Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rounds on Board?

Site Supporter
    15-23

Site Supporter
    J frame - Usually five plus six in a speed strip. I've been experimenting with carrying a speedloader using the old Ted Blocker wire speedloader holder, and it seems to work okay. I need to buy another HKS speedloader because it's the only one that works with that wire holder and my two J frames each require different bullet weights.

K/L/N frames - Six plus a speedloader plus a speed strip (.38/.357) or a 2x2x2 pouch, so 18 total. An exception is my 22-4, for which it's six plus an extra moon clip. I rarely carry the L & N frames anymore.
    "Everything in life is really simple, provided you don’t know a f—–g thing about it." - Kevin D. Williamson

For just a wheelgun J frame mode:

351c & 2 of the 10 round speed strips loaded 2_2_2_1 for 21 rounds on person.

Will perhaps update that to 432UC mode at some point @18 RDS total. But for bare bare minimum, I can see the 351c sticking around.

May also play with the 351c backed up by an NAA 22WMR with @rhamre hook grip in the offside pocket.
    https://hamreforge.com/product/naa-m...num-mini-hook/
    Last edited by jandbj; 02-03-2024 at 07:49 AM.

I don't do the revolver thing that often, but when I do, 12.
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

Six in the gun and two speedloaders/moonclips depending on which gun, for a total of 18

I doubt I’d ever need two reloads but I’m confident in my ability to drop and lose a reloading device under stress

Five or six in in the cylinder is the daily norm, for the primary firearm. The most-often carried weapon holds six. (K-Snub.)

Four spare cartridges per slow strip are the norm, with the number of strips varying from one to three. So, the daily minimum could be figured at ten total cartridges.

I am inconsistent with speed loaders, so, there is no “every day” factor.

An entire spare firearm is not unusual, but not “every” day. Road Rage is a quite trendy local crime, lately, so, a Glock G17 tends go along for the ride, either in a belt holster, or as a “bag gun.” Situational, not “every” day.

It is normal for me to keep two G17 mags, and one 1911 mag, in my vehicle. They fit in a specific niche, readily available to the driver, and that particular combination does not rattle, as I drive. The ammo in these mags only “counts,” of course, if I am carrying a Glock or 1911.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

As this thread is in the revolver forum I'll only answer for my revolvers.
    I may be carrying any revolver or semiauto or even two handguns on any given day, therefore the "EDC" phrase doesn't quite apply.

My revolvers have capacities of 5, 6, 7, or 8 rounds. I'll carry a reload or even two reloads, which may be a 2nd gun, speed-strip, speed-loader, or moon-clip, or a combination consisting of two or three types.

If the revolver is the 2nd gun to a semiauto, I may not be carrying a reload for that revolver, but I'll have a spare mag for that semiauto on me. For example, when I was a LEO, depending on assignment/mission, I'd typically have my issued G17gen4, with 2 spare mags, and a 5-shot revolver somewhere on me. I suppose there may have been times where I also carried a reload for one of my 5-shot revolvers, too, but it would not have been something I'd normally do.

There were probably a few occasions where I'd have 3 handguns on me, and either a shotgun or AR15 with me too; but my perceived activity and threat level would have been higher-than-normal; not routine patrol or walking into a shop just to get coffee, and not in regular uniform.

Speed-strips can just be pocketed.
    Speed-loaders can be pocketed or I've got belt pouches for them as an alternate.
    I never pocket cary moon-clips but have belt-clips or pouches for them as I don't want to bend them.

Not me, but older LEO revolver carriers would have had a 6-shot revolver with two reloads, probably 2 speed-loaders or 2 speed-strips on their duty belts. While I'd trained and qualified with revolvers previously, I mainly started with a G22gen2 (.40 Glock) and had a G27gen2.5 and .38 SP101 (5-shot Ruger) as off-duty or backup guns. I believe it was good practice to be familiar/competent with both handgun platforms should I ever needed to borrow or use a partner's handgun. Knowing partners' long guns too besides one's own was good practice, too. This knowledge was good to have with any firearm too on any given day, an LEO might have need to seize or recover any type/make/model of firearm on a routine basis.
    Last edited by L-2; 02-03-2024 at 12:24 PM.

Currently my only revolver is a .38 LCR and my go-to loadout if I’m leaving the house with it is one speed strip and a fixed blade. If I’m just wearing it around the house, there’s no spare ammo but there is a quickly available 1911 and/or 870 I’m most likely going to be able to get to if five isn’t enough.

I could add another five rounds carrying it out and about, but typically that would be in clothing and situations where I could just carry the 1911 and one or two spare mags instead. With the revolver, I definitely view the speed strip as only a top off option, not something I’m going to do in a hurry. Hopefully.

I expect this to change if I ever get a mid size revolver. That may have a speed loader on the Enigma with it plus a speed strip in the pocket. That gun would be for situations where I could carry a full size auto but choose not to for whatever reason.

Full cylinder + 2 speedloaders in my back pocket. So, 18 if it's one of the 856s, 15 if it's one of the 5 shot snubs. (Speed strips if it's the LCR)

On the occasions where I *can* carry, and it’s wheelie time—which is typical, since I like them—it’s the gun, various other EDC kit, and 2 pocketed speedloaders. I figure that any reload is optimistic, so 2 is more than enough. This means that total round count is 15 for Js and 18 for Ks.

The exception is if I’m going to a Thrs night fun shoot, in which case, the right side pocket of my parka/jacket is stuffed with speedloaders, like nuts in a squirrel’s mouth; usually 8 and the gun AIWB, so more than a box of ammo.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

User Tag List