Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Glass quality conversation: Nightforce vs Leupold

Quote Originally Posted by joshs View Post
    That's really old. The Mark 5 only came out in 2018.
    check dates before posting- me.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_L View Post
    check dates before posting- me.
    Haha

Cal puts out great content. He stopped doing the what the pros use large data because you can find all that on the PRS website

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    Any glass guys care to offer insight or opinions? What would you run on a 10/22 for precision shooting 25-200yds? The NX8 2.5-20 is looking real friendly. Then again, that may be getting a little ridiculous.
    I would definitely consider the NX8 2.5-20 on a precision .22, as I have that same optic on a precision AR.

It's also worth thinking thru the main use of this 10/22 or any .22 you're putting glass on. For example on a precision .22 setup that's meant as a trainer for a centerfire precision rifle, ideally I'd mount the same glass on both. If funds aren't a problem.

If this is more of a fun .22 for shooting tiny groups (as my Kidd 10/22 was), I've been pretty happy with some of the Athlon scopes. Somebody already mentioned the Midas series. I also had a 4-20x50 from the Helos series that was very good glass for the $$.

With the amount of dialing that lies in your future, I'd focus more on repeatability than glass.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by maximus83 View Post
    It's also worth thinking thru the main use of this 10/22 or any .22 you're putting glass on. For example on a precision .22 setup that's meant as a trainer for a centerfire precision rifle, ideally I'd mount the same glass on both. If funds aren't a problem.

If this is more of a fun .22 for shooting tiny groups (as my Kidd 10/22 was), I've been pretty happy with some of the Athlon scopes. Somebody already mentioned the Midas series. I also had a 4-20x50 from the Helos series that was very good glass for the $$.
    This is really the crux of the issue. In the past I had a Leupold 6.5-20 EFR target dot model on this rifle. Considered by many to be one of the best Rimfire target scopes. I didn’t like it, but probably in part because I tried to take the damn thing squirrel hunting. I think I wanted this to be kind of an all purpose rifle. The reality is I have a CZ452 and Marlin 60 that usually get the nod for walking around squirrel hunting. I’ve also really just started messing around with this thing chasing precision beyond 25yds. I probably need to keep messing with it, shoot a local match or two and then decide if it’s a long term pursuit worth the investment or if keeping it more as an all around rifle is more my speed.

I guess I was just a little surprised at the glass disparity.

As to being a trainer, long range bolt guns was the first gun thing I got into 23 years ago and I doubt I’ll go back to it given where I live.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    With the amount of dialing that lies in your future, I'd focus more on repeatability than glass.

Okie John
    This Leupold does seem to be that if nothing else.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    Recently I had an experience that surprised me a lot. I was shooting my 10/22 heavy barreled target model with some work done to it at 100yds. That rifle is scoped with a Leupold Vari-X III “Tactical” 4.5-14x40 AO with target turrets and a fine duplex reticle.

On my AR I have a Nightforce NX8 FC-Mil Capped 1-8 (the LEO model).

I could see .22 holes in the 100yd paper targets more clearly with the NX8 on 8X and only a 24mm obj than I could the Leupold on 14X with a 40mm objective. I did have the AO set correctly to correct parallax at 100yds.

I’ve heard folks complain about NX8 glass quality, but always heard the Leupold well regarded; even the older Vari-X III’s.

Any glass guys care to offer insight or opinions? What would you run on a 10/22 for precision shooting 25-200yds? The NX8 2.5-20 is looking real friendly. Then again, that may be getting a little ridiculous.

Current State:

Some 50yd groups to show what the rifle's capable of:

Part of what makes modern scopes so amazing is the technological advancement in coatings. Many new Asian rim scopes that are lesser in quality have very impressive glass due to new coatings compared to a decade or three ago from Leopold.

For .22 precision rifles I tend to recommend sightron for nra prone rifles and athlon cronus or athlon ares etr for nrl22/rimfire prs / 22 elr. There are a lot of other good options but the ones mentioned are a good intersection of value /features / performance / cost. I do not consider either of these options as "lesser quality scopes" mentioned in the last paragraph, I was talking more about sub $400 price point scopes
    Last edited by Skinner Precision, LLC; 01-31-2024 at 07:48 PM.
    Skinner Precision LLC official Account
    07 Manufacturer specializing in Competition Rifles

User Tag List