Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Lightweight 3" 38 Special?

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    I believe one of the Scandium J-frames was produced with a 3" barrel.
    Something else I wish I had:
    Name:  360-3.JPG
Views: 581
Size:  34.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by onehalfmvsquared View Post
    I've thought about a S&W model 12, but their reputation is somewhat spotty from what I've read, and they demand a premium, plus they're rather large for what I'm thinking of.
    FWIW, I have multiple 12's (steel cylindered not the early aluminum cylindered pre-12's). A couple of them have a lot of rounds fired and a fair amount of dry fire too. They've held up for the most part. Always shot with standard pressure and mostly wadcutters. +P is supposed to eat them fast. The one with the highest reps is currently deadlined since I pancaked the frame lug (the little stud on the frame the cylinder rests against when open) chasing FAST numbers. I really should get around to fixing it. I could also see that happening in a steel model though. The 12's are either 2" or 4" unless you find the handful of 3" variants rumored to have been made in small numbers for a foreign police contract.
    no one sees what's written on the spine of his own autobiography.

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    Something else I wish I had:
    Name:  360-3.JPG
Views: 581
Size:  34.5 KB

That would look great as a K frame
    On the ragged edge of the world I'll roam,
    And the home of the wolf shall be my home - Robert Service

Site Supporter
    After swapping a 2" ejector rod onto my 3" UL 856, I was stupidly happy. They may have gotten to the point where that's not a thing anymore, but it is an acknowledged issue with 3" 856's.

I want to see something in between these 2. Like a 3" k frame mountain gun.
    Name:  20240201_102302.jpg
Views: 444
Size:  59.1 KB

I think sometime ago, the S&W Airweights were offered with 3” barrels. I thought I saw one on GB this morning

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    I think sometime ago, the S&W Airweights were offered with 3” barrels. I thought I saw one on GB this morning
    Yeah, the 3" Model 37 J-Frames are definately out there and not super uncommen.
    no one sees what's written on the spine of his own autobiography.

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Ive seen pictures of well done cut down skinny barrel 10's or actually whatever they called them in the 30s. One was in Ed McGiverns book, Ive seen others online.

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    There were some. Linebaugh had a 2" 37, he asked if I knew where to get a light profile 3" barrel, I found him a parts set with one and sent it to him. I dont know if he made the barrel swap or not before he passed. He said he asked someone he knew at the factory if theyd do it if he sent them the gun and parts, they said no, so he was going to do it himself.

As a do-it yourself job, Ive heard (may have been what John said the factory guy told him) there would likely be some issue with the barrel indexing correctly, as the aluminum frames didnt like having barrels removed and reinstalled, but he was able to deal with setting back the shoulder so it would index OK.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    You mean like a Night Guard?

Or a steel frame with 3” tapered barrel.

The former is what I hoped the big SHOT show reveal would be.

Quote Originally Posted by jtcarm View Post
    You mean like a Night Guard?

Or a steel frame with 3” tapered barrel.

The former is what I hoped the big SHOT show reveal would be.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    Ive seen pictures of well done cut down skinny barrel 10's or actually whatever they called them in the 30s. One was in Ed McGiverns book, Ive seen others online.

There were some. Linebaugh had a 2" 37, he asked if I knew where to get a light profile 3" barrel, I found him a parts set with one and sent it to him. I dont know if he made the barrel swap or not before he passed. He said he asked someone he knew at the factory if theyd do it if he sent them the gun and parts, they said no, so he was going to do it himself.

As a do-it yourself job, Ive heard (may have been what John said the factory guy told him) there would likely be some issue with the barrel indexing correctly, as the aluminum frames didnt like having barrels removed and reinstalled, but he was able to deal with setting back the shoulder so it would index OK.

You know... I've been really happy with my 66-8. I really think it's the perfect ccw.

It needed its throats honed but besides that it needed no more modifications than a stock glock 19.

Besides the throats I added better sights, grips, cylinder release and massaged the action.

If they just worked on qc, @Stephanie, I think they'd be on it.

I understand why they keep their normal sights and stuff. It's no big deal to add a front sight on a modern smith.

User Tag List