Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Limited Capacity Glock Magazines

My experience with 10-round Glock OEM G19 mags is not 100%; and no experience with Magpul G17 10-rounders and OEM G17 10-rounders.

My G26 OEM mags are 100% and also the Magpul 12-rounders.
    While I own one or two G17 10-rounders, I cannot remember ever trying/using them.

With the G19 OEM 10-rounders generally I cannot get the 1st round (when loaded with all 10) to load a JHP round from slide-lock. It'll load an FMJ round from slide-lock. I've heard some folks will load nine JHP rounds with the 10th (top round) being a FMJ round. I have no problem carrying 15 rounders in California, but I've been exempt for the most part being a Calif-retired LEO.

Here's the latest GlockTalk thread on someone who wanted to try, yet again, modding Glock OEM followers and/or mags to get more reliable 10-round mag feeding. I've personally never tried filing/grinding on my followers or mag bodies but here's the thread where the OP has done so.
    https://www.glocktalk.com/threads/10...#post-32479609

Folks in 10-round states will need to do some soul-searching and risk-taking as to whether to carry 15/17 round mags vs. validating the use of 10-round mags in whichever brand & model of handgun to carry or possess, whether in California or other states. Not to get into legalities, but the risk of getting stopped and searched or getting into a self-defense shootout situation might be considered low.

A good alternate and completely in accordance with state law would be (as I recall some old DocGKR advice) is to just get a G26 (any gen but Gen3 is CA Roster OK'd) which, for me, seems 100% reliable with its 10-round mags. I know, it'd would have a shorter grip and no light rail, but concealed carry always seems to have compromises, and yes, more money for a gun, holster, qualification, and test firing. The G26 is still one of my favorites even though I have G19gen5, G17gen5, and even a G34gen4 guns which I'll instead often carry.

It is disappointing Glock hasn't been able to market reliable 10-round G17 or G19 mags after ~35-40 years.

Site Supporter
    A G19 cut to 26 length grip would get a light rail for those who want that.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

We've had some recent discussion on this. In my testing, with a Gen 3 G17, Gen 3 G19, Gen4 G22 and Gen5 G23, I've found that Gen5 orange followered magazines are the way to go with 10 round magazines regarding Glock magazines.

Magpul 10 round magazines for the G17 and G19 have also performed excellently.

Earlier (or concurrently produced) non-Gen5 black-followered 10 round magazines are good as range magazine only with ball ammunition.

The most difficult 9mm testing cartridges are 147 gr JHP; if they'll perform with that, in my experience you'll have no issues with 115 and 124 gr JHPs. My Gen5 orange followered 10 rounders worked flawlessly with it, specifically Federal HST law enforcement contract cartridges.

Best, Jon
    Sponsored by Check-Mate Industries and BH Spring Solutions
    Certified Glock Armorer

Quote Originally Posted by L-2 View Post
    My experience with 10-round Glock OEM G19 mags is not 100%; and no experience with Magpul G17 10-rounders and OEM G17 10-rounders.

While I own one or two G17 10-rounders, I cannot remember ever trying/using them.

With the G19 OEM 10-rounders generally I cannot get the 1st round (when loaded with all 10) to load a JHP round from slide-lock. It'll load an FMJ round from slide-lock. I've heard some folks will load nine JHP rounds with the 10th (top round) being a FMJ round. I have no problem carrying 15 rounders in California, but I've been exempt for the most part being a Calif-retired LEO.

Here's the latest GlockTalk thread on someone who wanted to try, yet again, modding Glock OEM followers and/or mags to get more reliable 10-round mag feeding. I've personally never tried filing/grinding on my followers or mag bodies but here's the thread where the OP has done so.

Folks in 10-round states will need to do some soul-searching and risk-taking as to whether to carry 15/17 round mags vs. validating the use of 10-round mags in whichever brand & model of handgun to carry or possess, whether in California or other states. Not to get into legalities, but the risk of getting stopped and searched or getting into a self-defense shootout situation might be considered low.

A good alternate and completely in accordance with state law would be (as I recall some old DocGKR advice) is to just get a G26 (any gen but Gen3 is CA Roster OK'd) which, for me, seems 100% reliable with its 10-round mags. I know, it'd would have a shorter grip and no light rail, but concealed carry always seems to have compromises, and yes, more money for a gun, holster, qualification, and test firing. The G26 is still one of my favorites even though I have G19gen5, G17gen5, and even a G34gen4 guns which I'll instead often carry.

It is disappointing Glock hasn't been able to market reliable 10-round G17 or G19 mags after ~35-40 years.
    Sorry if I missed it is this with gen 5 orange follower Factory magazines?

RE: Post 14

Perhaps I'm not quite understanding the question, but I'll try to answer things.

Glock currently has two orange-colored followers for standard 9mm double-stack mags.

To me, the color, whether black or orange is irrelevant, as my mags are generally kept loaded all the time and I'm unable to see the follower color when mags are fully loaded.

An orange-colored 10-round Glock follower is part number 1265 (2183 in black) and is molded with a number "2" on the follower.
    An orange-colored regular capacity follower (and used in a standard 10-round G26 mag) is part number 5233 (1812 in black) and is molded with a number "7" into it.

If there were older orange-colored 9mm follower versions, I don't know or remember and most or all companies online I've seen don't appear to stock or advertise the older followers once Glock comes out with a newer version.

Edited for info I just remembered.
    I recall installing an orange #7 follower into one of my G19 mags (15-rounder) and got some failures to lock back once mag was empty. I merely put back in a black-colored #6 follower and all was good again. I didn't bother debugging why that newer #7 follower didn't work 100%. I suspect there was a plastic burr somewhere on the follower or mag body but I wasn't about to work disassemble one magazine and hand-file the follower or mag while at the shooting range that day when returning to the older #6 follower cured that issue.
    Last edited by L-2; 02-05-2024 at 03:03 PM.

I would skip the anxiety over whether a life saving tool’s ban compliant mags are reliable or not by simply going to a G26 with standard 10rd mags, or chopping a 19/17 grip to take G26 mags.

If I lived in a ban state I’d rather carry a gun using a magazine that was designed from the start to have 10 (or less) rounds. Or a revolver.

I live in a ban state (Washington), and while I have grandfathered high capacity magazines for all except my Gen5 G23, I'm losing no sleep over using 10 round magazines that are properly vetted with a given platform. Platform ergonomics are the crucial decider for me-far secondary is magazine capacity.

I much prefer a G17, a G19, an G21 or a G23 with 10 rounders than a G26 or G27, or G48 or G43X. With .45 ACP, I'll admit to being tempted by the new Gen5 G30, but it's hardly a "need."

I don't feel under armed or inadequate with a 7/8 round 1911, or a 10 round .40 High Power. Frankly, I significantly doubt that outside of organizational use (and probably rarely there) that there's much of a need to go to a reload in a defensive situation, other than to have a full magazine in the gun after an armed encounter, or to have one on board in case of a malfunction with the originally loaded magazine.

Yeah, it's irritating to have others dictate magazine capacity, but for the vast, vast majority of us I strongly suspect that its operationally irrelevant.

Best, Jon
    Sponsored by Check-Mate Industries and BH Spring Solutions
    Certified Glock Armorer

See this thread about my Gen5 Glock 19 10 round mags…

Long story short… they work. Not only with ball, but with numerous JHP rounds, of all grains and sizes. I wouldn’t hesitate carrying them for self-defense.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ound-magazines

Quote Originally Posted by L-2 View Post

Your data is inaccurate on Glocks latest rendition on Gen 5 G19 10 round mags.

Post 19, thanks for the info.
    Apparently or perhaps, Glock maybe did make some change(s) to its latest 10-round G19 mag.
    I wonder what the changes were.
    Last edited by L-2; 02-06-2024 at 12:25 AM.

User Tag List