Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Source for Thigh Strap Webbing

Quote Originally Posted by stomridertx View Post
    I have a need to make my own thigh strap for a holster. I'm usually really good at finding sources for stuff like this, but for the life of me I cannot find the supplier for the 1.5" wide elastic webbing with the rubber sewn in that is common for different thigh strap configurations on the market. I've checked Rocky Woods, Amazon, eBay, and all the Google-fu I can muster. There are some less durable looking options, but I can't find the material that Safariland, T.Rex, Blackhawk, Wilder, etc. are using. It has to be out there somewhere, unless they are weaving the rubber thread in-house on normal mil-spec elastic strap. I ordered some mil spec 1.5" normal elastic strap without the rubber gripping thread, and I imagine it will work fine with the stiff belt hanger mid ride solution we all use these days. It's just bugging me that this seems to be unobtanium to a DIY application. If it's some sort of trade secret, DM me as I have no interest in entering the tactical nylon business and just want to do this for myself.
    Is this what you want?

https://invaderconcepts.com/products/leg-strap
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    I haven't seen this before but it looks very interesting. I assume that the rubber sewn in is thin enough that it works fine in all the various plastic hardware? Is the advantage that it doesn't slip as easily in the hardware or that it stays positioned better on your thigh?
    That's the idea. All of the well-known holster makers that provide leg straps use this type of webbing with the rubber sewn in as an anti-slip measure. It looks to me like they use duraflex (USA-made) plastic buckles and triglide hardware and it works. My Blackhawk T-Series rig came with Blackhawk branded hardware with a black elastic strap with rubber sewn in.
    Last edited by stomridertx; 02-03-2024 at 11:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LtDave View Post
    Yes, but I'm looking for just the strap that I can buy by the yard. None of the holster makers can fathom that a dude like me exists with thighs that measure like a smaller man's waist size. The one you linked is just elastic without the rubber gripper thread, and maybe that is enough as I did order some of that.
    To be more clear, I can make the straps that come with the holsters work. But, the tail end of the webbing is barely sticking out of the buckle adjustment and it's easy for it to work loose and the strap to fail in the middle of a shooting day. I have to take time out to thread the webbing back through and it's annoying AF.

Murdock Webbing seems to have a lot of what you might be looking for:

Quote Originally Posted by javemtr View Post
    Murdock Webbing seems to have a lot of what you might be looking for:
    Thank you. That would be excellent to do the Blade-Tech way of stitching a small section of elastic to this rubberized webbing. T-Rex arms replied to me and said their leg strap webbing is made for them and isn't available as a stand alone product, so I think it's either California Webbing Mills or Murdock where this stuff is coming from. I'm willing to bet they don't fulfill orders for only a few yards. Looking at the way leg straps work with mid-ride stiff holster hangers like we do now, I'm starting to think the rubber isn't needed and is a carryover from the 2 strap drop leg rigs where the whole weight of the gun was supported on the thigh instead of the belt.

Quote Originally Posted by stomridertx View Post
    Thank you. That would be excellent to do the Blade-Tech way of stitching a small section of elastic to this rubberized webbing. T-Rex arms replied to me and said their leg strap webbing is made for them and isn't available as a stand alone product, so I think it's either California Webbing Mills or Murdock where this stuff is coming from. I'm willing to bet they don't fulfill orders for only a few yards. Looking at the way leg straps work with mid-ride stiff holster hangers like we do now, I'm starting to think the rubber isn't needed and is a carryover from the 2 strap drop leg rigs where the whole weight of the gun was supported on the thigh instead of the belt.
    I have not found the elastic to be necessary at all for the more modern, higher ride height.

I will say that I am quite surprised at how the non-slip elastic has disappeared. I know I've seen Rocky Woods with MultiCam elastic with clear silicone bands before, as it was something I was looking into at one point.

No need to chase down the specialized webbing after all. Regular mil spec 1.5" elastic webbing works great. I used a Duraflex dual adjustable buckle and 2 tri-glides, so no sewing machine required. Hopefully it's durable, but it's definitely comfortable and I have where it maybe needs to stretch only a couple of inches to buckle. This gives enough resistance to keep the holster pinned during the draw, but is loose enough where I don't really notice the strap's pressure around my thigh.

User Tag List