Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Taurus Is Making Guns in the USA

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    Cracked Tomcat frames
    At least three 92FS with dead triggers out of the box
    Then there was the run of 92Ds with the front sight slot milled at a downward angle

It seems to be a Tennessee problem, not an Italy problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by SwampDweller View Post
    Beretta? Beretta is one of a very few manufacturers I’ve not had guns brought back for warranty returns since the great QC decline of 2020. What have you seen that suggests a QC decline at Beretta? I figured they were one of the exceptions.
    I have seen the front sight dovetail problem firsthand on a 92DXR. Also I have seen a sear installed unnecessarily in a DAO model. Also, completely absent staking on all of the grip bushings, which all unthreaded when the grip screws were removed. All of these problems on one pistol. Some of the barrels I have seen in the last few years looked like they were finished with a Dremel before the black oxide or whatever coating they use is applied. A 92 Elite slide that I have has a sight dovetail that is cut noticeably shallower than typical.

@jetfire, well I was referring to warranty service, not mods/customizations.

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    There is a considerable number of small parts available for purchase on ShopTaurus.Com depending on what you want to do to your gun. There's also a robust aftermarket of additional small parts, again depending on what you want to do to your gun.
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkyv View Post
    Hey, @jetfire. I would like to see Taurus provide better customer service for folks who can and do perform their own firearms repairs. Requirng to send a firearm to the Mothership and waiting weeks and weeks for its return when only a simple replacement part is needed is sophomoric...a non-starter for me.

Quote Originally Posted by sparkyv View Post
    @jetfire, well I was referring to warranty service, not mods/customizations.
    Just so I understand what you’re asking for, are you saying that you want use to send parts to end users so they can perform their own warranty repairs?

There is a considerable number of small parts available for purchase on ShopTaurus.Com depending on what you want to do to your gun. There's also a robust aftermarket of additional small parts, again depending on what you want to do to your gun.
    Huh. How new is that? It looks like you can now buy replacements for buggered screws or bent extractor rods. In terms of spare parts availability that seems like a huge step up over what I remember was available from Taurus. (Which IIRC used to be "nothing.")

I know everybody always wants more more more... but is there a future where people can also get things like hands, cylinder stops or other hard parts? I know fitting those is beyond most customers who will buy them (after demanding them for free) then fuck up the install and blame Taurus for that too... but you can get those parts (and more) for S&Ws from Midway and Brownells. It would be nice to have the same option for Taurus. Especially now that shipping handguns is harder now than it was a year ago because of the new UPS rules.

In any case, the parts availability, the dot-sighted 856 and all the new stuff looks great. I hope you sell them by the conex boxfull.

Quote Originally Posted by jh9 View Post
    Huh. How new is that? It looks like you can now buy replacements for buggered screws or bent extractor rods. In terms of spare parts availability that seems like a huge step up over what I remember was available from Taurus. (Which IIRC used to be "nothing.")

I know everybody always wants more more more... but is there a future where people can also get things like hands, cylinder stops or other hard parts? I know fitting those is beyond most customers who will buy them (after demanding them for free) then fuck up the install and blame Taurus for that too... but you can get those parts (and more) for S&Ws from Midway and Brownells. It would be nice to have the same option for Taurus. Especially now that shipping handguns is harder now than it was a year ago because of the new UPS rules.

In any case, the parts availability, the dot-sighted 856 and all the new stuff looks great. I hope you sell them by the conex boxfull.
    I don't want to rule anything out, but at the same time we have to walk the line of providing parts but also not encouraging people to do things that would void their warranty. In the long scheme of things, I want to be able to provide the same level of support to gunsmiths that you can get with S&W revolvers, but I also have a lot bigger fish to fry in the short term.

Quote Originally Posted by fastbolt View Post
    It would be a nice thing if Taurus firearms could shake its previous spotty reputation, but that means more people would have to be willing to give them a try.
    I'm surprised more haven't gone for the 856. I mean, it's just barely bigger than an LCR, with an extra round. I know the barely bigger can make the already questionable pants pocket carry tricky, but for sweatpants/shorts/around the house day-off carry, it seems pretty magic.
    "It was the fuck aroundest of times, it was the find outest of times."- 45dotACP

Quote Originally Posted by Joe S View Post
    I'm surprised more haven't gone for the 856. I mean, it's just barely bigger than an LCR, with an extra round. I know the barely bigger can make the already questionable pants pocket carry tricky, but for sweatpants/shorts/around the house day-off carry, it seems pretty magic.
    Well, according to the retail BI data I've got, the 856 across all SKUs outsells the LCR across all SKUs. But people are less likely to post about their new Taurus online

Thanks for the Made in USA info regarding Taurus.
    I recently bought a Ruger LCRX .327Fed, even though I haven't had good luck with the brand, just so-so, over the years.

Probably like others, Taurus has generally had a bad reputation in my mind, but admit to never owning one.
    I'm not a person to try another brand just to have something different (from S&W, in this case) and will let others demonstrate over time whether Taurus has become reliable and, therefore, acceptable to me.

Any positive or negative comments get filed away in my brain/mind and I don't want to bother with bad trigger feels or having to send a gun back for warranty/rework/quality-issues. Right now, I'll just have to see how this Ruger LCRX works out, and later, if I'm lucky-enough to score the forthcoming Lipsey's 432UC S&W revolver. At that point, I've pretty much spend my gun-budget for the year.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe S View Post
    I can confirm that the 2” 856 fits great in a Mika pocket holster for a LCR.

Well, according to the retail BI data I've got, the 856 across all SKUs outsells the LCR across all SKUs. But people are less likely to post about their new Taurus online
    That makes sense to me. It had occurred to me after I posted that probably the data I was sampling (PF is my only real glance at the larger gunternet, other than a blog or two) was not representative of the nation.
    "It was the fuck aroundest of times, it was the find outest of times."- 45dotACP

User Tag List