Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IWB Sweat Guards

IWB Sweat Guards

I just recently purchased a IWB holster for my HK P30 and found that the sweat guard interferes with my grip on the gun. The rear edge rubs tightly against my thumb when I grip the gun and prevents me from getting a good grip. It is so tight that I feel with repeated drawings from the holster during practice or at a class it would rub the skin off.

I've contacted the manufacturer and they have authorized a return and asked me to send them a photo. I've haven't had this issue with my holsters for my BHP and HK USP45c, but they are both by another holster maker.

Has anyone had similar issues with holsters they have had?
    --
    Formerly hombre gris
    I am no longer LEO, never .MIL. I am .DAD and my attitude will reflect that.
    Cogito ergo armatus sum -- I think, therefore I am armed

Yep. I had this problem with a blade tech tuckable holster. I solved the problem in about 15 minutes with a Dremel tool by cutting down the portion of the holster that rubbed on my thumb so it is about equal with the slide and frame. Kydex is pretty easy to work with. This mod made a world of difference.

This was discussed on the FT&T forum under the thread Correcting a bad grip during draw . Xacto Knives and Dremil tools ruled the day in that thread.
    Scott
    Only Hits Count - The Faster the Hit the more it Counts!!!!!!; DELIVER THE SHOT!
    Stephen Hillier - "An amateur practices until he can do it right, a professional practices until he can't do it wrong."

We are diminished
    Far too many holster companies produce products with no clue as to what is actually necessary for a fast presentation. If a shirt/sweat guard interferes in any way with getting a proper and complete strong hand grip on the pistol in the holster, it needs to be fixed (or nixed).

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    Far too many holster companies produce products with no clue as to what is actually necessary for a fast presentation.
    This ... and not just talking about fast presentation either. From the look of many of the designs I've seen the mfg thinks of a holster as a way to secure the pistol when you aren't shooting and nothing more.

I have mod'd a holster with a dremel and sandpaper myself. It wasn't the sweat guard though but to allow access to the mag release button. It was covered. I wanted it open. Problem solved in 5 minutes.

If you like the holster otherwise and plan on keeping it ... don't be afraid to get your hands dirty with it. Just make sure you don't do anything that compromises safety or retention.

Quote Originally Posted by rsa-otc View Post
    This was discussed on the FT&T forum under the thread Correcting a bad grip during draw . Xacto Knives and Dremil tools ruled the day in that thread.
    Thanks for the information on the FT&T forum. After looking at that thread I'll be reevaluating what I'm looking for in a holster.
    --
    Formerly hombre gris

Quote Originally Posted by VolGrad View Post

If you like the holster otherwise and plan on keeping it ... don't be afraid to get your hands dirty with it. Just make sure you don't do anything that compromises safety or retention.
    "Fixing" the issue I have with this holster, which is leather, would involve getting into the stitching which isn't something I want to do. It is on it's way back now.
    Name:  sweat_guard.jpg
Views: 360
Size:  29.6 KB
    --
    Formerly hombre gris

I usually try to keep the sweat shield approx even with the bottom of the slide for this reason. Many companies make the shields way too big in my opinion. If you can't get a grip or access the mag release, there is an issue.

The sweat shield on that rig is about 2X the size of what it really needs to be. I find that when they get oversize, I get poked more by the sweat shield than I would from the gun if it (the shield) was properly sized.

I knew exactly which holster you were talking about before you even posted the picture.
    The sweat shield on those is also entirely too thick.
    That's why I buy the "Hideaway" (no sweat shield) instead of their other offerings.

Sweatshields are one of those things that it's either right or its not because your grip is where it starts. If it's a kydex holster and money is not a worry then by all means experiment on it. Leather holsters are a different story when it comes to mods for most of us. Good luck with your holster search

User Tag List