Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Limited Capacity Glock Magazines

Site Supporter

Limited Capacity Glock Magazines

Limited Capacity Glock Magazines.

Living in California and my carry is either Glock 42 or 48. But it would be nice to have some magazines for my 17 and 19.

Should I use OEM or will Magpul suffice?

Gen 5 OEM 10 rounders with the orange follower

I always stick with OEM for carry mags.

I have about half a dozen 10 round OEM G19 mags that I use regularly at the range for practice. I've been using them for 14 years to see how long they last. They get dropped on the range all the time, are all dinged/scratched up, and have NEVER been taken apart for cleaning/maintenance etc. They are still going strong after cases and cases of ammo through them over the years.

I have and use PMags too since they came out, and only one of them have worn out.

Still, for CCW I recommend OEM mags.

I thought the OEM 10rd limited capacity mags were not considered reliable enough for defense/duty use? I know I've seen multiple people here say that at Glock Armorers courses they are told that the limited capacity 10rd mags are not fit for duty use.

Site Supporter
    OEM, there is a GSSF match in Reno on May 4,5. Sometimes they sell mags for $10 a piece and sometimes have 10 round mags. The armorer can update your Glocks for free.

Site Supporter
    I've used 10 round Glock OEMs for 19s and 17s for many years. After the AWB was lifted, 10 rounders were dumped very cheaply and I bought quite a bit for IDPA matches. Never had a problem with them, except for one G19 mag. Have some Magpul 17s for matches and no trouble with them.

Since I carry a 26 with OEMs for EDC, no problem there.
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

Quote Originally Posted by SwampDweller View Post
    I thought the OEM 10rd limited capacity mags were not considered reliable enough for defense/duty use? I know I've seen multiple people here say that at Glock Armorers courses they are told that the limited capacity 10rd mags are not fit for duty use.
    I think that consensus was pre-G5 mags.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

Site Supporter
    I vaguely remember that the warning was about HPs in the 10 rounds but FMJ ran. Since I don't shoot HP at matches, never tested that out.
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

I tagged this old thread from a few years ago that discussed this and one member offered a solution for sanding them to make them more JHP reliable. There was another more recent thread I don't have tagged about newer followers being the possible remediation step.
    Support the Second Amendment Foundation and the Firearms Policy Coalition, join and give!

Site Supporter
    Thanks for the replies.

Trying to be cheap and probably not the place to do it.

User Tag List