Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: I just had a ludicris idea

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    So you're also out on any investment potential?
    Get Liz on board and I'm all in.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Site Supporter
    So you're also out on any investment potential?
    I like R&D, but hate marketing gimmicks, so....yeah, I'll keep holding positions in Ammo Inc and Olin

And you know this, how? The company that came up with Metal Storm did something pretty similar. But they went even farther (several rounds stacked together caselessly, in one barrel.)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post

Physics is physics, and materials are what they are. As I mentioned above, you cannot put two bullets, two charges, AND a complicated yet failsafe ignition mechanism into the space of a .357 magnum chamber without blowing the gun up.

Quote Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
    And you know this, how? The company that came up with Metal Storm did something pretty similar. But they went even farther (several rounds stacked together caselessly, in one barrel.)
    Do you know what setback is? In a standard semi-automatic pistol, sometimes the round gets pushed back into the propellent when the bullet is chambered. Do that enough, and it's possible to compress the propellent. When that happens, a kaboom is likely. There's a reason many of the members here don't reuse chambered rounds after a certain point, and will take steps to separate & mark them. Setback isn't as much of an issue for revolvers, but pay attention to the problem- compressed propellent make big pressure spike, and pressure spike make gun go kaboom.

Likewise, putting in a normal charge of gunpowder that is too hot can make gun go kaboom. Because a normal .357 can only handle so much pressure- about 35,000 PSI according to SAAMI.

Can you understand that for your idea to work, you MUST have higher pressures in the chamber- pressures that the normal run of non-modified .357 magnum revolvers can't handle?

As for the Metal Storm thing, the barrel is specifically designed to handle the high pressures. It's far from the concept you are trying to push which involves a standard .357 mag chamber. They have a special electronic ignition system that does not a firing pin hitting a primer on two separate occasions.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Maybe magnets are the answer! And C4 it has to be involved somehow or Im out.

I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    Maybe magnets are the answer! And C4 it has to be involved somehow or Im out.

Can we compromise on RDX as propellent?

This proposal idea pipe dream mess reminds me of the US Army's Project SALVO and the M198 'duplex' cartridge except that the M198 was an actual functional round.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

I have enough trouble just getting my 625-8 loads set up so the revolver doesn't pull bullets and lock the cylinder up. Doesn't like loads with range brass, which is all I load. I'm pretty close to selling it.

If I can't load for something in my safe, I don't want it. This new double charged revolver cartridge, even if it existed, wouldn't be something I would want.

I was just joking around about investment opportunities. I don't want to get sanctioned.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

I have enough trouble just getting my 625-8 loads set up so the revolver doesn't pull bullets and lock the cylinder up. Doesn't like loads with range brass, which is all I load. I'm pretty close to selling it.

If I can't load for something in my safe, I don't want it. This new double charged revolver cartridge, even if it existed, wouldn't be something I would want.

I was just joking around about investment opportunities. I don't want to get sanctioned.
    Speaking for myself, I found your posts nothing but humorous.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    Can we compromise on RDX as propellent?
    I will allow it!
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

User Tag List