Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: I just had a ludicris idea

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    John Walch did it in 1859. Louis l’Amour used it in a story. .
    Thank you , I had not realized it was a 6 shot cylinder with 2 stacked loads per chamber. I remember L’Amour writing about it.

It's an electric primer, so it could be embedded in the propellant. It would likely be blown out when the first charge fires.

Quote Originally Posted by CleverNickname View Post
    What holds the primer for the first bullet, and where does the primer go after the first bullet is fired? Does it just travel down the barrel ahead of the second bullet when the second bullet is fired?

Quote Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
    Somehow an electric circuit would have to be run from the generator to the front primer.
    This reminds me of a Far Side cartoon with two scientists, on the board in front of them was a scientific equation with "and then a miracle occurs" as one step.

Your "somehow" could be replaced with, "and then a miracle of ignition occurs."

You also have lack of space problem. You can't fit two .357 bullets, two charges, and two miracle igniters in a .357 case, unless you develop miracle size igniters and new miracle propellant.

Then you have a brass/bullet problem with your buried bullet. The bullet can't be loose enough inside the case to drop down into the case, which means you'll bulge cases loaded them, or blow the thing up firing them. Unless, of course, you have a second miracle up your sleeve.

Finally, it sounds as though you're adding an electrical system to your revolver, which needs some space inside an already crowded revolver frame.

The best answer to all of these problems is a P365 with a 12 round mag.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Site Supporter
    It’s an interesting thought experiment that has no real world applications. Even if you could make it work nobody would buy a 12 shot electronic revolver that requires speciality ammunition that costs at least twice as much to shoot as normal .357 ammo.

Remington discontinued their electronic primer hunting rifles a long time ago because nobody wanted them, and the last place I would want to look for early adopters of electronic guns is people who still want to carry revolvers.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

When you fire the first round, what keeps the second round from being crushed/deformed and/or detonating on it's own because of the "kinetic crushing"?

You do realize that the front round wouldn't have the web of the case for support? Brass is thin up there and I see no way to protect the second round from the inevitable damage of the first round being fired.

Quote Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
    Take a .357 magnum case and set it up so that it can fire two bullets, not simultaneously, but one with each strike of the primer. So if someone has a 6-shot .357 Magnum revolver, it can now fire 12 shots without reloading.

How the hell would this work? the cartridge would be loaded in layers, from front to back, there would be the first bullet, propellant, an electric primer, then another bullet, another layer of propellant, and in the primer pocket a two stage device. The side of the device facing the propellant would be another electric primer, on the back of the device would be a piezoelectric generator. Somehow an electric circuit would have to be run from the generator to the front primer. And the generator would have a switch in it that would send the current from the first strike to the front primer, and the second strike tothe back primer. The current output from striking the piezo generator would have to be sufficient to ignite the electric primers.

Could this be made to work? Who knows. How good could the ballistics of each shot be, given that case capacity constraints would limit the amount of propellant per shot. How expensive would the be? Probably a few bucks a round.

Of course, the correct response to this should be "Just buy a 12 shot (or higher) 9mm auto. And that would not really b wrong. But I bet there are a lot of people who on 357 revolvers, especially small ones, that might be willing to trade power for capacity, especially if they can do it without changing guns.

Now I know this is kind of nuts, and may be impractical. But if it could be made to work, it would be .357 magnum carriers some interesting options.
    Soooo.....

You've invented the shotgun shell?

Visionary, I tell you! Absolutely visionary!
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

This pales in comparison to the Roy Rogers 56 shooters that I saw in movies as a kid.
    Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem
    I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude
    -Thomas Jefferson
    I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

You might want to check the percentage of the CBD gummies that you're chewing. Just saying.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Yes. It is ludicrous.

Typical P/F responses... Outright dismissing an idea via armchair hypothetical science without even considering the possibility of charms, enchantments, sorcery, wizardry, voodoo, or even the supernatural. [emoji849]

User Tag List