Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Taurus Is Making Guns in the USA

*taps the mic*

so uh, I've been mulling over getting a rimfire recently, and my current thinking has been either the more expensive but easy to find and well-reputed LCR in .22lr or making the ballistic upgrade to .22 magnum and opting for the 8 shot 942M from Taurus.

Some points of consideration:

Triggers: I haven't been able to try either of them in person yet. Research suggests the LCR is good but maybe a bit heavier than the centerfire models - which sounds just fine to me. No idea what to expect from the 942. I know rimfires just generally have heavier triggers for the sake of function in a revolver(I briefly owned a Colt Trooper .22 mag, double action was exhausting), but can anyone speak to the 942 in particular?

Availibility: I guess the 942 line has been barely trickling out of the Taurus factory for years now? Seems like they are hard to come by, and indeed, I can't find the exact model I would most like (2" stainless) but there are a handful of 3" matte black models floating around on the internet at the moment, so I'm feeling a bit of pressure to not miss the opportunity.

Guess I'll mention that I'm aware of S&W's J frame .22s. They are expensive and at the bottom of the list at the moment.

So, any suggestions/advice?

I would run from Taurus based on my horrid .22 experiences. Two of my 3 942s were replaced as they couldn’t be repaired. I guess they were that out of spec. They felt rough, ignition was off on some chambers. Just really soured me to the point when my replacements came in, I sold them to my shop at a loss. I just didn’t want any more frustration. Not, ALL 3 of mine back to the mother ship!

Currently have a S&W 43c that has been great, and recently picked up an LCRx .22 WMR that is great.

Good luck!

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    I had a 4" Taurus 9-shot .22 revolver of some flavor years ago. It was "meh" at best. It went on consignment when I bought a S&W Model 17. It was like going from a rusty VW Beetle to a Porsche.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

@jetfire, this may be outside of your purview but is there any talk of Rossi bringing any operations stateside? Or does their inventory already move through the Bainbridge facility?
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    @jetfire, this may be outside of your purview but is there any talk of Rossi bringing any operations stateside? Or does their inventory already move through the Bainbridge facility?
    I’m not @jetfire, but my RP63 shows “Braztech Int’l L.C., Bainbridge, GA” on the side plate.
    "Everything in life is really simple, provided you don’t know a f—–g thing about it." - Kevin D. Williamson

Taurus Holdings Incorporated is the parent company for Taurus USA, Rossi USA, and Heritage Manufacturing. As of right now, all three brands have various levels of US operations through our Bainbridge, GA HQ. For Rossi that includes inspections and final assembly/conversion on some models.

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    Taurus Holdings Incorporated is the parent company for Taurus USA, Rossi USA, and Heritage Manufacturing. As of right now, all three brands have various levels of US operations through our Bainbridge, GA HQ. For Rossi that includes inspections and final assembly/conversion on some models.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    I’m not @jetfire, but my RP63 shows “Braztech Int’l L.C., Bainbridge, GA” on the side plate.
    Mine are marked the same, that’s why I was curious if it was just an administrative center for Rossi importation or if things like QA/QC were taking place there and if there were plans to do some manufacturing here as well.

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    (Just bought a Rossi lever gun. It says the same.)

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    Here's a quick guide to understanding Taurus frame sizes:

605: J-frame sized. Takes the same loaders, fits the same holsters. Same is true for the 905 just in 9mm.
    856: Colt D-frame-ish sized, generally takes most K-frame speed loaders. Fits some J-frame holsters, fits almost all SP101 holsters/K6 holsters.
    65/82: Takes K-frame loaders but are closer to L-frame in external dimensions.
    66 7-shot: Takes 586/686+ loaders and fits similar holsters
    608: approximately N-frame sized, but has its own cylinder charge hole pattern

Trackers: Fits L-frame holsters, and generally takes the same loaders as equivalent caliber L-frames. My 692 tracker shares 7 shot loaders with the Taurus 66 and my 586 L-Comp.
    What about the Model 44 (not the Tracker)? Closer to an N or L Frame?

What about the Model 44 (not the Tracker)? Closer to an N or L Frame?
    N-frame.

Despite their nomenclature as "medium frames" the Taurus 44 and 608 are similar in size to N-frames, allowing them to hold 6 rounds of 44 Mag or 8 rounds of 357 Mag

User Tag List