Thread: Remington 870 Express Tactical Magpul production quality

Remington 870 Express Tactical Magpul production quality

I have just received my new Remington 870 Express Tactical with Magpul furniture from the factory. I’ve seen alot of info regarding changes in quality for these shotguns over the recent years and thought I’ll share my observations. I disassembled the gun and cleaned it. Took me some time to clean the inside of the barrel as it was full of crap. After thorough cleaning I can confirm that inside the barrel it’s perfect mirror finish. I’m not sure if it’s crom plated (probably not), but it shines just the same as the barrel of my M4. Perfect mirror finish. I can also confirm that polishing of chamber is excellent. Overall fit and finish is very good, didn’t see any scratches or signs of machining on the barrel, mag tube or receiver (in/out). Action is smooth as butter. For corrosion protection, after cleaning I applied Ballistol on all surfaces inside and out and wiped again. While applying Ballistol I noticed that patch was becoming brown very quick, but I assume it’s normal? I am not a gunsmith or gun professional by any means, but all in all I was very happy with fit and finish of this shotgun.

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by CEBEP View Post
    I have just received my new Remington 870 Express Tactical with Magpul furniture from the factory. I’ve seen alot of info regarding changes in quality for these shotguns over the recent years and thought I’ll share my observations. I disassembled the gun and cleaned it. Took me some time to clean the inside of the barrel as it was full of crap. After thorough cleaning I can confirm that inside the barrel it’s perfect mirror finish. I’m not sure if it’s crom plated (probably not), but it shines just the same as the barrel of my M4. Perfect mirror finish. I can also confirm that polishing of chamber is excellent. Overall fit and finish is very good, didn’t see any scratches or signs of machining on the barrel, mag tube or receiver (in/out). Action is smooth as butter. For corrosion protection, after cleaning I applied Ballistol on all surfaces inside and out and wiped again. While applying Ballistol I noticed that patch was becoming brown very quick, but I assume it’s normal? I am not a gunsmith or gun professional by any means, but all in all I was very happy with fit and finish of this shotgun.
    LGS got one in, it looked had a good bit of preservative on/in it, which is not a bad thing in and of itself. My last couple of new purchases had something like cosmoline/RIG/whatever on them and would turn patches brown.

FWIW, the gun at the LGS also overall looked better in build quality than the Expresses from the era of "The Troubles."
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

User Tag List