Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: N frame fans, what are your favorite grips, your "fighting grips" as DB calls 'em

N frame fans, what are your favorite grips, your "fighting grips" as DB calls 'em

Nelson Ford tells me my 27-2 and 520 are complete and shipping home on Monday. With such slick triggers and well timed actions they deserve the best grips for shooting (not BBQ) that I can find. Wondering what our many N frame fans find the best shooting grips to be. These two are going to be fed magnum loads, not .38's.
    Support the Second Amendment Foundation and the Firearms Policy Coalition, join and give!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    Nelson Ford tells me my 27-2 and 520 are complete and shipping home on Monday. With such slick triggers and well timed actions they deserve the best grips for shooting (not BBQ) that I can find. Wondering what our many N frame fans find the best shooting grips to be. These two are going to be fed magnum loads, not .38's.
    They're ugly as sin, but I like the Jerry Miculek grips that come with the 625JM. A close second would be the VZ Grips Tactical Diamond grips. Mine were RB. I used those on a 629 4" and they really lock your hand in place.

Chris

I use the Hogue Tamer grips, but I'm usually shooting big bores.

Site Supporter
    I've got a walnut Hogue Monogrip with one finger bump on my 27-3 and a set of Ahrends on my 28-2, both of which have 4" barrels. They both work well with magnum loads.

Some folks dislike the Hogues because the finger grooves don't fit their hands, but they work pretty well for me. I'm 6'1" with average size hands for my height. The rubber Hogues are my go-to grip when I get a revolver and need grips now. If you go with wood, you can order them with one or no finger bumps. The one on my 27 was a "second" due to a tiny imperfection.

If you're going to carry them concealed, I'd go with the VZ grips. I don't have any, but photos I've seen show that they don't extend much beneath the grip frame and they seem relatively thin.
    "Everything in life is really simple, provided you don’t know a f—–g thing about it." - Kevin D. Williamson

N frames that I am going to use a lot get Pachmayr grips.

I like the rubber Hogue grips that come on the S&W 500. Your guns are probably square butt, so I don't know if they will fit.

With my square butt 25-2, I find the Pachmayr grips to give me the best control over the gun. It's also what I put on my 1980 blued Python, which is what made me get it for the N Frame. I'm happy with it. The 6.5" M25-2 in .45 ACP already makes for a very low recoiling gun, and the Pachmayr grips make it feel like shooting a GP100 loaded with light .38 Special using Hogue Tamers.

My 25-2 has the wide target trigger, which made it difficult to use in double action with the original target grips. The Pachmayr grips alleviated that significantly.

Some oversized wood I can rasp until they fit the way I want. Or the old standby of Pachmayr plowhandles.

Site Supporter
    Pachmayr apparently only offers the Decelerator grips for N frames now. The small Presentation grips were (barely) okay for DA shooting, with the large versions having too much trigger reach unless shot SA. The Decelerators look to have about the same thickness behind the backstrap as the large Presentations, which would rule them out for me.

If someone has the Decelerators and can tell me I'm mistaken, please do.
    "Everything in life is really simple, provided you don’t know a f—–g thing about it." - Kevin D. Williamson

Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    For 357-level recoil, I like Magnas and a T-Grip. For anything more, I prefer Pachmayr Presentations. Worst for me were Ahrends. Gorgeous grips but they seemed to accentuate recoil. X-grips are great for recoil but you have to live with yourself for doing that to a classic revolver.

One of these days, I'm going to spring for a set of Jordan Troopers. I had a pair of the Pachmayr plastic copy and they're a game changer.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

User Tag List