunting, lowering the noise just with a longer barrel with no tax stamp.
    They also offer a conventional can that requires a stamp.

Does seem like the low pressures could be accomplished easily with something that was an extension to a 14" barrel. Thinking like a small enough diameter that a magazine tube could run parallel under it, with the whole thing tied together with one of those pesky barrel clamps. When it gets dirty it is easy enough to take a shotgun barrel off and dunk it.

User Tag List