Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Taurus Is Making Guns in the USA

Site Supporter
    Being honest, my 856 did have an issue with a broken firing pin spring. It doesn't quite work with a J frame firing pin spring, but numrich had spare springs for a model 85 and I was able to get a few more spares and now the gun works fine. Lesson learned was to use snap caps or something to cushion firing pin impact for dry fire.

So, the 65 and 82 are equivalent to the K frame? Is the 66 equivalent to the L frame? The 608 an N frame?

How about the smaller frame series like 605 and 856? Obviously they are bigger than a J frame… are they sized between the J and K?

I’d like to see updated sights on the fixed sight models. Something like what S&W has done with the new Lipsey’s specials. A replaceable front sight on the 66 would be nice.

TK is cutting Taurus cylinders for moon clips.

Last, wish Taurus would broaden their offerings on Expert Voice.

Quote Originally Posted by CSW View Post
    I'd love to know why Taurus used to offer the flush 856 hammer to the public, then it was removed.
    I've actually got a spurless 856 hammer right now, that I can't use.

(I bought an 856 parts kit off Gunbroker, specifically to get the spurless hammer. Come to find out, the pin the hammer pivots on is a bit fatter in my 2021 and 2023 guns than this, and the hammer could not be installed. No, I'm not going to drill out the hole. The SN on the barrel points to a 2020 DOM, if the serial number decoder from the Internet is correct.

A is the hammer from the parts kit. B is the hammer from my 2023 856.

And of course it's too tall for my 605.)

Name:  taurus 856 hammers.jpg
Views: 530
Size:  18.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    All the major manufacturers target a return rate of less than 1%, and we're under that along with S&W, Ruger, and Beretta. Your odds of getting a bad S&W are pretty much exactly the same as getting a bad Taurus revolver (very low).
    Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFries View Post
    I have seen the front sight dovetail problem firsthand on a 92DXR. Also I have seen a sear installed unnecessarily in a DAO model. Also, completely absent staking on all of the grip bushings, which all unthreaded when the grip screws were removed. All of these problems on one pistol. Some of the barrels I have seen in the last few years looked like they were finished with a Dremel before the black oxide or whatever coating they use is applied. A 92 Elite slide that I have has a sight dovetail that is cut noticeably shallower than typical.
    https://pistol-training.com/articles...s-perspective/
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Quote Originally Posted by Joe S View Post
    I'm surprised more haven't gone for the 856. I mean, it's just barely bigger than an LCR, with an extra round. I know the barely bigger can make the already questionable pants pocket carry tricky, but for sweatpants/shorts/around the house day-off carry, it seems pretty magic.
    It worked for me the past couple of weeks in relaxed fit Duluth jeans.

https://www.duluthtrading.com/s/DTC/...html?color=WDN

Quote Originally Posted by sharps54 View Post
    I can confirm that the 2” 856 fits great in a Mika pocket holster for a LCR.
    I can confirm that it works well in an Aholster Backbone for an SP-101....I think I'm going to take a heat gun to it next week.

Additionally, the SP-101 fits in a Mika's IWB for an LCR. (The 856 ought to as well, I just haven't stuffed it in the Mikas I have)
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Well, according to the retail BI data I've got, the 856 across all SKUs outsells the LCR across all SKUs. But people are less likely to post about their new Taurus online
    @jetfire,

Out of curiosity, did Taurus drop the 2" stainless CH model from the lineup? This is the only CH version on the website:

https://www.taurususa.com/revolvers/...ncealed-hammer

Just before Christmas, I picked up a 2" SS 856 on consignment at my LGS. Really liking it.

I for one would like to see more CH options available from the factory....or from the parts store. It seems to me that a spurless DAO hammer would not require the fitting that an SA sear requires, but maybe I don't know what I don't know.
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Yup. Your competitors often do it, albeit on a case-by-case basis.
    Thanks for responding to my posts, that's not often done by your competitors.
    Just so I understand what you’re asking for, are you saying that you want use to send parts to end users so they can perform their own warranty repairs?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    @jetfire,

Out of curiosity, did Taurus drop the 2" stainless CH model from the lineup? This is the only CH version on the website:

https://www.taurususa.com/revolvers/...ncealed-hammer

Just before Christmas, I picked up a 2" SS 856 on consignment at my LGS. Really liking it.

I for one would like to see more CH options available from the factory....or from the parts store. It seems to me that a spurless DAO hammer would not require the fitting that an SA sear requires, but maybe I don't know what I don't know.
    I would add that in my opinion a hammer spur is a bad idea on a concealed carry revolver in most instances. The exception is when it is needed for a retention strap. I will echo the call for more concealed hammer or spurless hammer options.
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Site Supporter
    I’m the odd man out. For me, a hammer is a must have. Preferably spurless, but I’ll take a spur over no hammer.

DAO with a spurless hammer is what I prefer, but I understand the desire for a concealed hammer.

Quote Originally Posted by sparkyv View Post
    Yup. Your competitors often do it, albeit on a case-by-case basis.
    Thanks for responding to my posts, that's not often done by your competitors.
    For a number of reasons that's a no-go for us, and the simplest explanation is "because lawyers exist." A more complex explanation would be something I'd do on a podcast or a media appearance, since it would take a while to fully draw it out.

User Tag List