Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fixed Magazine for AR-15's

Site Supporter
    Thank you for all the input so far.

I want to be alignment with the laws in case I shoot a scum bag and then have all the folks putting me through all the cavity searches. I got some kids and a wife and not a large sum for legal fees.

Thinking the fixed magazine is simpler than replacing the barrel (pinned flash hider), stock, and grip.

Still thinking…. Thank you gentleman.

Currently by the ocean in CA and on the move to a more free state. Three more years!
    Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    Some people can’t handle the responsibility that comes with a badge.

Interesting education for folks who are lucky enough not to have to deal with such things. Thank you. I have a good buddy that lives in San Bernardino County in the desert south of Apple Valley. Very Pro 2A Sheriff and area from what he tells me. Loves the area but hates everything that goes with it. If you’re in the area, stop into Off the Grid Brewing and tell Mike hi!
    Too funny, Apple Valley is about 25 minutes from my desert house and I the guys who told me they didn't care about the configuration of my rifle were from the San Bernardino County Sheriff's office. The Sheriff is great!

I will head over there for a beer next time I am up there.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    Not telling anyone what to do here just an observation.

I've seen match videos from the Piru Gun Range https://ctala.com/. I watched competitors with AR15s firing more than 10 rounds and dropping magazines without the California Bullet Button.

So I asked the guy who sent me the videos about what I saw. He said no one cares about the restrictions/laws! I went on to ask what about CA Law Enforcement Officers present and seeing the blatant disregard for the law. The response: "I already told you no one cares".

Obviously no one cares, until they do! I was definitely surprised at what I saw in the videos.
    No one cares until SOMEONE CARES! I’ve watched the same California Leo’s arrest surfers for violating Covid lockdowns stand and let a city burn. Get sideways with Dudley Doright on the the way home from the range and I would be in for a lot of crap I didn’t want to deal with. I played by the rules with my rifles when I lived there because I knew I wasn’t going to get any breaks from the powers that be. I was in the belly of the beast - San Francisco Bay. Might have been different if I was in San Bernardino or Shasta but not in the leftist cesspools.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie Monster View Post
    Thank you for all the input so far.

I want to be alignment with the laws in case I shoot a scum bag and then have all the folks putting me through all the cavity searches. I got some kids and a wife and not a large sum for legal fees.

Thinking the fixed magazine is simpler than replacing the barrel (pinned flash hider), stock, and grip.

Still thinking…. Thank you gentleman.

While I can certainly understand the desire to keep the rifle looking unmolested - a “featureless build” is really the way to go. Far more usable in a practical or defensive situation. There is no constructive possession of AWs in Kail so I would just buy a featureless upper and run that with whatever gay fin grip you choose on your lower. You can keep your original upper un-molested for when you are out of state or the “party” starts…..
    Last edited by Suvorov; 02-06-2024 at 09:18 PM.

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Quote Originally Posted by ECVMatt View Post
    Too funny, Apple Valley is about 25 minutes from my desert house and I the guys who told me they didn't care about the configuration of my rifle were from the San Bernardino County Sheriff's office. The Sheriff is great!

I will head over there for a beer next time I am up there.

Tell him “Jim...Sack of Doorknobs” sent you. The beer will flow!
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

Since we're on topic, does anyone use MEAN Arms chargers aka "loaders"?

Do they work with any normal upper (with dust cover)? All the promo videos use their sample upper, with an ejection port without a dust cover, and shaped to accept their charger (or accept it better).

Also, now that they are focused on the Bearing Delay uppers, are they going to continue to supply the chargers? They are obviously wear items.

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    While I can certainly understand the desire to keep the rifle looking unmolested - a “featureless build” is really the way to go. Far more usable in a practical or defensive situation.
    I fully agree with the above if the AR is going to be assigned to a self-defense role. There have been massive discussions about the issues of the mag locked ARs for defense use. Primarily in regards to clearing malfunctions. For example with a double feed you'd have challenge on your hands vs a featureless AR that allows you to quickly and easily drop the magazine. Another example would be; how do you drop the mag to clear a malfunction if the bolt is jammed and has partially traveled back into the receiver extension?

If we're taking practical, I'd rather buy a FightLIte SCR or KelTec SU16CA. In fact, I did when I lived in California.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by Exiledviking View Post
    I fully agree with the above if the AR is going to be assigned to a self-defense role. There have been massive discussions about the issues of the mag locked ARs for defense use. Primarily in regards to clearing malfunctions. For example with a double feed you'd have challenge on your hands vs a featureless AR that allows you to quickly and easily drop the magazine. Another example would be; how do you drop the mag to clear a malfunction if the bolt is jammed and has partially traveled back into the receiver extension?
    Yep, when I used to work the line at my range I would say about half my time fixing and clearing malfunctions was with fixed magazine ARs.

The other advantage is that the use of standard capacity magazines does not turn the rifle into an unregistered “Assault Weapon.” While possession of standard capacity magazines opens a can of worms as to their “legality”, the use of them in featureless builds is not prohibited.
    Last edited by Suvorov; 02-08-2024 at 10:55 AM.

In my initial post I recommended the Mag Latch... and for me it was great for ARs that had features. In light of other responses here I'll add some more.

I always had one rifle that was featureless and I'll agree with previous posts that for a practical use rifle in CA you want to go featureless. Unless I was planning to stay in CA forever, which I wasn't (and I'm no longer there... Ha! Pffftttthhhh!!!!!), I wouldn't mess up a good AR build making it featureless. I'd get an upper with a muzzle break or nothing, and build a new lower with a fixed stock and CA legal grip. I don't remember the brand I used as I gave them away right before I left.

Other options include "native" featureless guns such as Ruger Mini-14s, Springfield M1As, the Fightlight (or whatever it's called) lower and there are others.

I shot at Piru going back to around 2001 and taught all around the state. I won't go into detail, but rules are frequently ignored... that doesn't mean that one day the cop gets you with a laser or radar and you get a ticket, or one day they decide to show up where you are and start "enforcing". I wouldn't take that chance myself.

Check out CompMag to make your AR CA compliant. It's a fixed, 10 round mag that side loads and is removable with a tool. There's no mod to your rifle. You can just pop the CompMag back in to instantly become compliant. https://www.compmag.net/ar-15-compmag/

User Tag List