Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Limited Capacity Glock Magazines

I believe that last year there was a realization within Glock (or at least Glock Smyrna) that with some 9 states with magazine capacity limits, and more probably to occur, that Glock needed to have truly credible 10 round magazines for their full- and compact-sized platforms, or they would be in effect orphaning (or severely limiting the usage venues) sales of new guns effected, or significantly surrendering the 10 round magazine market to aftermarket manufacturers.

I believe accordingly that there were manufacturing running changes incorporated into the followers; the easy button are Gen5 orange followered 10 round magazines. Since they'll fit in previous generation guns (except the 19X), they're the ones I'll use for EDC/duty with JHP cartridges. Earlier 10 round non-Gen5 magazines are used for non-JHP use, such as range/IDPA, etc.

Best, Jon
    Sponsored by Check-Mate Industries and BH Spring Solutions
    Certified Glock Armorer

Just to add to my experience with this.

I bought a Gen 5 17 in early 2019. Living in a ban state I received 10 round mags.

First thousand rounds I had no issues, however, started to develop issues with FTF on the last round or two in a mag occasionally. This would be maybe 1 issue every 100 or 200 rounds. I put an RMA in to Glock, and they sent over some different followers (black not orange) that I should try.

That completely solved my issue and haven’t had a malfunction since.

I also put a few thousand rounds through the Magpul 17 10 round mags, without so much as a hiccup either.

I still however, have a bit of a trust issue with the Glock OEM 10 round mags. If I had to carry my 17 at this point, I would probably trust the Magpuls more personally. But luckily I have a G26 and avoid this dilemma entirely.

Site Supporter
    A small experiment. Yesterday we had a practice session, one stage was a 20 round stage, so two mags (ban state), shoot ten, reload shoot ten. No topping off to start with eleven. Ran the stage twice. Gun was a Glock 17 Gen 5 MOS with an SRO mounted. The mags were three brand new OEM Glock 10 rounders with black followers (that I had laying around), straight from the package and one 10 round Magpul that had been used for a couple years - about 25 outings.

The Hollow points were four mags loaded with :

Two with - Sig-Sauer Elite Defense V Crown 124 GR JHP
    Two with - Hornady American Gunner 124 gr XTP +P

Results - no jams with any of the 4 mags. I did note that racking in a round seemed a little stiffer than an FMJ.

Later runs on other stages with WWB or Herter FMJ - no jams. These were with well used magazines.

Side things to note. One guy mentioned that during the previous match, his Hellcat had a KB, dismantling the gun and minor injuries to his hand. Didn't see that as it was in another time slot. Due to using some "dude's" reloads.

So not a conclusive, intensive test but just for info. The EDC is a Glock 26 Gen 3 with 10 round OEMs for our wonderful bans to keep America safe.

Side bar again - for our RDS debates and geezers. I don't see a massive improvement over irons but I haven't truly put in a lot of practice with the RDS, just shoot it at matches. That's all the time I have.
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    We've had some recent discussion on this. In my testing, with a Gen 3 G17, Gen 3 G19, Gen4 G22 and Gen5 G23, I've found that Gen5 orange followered magazines are the way to go with 10 round magazines regarding Glock magazines.

Magpul 10 round magazines for the G17 and G19 have also performed excellently.
    Are you running the Magpul follower in the Magpul mags or the orange Glock follower in Magpul mags?
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    Are you running the Magpul follower in the Magpul mags or the orange Glock follower in Magpul mags?
    No customization, cannibalization or parts swapping whatsoever; Magpul magazines are run as they came, same with the Glock magazines.

Best, Jon
    Certified Glock Armorer

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    No customization, cannibalization or parts swapping whatsoever; Magpul magazines are run as they came, same with the Glock magazines.

Best, Jon
    That's what I figured, just wanted to make sure I hadn't misunderstood. Thanks!
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

My preferences are with the Glock Gen5 ones (with the orange followers), as they have performed flawlessly to date, and seem more suitable for protracted use due to their seemingly heavier duty construction and metal liners. I feel totally comfortable using them for EDC, duty, and IDPA/ASI.

Conversely, the Magpuls feel, well, flimsier in comparison. In fairness, I've had zero issues with them (not can I recall of hearing of any), but currently am restricting their use to IDPA/ASI and training. It's nice having both options (and the Magpuls are significantly less expensive than the Glocks), and it'll be interesting to see how the respective magazines hold up under protracted use.

Best, Jon
    Certified Glock Armorer

User Tag List