Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Holosun PID-K Plus

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I am not sophisticated when it comes to candela, so I would appreciate some explanation.
    Think of candela of how tightly a beam is focused. The tighter the focus for an equal lumen output, the higher the candela and the brighter the center of the beam is. But the tighter, brighter, higher candela beam comes at the cost of spill, both in width and how bright the spill is. A high candela beam looks like a spot light vs. more of a flood pattern for a lower candela beam of equal lumen output.

I hope this helps.
    EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights | EDC Light Builder P-F Sub-forum

Is there a product out there that I am missing, or a reason that a small light with the specs of the new Holosun doesn't make sense on a slim line pistol?
    I think if you MUST carry a slim line pistol and it MUST have a light on it and don't mind supporting China, this is likely the best option. I don't think the technology exists yet to get a light that size with the performance that makes it worth the effort (purchase price of light + holster and larger holster footprint) for me to carry. I would be interested in something smaller than an X300 and would give up some performance to get it, but currently the only options seem to be giant light with mega performance or tiny light with tiny performance. I'd love to see something in the middle.

That being said, I don't see any reason to carry a slim line gun and don't feel that a light on a concealed carry gun is anywhere near necessary though. Obviously, there are a ton of people that disagree with me on both of those opinions but those arguments probably belong in a different thread.

Quote Originally Posted by dontshakepandas View Post
    That being said, I don't see any reason to carry a slim line gun and don't feel that a light on a concealed carry gun is anywhere near necessary though. Obviously, there are a ton of people that disagree with me on both of those opinions but those arguments probably belong in a different thread.
    Current discussion on that topic here.
    EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights | EDC Light Builder P-F Sub-forum

I have run a TLR8/G(green laser) for almost two years now with good results for me. I usually run it in dual mode-light and laser. The laser adds another option if you will. I get the need for high lumens, and operators I have a lot of respect for run the big Streamlights and 300s. In my mostly admin.world the smaller light is adequate. Note I wrote "adequate".
    I am, therefore, interested in the Holosun. I'd have to work with the switching and I have a minor concern with rechargeables-cold can affect them negatively. But I carry a handheld 2L-X with a rechargeable, so that's not a dealbreaker.
    Givens has stated he doesn't see the weapon light as critical in a "civilian" context. There's adequate light in lots, etc. I think it's nice to have options. JMO, YMMV, etc....

I think if you MUST carry a slim line pistol and it MUST have a light on it and don't mind supporting China, this is likely the best option. I don't think the technology exists yet to get a light that size with the performance that makes it worth the effort (purchase price of light + holster and larger holster footprint) for me to carry. I would be interested in something smaller than an X300 and would give up some performance to get it, but currently the only options seem to be giant light with mega performance or tiny light with tiny performance. I'd love to see something in the middle.
    An X300U only has 11.3k candela. I don't see how you can claim that 10k candela is somehow "weak". Sure, it's nowhere near the 66k candela of an X300T, and who knows what realworld performance is on the Holosuns, especially after thermal regulation, but 10k candela as a standalone number is reasonably more than sufficient for use as a pistol WML.

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    An X300U only has 11.3k candela. I don't see how you can claim that 10k candela is somehow "weak". Sure, it's nowhere near the 66k candela of an X300T, and who knows what realworld performance is on the Holosuns, especially after thermal regulation, but 10k candela as a standalone number is reasonably more than sufficient for use as a pistol WML.
    I think the X300U is weak also, and since the X300T has been available I now have 3 of them and 0 X300Us. The X300U looks good in a dark house or lighting up a completely dark field, but doesn't have enough candela to push through photonic barriers, or to completely shut down a person's vision the way an X300T. I think it is more likely I'll need a light to do these things than to light everything up so I can be John Wick in the dark. As a civilian, I think it would be 99% more likely I'd be using the handheld though.

Edit: I'm not necessarily saying this is a bad light if size is a primary concern for you and you are OK with supporting China (I prefer not to). I don't have any issue carrying an X300T comfortably with a Floodlight 2.0, so this light would be a considerable downgrade for almost no gain. I know that not everyone can conceal an X300T comfortably, but I don't think they necessarily need to go all the way down to something this small. I think a lot of people would be able to conceal something the length of a G17 and it would allow for a more powerful light, but that seems to be a gap in the current market since companies are only making tiny lights or huge lights.
    Last edited by dontshakepandas; 01-30-2024 at 03:02 PM.

I am not sophisticated when it comes to candela, so I would appreciate some explanation.

When I have used a light in a concealment holster, lately it has been the TLR-7, and that has been a reasonable compromise between size, switching, fitting into an AIWB holster without making a gap at the top of the holster, and providing some light. Based on my experience, I can shoot FAR better with a WML than with a light in my hands.

This K model Holosun has twice the lumens and candela as the TLR-7, is smaller, and has the option of green laser. In the dark, a laser seems like the easy switch. The Surefire XSC is larger, has just 350 lumens and 2,000 candela. Is there a product out there that I am missing, or a reason that a small light with the specs of the new Holosun doesn't make sense on a slim line pistol?
    I'll simplify it a bit:

High Lumens + Low Candela = Headlights on normal setting

High Lumens + Medium Candela (10-50k) = Headlights on a bright setting

High Lumens + High Candela (50k+) = Spotlight mounted on the windshield post

Think about what your use cases and work from there.

Site Supporter
    I think a lot of people would be able to conceal something the length of a G17 and it would allow for a more powerful light, but that seems to be a gap in the current market since companies are only making tiny lights or huge lights.
    I think the compact Modlite might be the first high candela compact option. The Surefire XR1 looks smaller than this Holosun with 15k candela.

I just looked up the TLR-7A sub and it is 5,000 candela.
    Streamlight has a new head with 10k candela that will fit the tlr7 series of lights. It will be sold separately too. It's longer than the current head so it might not fit your holster

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirolynmonbro View Post
    Streamlight has a new head with 10k candela that will fit the tlr7 series of lights. It will be sold separately too. It's longer than the current head so it might not fit your holster
    link?

User Tag List