Thread: Looking for an OWB

Looking for an OWB

A friend of mine owns a security company and is looking for an OWB that he can use while on the job. I've never open carried and have zero experience in this area, so I thought that I would consult the hive mind here. Here's what he needs:

- OWB
    - Glock 17, no dot or lights
    - Level 1 retention
    - Kydex

He was looking at Tier 1 Concealed (https://www.tier1concealed.com) holsters. Does anyone have experience with those? Any other recommendations? Thanks in advance.

Site Supporter
    A Safariland ALS.

Level 1? A JMCK OWB2.

Leave 1 as defined by Safariland? ALS.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

How's he going to be carrying this thing, on a duty belt, or on a pants belt?

As an aside, if he is going to be open carrying, I think pretty much everyone here who's ever openly carried a pistol professionally is going to strongly recommend a holster with active retention. Personally, if given the choice, I'd be carrying an ALS+SLS Level III holster. Don't get me started on the trash Level II Uncle Mike's rig I'm stuck with due to contractual requirements...

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    How's he going to be carrying this thing, on a duty belt, or on a pants belt?
    He said pants belt.

As an aside, if he is going to be open carrying, I think pretty much everyone here who's ever openly carried a pistol professionally is going to strongly recommend a holster with active retention. Personally, if given the choice, I'd be carrying an ALS+SLS Level III holster. Don't get me started on the trash Level II Uncle Mike's rig I'm stuck with due to contractual requirements...
    I can pass that along!

In that case, assuming he's not trying to conceal this thing, I'd second the recommendation for an ALS rig. The Safariland 6378 is a pretty affordable option and includes both a paddle and a belt loop (the belt loop being recommended over the paddle).

In that case, assuming he's not trying to conceal this thing, I'd second the recommendation for an ALS rig. The Safariland 6378 is a pretty affordable option and includes both a paddle and a belt loop (the belt loop being recommended over the paddle).
    Add this belt loop to the above holster.

https://www.amazon.com/Safariland-Co...s%2C658&sr=8-2
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    Add this belt loop to the above holster.

https://www.amazon.com/Safariland-Co...s%2C658&sr=8-2
    I switched over to that loop on all my ALS holsters a few years back - it’s a much better option than the triangular one that comes stock. I also add a 6006 ALS Guard:

https://www.amazon.com/Safariland-60.../dp/B005M91MWY
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

The Safariland GLS Pro Fit holster is very underrated for pants belt carry. It has a smooth draw and is very easy to release the retention with a master grip. I like it better than the ALS because it has a lower cut and works with optics without having to go to a huge light bearing duty holster. The only downside is that if you let an attacker get behind you and they get a master grip on the gun, it will come out for them the same way it does for you. The ALS mechanism is easier to protect in that scenario, so he really would need to be well practiced on keeping the gun on his person. My main concern is just keeping the gun in the holster during run n' gun training, so I really appreciate the GLS retention while still allowing a very fast draw. After flirting with the Blackhawk T-Series for a while I'm returning to the GLS. Icing on the cake is it lives up to the promise of fitting multiple guns with a simple hex key adjustment.
    Safariland has introduced a non light bearing low cut ALS holster that has room for optics, but unfortunately it's only for slim-line Glocks at this time. I hope they reconsider that because I think they'd sell a ton of those for full sized guns.
    Last edited by stomridertx; 02-06-2024 at 08:56 PM.

User Tag List