Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glass quality conversation: Nightforce vs Leupold

Glass quality conversation: Nightforce vs Leupold

Recently I had an experience that surprised me a lot. I was shooting my 10/22 heavy barreled target model with some work done to it at 100yds. That rifle is scoped with a Leupold Vari-X III “Tactical” 4.5-14x40 AO with target turrets and a fine duplex reticle.

On my AR I have a Nightforce NX8 FC-Mil Capped 1-8 (the LEO model).

I could see .22 holes in the 100yd paper targets more clearly with the NX8 on 8X and only a 24mm obj than I could the Leupold on 14X with a 40mm objective. I did have the AO set correctly to correct parallax at 100yds.

I’ve heard folks complain about NX8 glass quality, but always heard the Leupold well regarded; even the older Vari-X III’s.

Any glass guys care to offer insight or opinions? What would you run on a 10/22 for precision shooting 25-200yds? The NX8 2.5-20 is looking real friendly. Then again, that may be getting a little ridiculous.

Current State:

Some 50yd groups to show what the rifle's capable of:

Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Lens designs and coatings have advanced quite a bit since the 1980s Vari-X III. The Nightforce is a much newer scope and benefits from those advancements. In addition, Leupold is not a leader in lens performance. Leupold is durable with repeatable adjustments, decent lens performance, and great support.

The Leupold would also perform better at 8X than at 14X due to the larger exit pupil (5mm versus less than 3mm) at the lower power. That would brighten the image.

There are only supposed to be a handful of companies globally grinding glass for all the scope manufacturers. Most are in Asia.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    I have the 2.5-20 NX8, it's a great optic, but I prefer more magnification for precision .22. I'm using an Athlon Midas Tac 5-25 on my rimfire competition rifle.

Glass quality conversation: Nightforce vs Leupold

For background:

I own 3 NF ATACR’s 7x35 , 2 NX8 4x32, TT 5x25

The glass is the same on the NX8 as the ATACR, but the ATACR was built to a size to maximize the glass. The NX8 has a less forgiving eye box.

There are only a few places making glass, but it’s like anything else, it’s the spec.

Having to do it again, I would buy 4-16 ATACR for my hunting rifles vs the NX8.

BUT that opinion comes from looking through glass ALOT. If going from a Leupold or Vortex the NX8 is a step up.

For the best, buy a TT…..but it’s gonna hurt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by TCFD273; 01-30-2024 at 05:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    Lens designs and coatings have advanced quite a bit since the 1980s Vari-X III. The Nightforce is a much newer scope and benefits from those advancements. In addition, Leupold is not a leader in lens performance. Leupold is durable with repeatable adjustments, decent lens performance, and great support.

The Leupold would also perform better at 8X than at 14X due to the larger exit pupil (5mm versus less than 3mm) at the lower power. That would brighten the image.
    I’ve seen many Leupolds fail tall target tests. A lot of guys run the Mark5 and seem to like them though.

I scratch my head when I hear guys brag about the 2k optic price on their 6k rifle

Leupold offers tons of backing to PRS and they’ve made a large footprint. I wouldn’t be surprised if the Mark 5HD was the most common scope.

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    Recently I had an experience that surprised me a lot. I was shooting my 10/22 heavy barreled target model with some work done to it at 100yds. That rifle is scoped with a Leupold Vari-X III “Tactical” 4.5-14x40 AO with target turrets and a fine duplex reticle.

On my AR I have a Nightforce NX8 FC-Mil Capped 1-8 (the LEO model).

I could see .22 holes in the 100yd paper targets more clearly with the NX8 on 8X and only a 24mm obj than I could the Leupold on 14X with a 40mm objective. I did have the AO set correctly to correct parallax at 100yds.

I’ve heard folks complain about NX8 glass quality, but always heard the Leupold well regarded; even the older Vari-X III’s.

Any glass guys care to offer insight or opinions? What would you run on a 10/22 for precision shooting 25-200yds? The NX8 2.5-20 is looking real friendly. Then again, that may be getting a little ridiculous.

Current State:

Some 50yd groups to show what the rifle's capable of:

To your question, I have run this on my 22. Tracks very good, and durable so far. I use my 22 as a trainer

https://www.eurooptic.com/Athlon-Cro...pe-210114.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by TCFD273 View Post
    I’ve seen many Leupolds fail tall target tests. A lot of guys run the Mark5 and seem to like them though.

I scratch my head when I hear guys brag about the 2k optic price on their 6k rifle

Leupold offers tons of backing to PRS and they’ve made a large footprint. I wouldn’t be surprised if the Mark 5HD was the most common scope.

Fortunately this is easy to check. Not even close. Nighrforce.

https://precisionrifleblog.com/2018/12/21/best-scope/

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric_L View Post
    Fortunately this is easy to check. Not even close. Nighrforce.

https://precisionrifleblog.com/2018/12/21/best-scope/
    That's really old. The Mark 5 only came out in 2018.

Quote Originally Posted by joshs View Post
    That's really old. The Mark 5 only came out in 2018.
    Yep. Mark 5 is the biggest in PRS, price point is a big one.

ZCO isn’t on there nor is Tangent. Both of those are more popular than NF in my region.

If Tangent would release their 7x35, they’d replace NF in ELR

I think it’s because with the rifle you have the deposit, wait 6-8 months and then pay the balance. The higher end optics hit you at once.

User Tag List