Thread: New Sig P220 45 Elite FTF with rounds stuck in front of extractor

New Sig P220 45 Elite FTF with rounds stuck in front of extractor

Hello all,

I just experienced some failures to feed with my new P220, and I was wondering if anyone here has any insights with this type of malfunction.

Before the first range session I did some light cleaning, added some lube and took it to the range: 0 malfunctions, 250 rounds of Speer Lawman 230gr FMJ.

I cleaned, lubed, and swapped out the factory E2 grips for some Hogue Rubber grips.

On my second outing to the range, I had 3 malfunctions out of 150 rounds of Speer Lawman 230gr FMJ.

All the malfunctions were the same, the rounds got in front of the extractor and caused a jam (photo attached). In two cases, it was the 2nd to last round, and in one case it was the last round. Two of these failures happened with Armscor ACT-MAG's, and one happened with a Sig factory magazine.

Any thoughts on this? Usually if a new gun malfunctions for me it happens during the first range session, and smooths out over time as it breaks in. Since the grips are the only thing I changed, I wonder if that could be the cause, but I have no idea how they would cause this. I may have put a generous amount of grease on the rails, are Sig's very sensitive to over-lubing?

Grip screws interfering with the magazine

Grip interfering with mag catch messing with the mag

Grip interfering with slide lock lever

I have big hands and like the P220 E2 grip but the Hogue G10 checkered are slighty better.

How do you like the elite frame? Have you carried AIWB with it?

I would put the E2 grip back on and see if it fixes it.

Quote Originally Posted by Leroy View Post
    Grip screws interfering with the magazine

Grip interfering with mag catch messing with the mag

Grip interfering with slide lock lever

I have big hands and like the P220 E2 grip but the Hogue G10 checkered are slighty better.

How do you like the elite frame? Have you carried AIWB with it?

I would put the E2 grip back on and see if it fixes it.
    Hey Leroy! Thanks for your thoughts on this.

I followed the advice on Hogue's site and made sure the grip screws don't go in too far by using some Sig lock-washers. I don't see any interference with the mag catch either, but it does seem to contact the slide release lever so maybe you're onto something there. I think the slide release doubles as an ejector with this design.

I was really hoping the grips aren't the cause because they feel a lot better to me and I shot better with them! I thought these rubber Hogues are commonly used on these Sigs, but maybe mine are out of spec. There's no denying grips are the only thing I changed before this malfunction appeared. I'll keep testing and see if the problem disappears if I switch the grips back.

I like the frame a lot! My only comparison for a similar sized single stack .45 is a 1911, and I can shoot this P220 better than I can shoot any 1911, it fits my hand better and I like that there aren't any safety edges I need to wrap my thumb around/over. I haven't carried it yet - I don't really bother buying holsters and stuff until I'm sure a new gun is running reliably

I think I tried the rubber grips before and it interfered with the slide lock so I ditched them before shooting.

I agree on the P220 grip vs a 1911.

User Tag List