Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Lightweight 3" 38 Special?

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    yes.

So what guns would have been killed by the same 10,006 rounds that did not kill the 82? (as referenced in the video)

Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    So what guns would have been killed by the same 10,006 rounds that did not kill the 82? (as referenced in the video)
    I think he (Caleb) managed to get a Python and a Manhurin to give up their ghosts around the 1-2k mark. And I think he also had an escapade with the Super GP-100.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    That wasn't the question though, you asked if a durable revolver could be made for around $300 retail, and I provided evidence that yes, one can.

But to answer your question: I absolutely wrecked a current production Manurhin MR73 in about 1300 rounds x2 that dry fire trigger presses. I shot an older production GP100 to a similar round count as the Taurus and it stopped carrying up properly. A S&W 686 Pro Series I had about 10 years ago sheared its yoke/crane screw off during a reload. The screw was properly tight and the tip that retains the cylinder just decided it didn't want to live any more.

I had a Super GP100 that absolutely refused to shoot groups with anything other than 124gr ammo, and would routinely tumble rounds. I shot a 625 out of time in even less time than the Taurus.

Shall I continue, or is this sufficient?

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    I've gotten some pretty noble groups with 9mm HSTs.
    DA at 25 yards in .357s. Probably about 4" which is about as good as I can shoot
    I have noticed that when I'm farting around with 9mm projectiles in a .357 gun, that bullet type matters a lot more than I thought it would. For instance, the 150gr Syntech round tends to shoot fairly accurately out of this gun, and I suspect that it's because it's slightly oversized for a 9mm round. But I could be wrong, I don't have calipers and haven't pulled any bullets.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Up1911Fan View Post
    Not even close to correct. A 3" LCR is definitely lightweight.
    You are correct and I wasn't. I have no interest or experience with Ruger's LCRs and didn't know they offered a 3". Not sure what penance I should perform.

Dave

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
    You are correct and I wasn't. I have no interest or experience with Ruger's LCRs and didn't know they offered a 3". Not sure what penance I should perform.

Dave
    100 rounds with your favorite snubby, evenly divided between strong hand only and other strong hand only.
    "Everything in life is really simple, provided you don’t know a f—–g thing about it." - Kevin D. Williamson

Site Supporter
    Will my S&W 315 Night Guard (2.5" barrel) qualify as a "snubby"?

Or since this thread is about 3" snubbys I might also shoot this 3" with black powder 45 Colt ammunition.

Name:  DSC00135.jpg
Views: 343
Size:  91.3 KB

Of course it is most assuredly not a "light weight" so this wouldn't penance enough. Particularly since I would be having fun doing so.

Dave

I’m the OP and I’ll allow it

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by onehalfmvsquared View Post
    I’m the OP and I’ll allow it
    Why thank you Sir. Most generous of you.

Still haven't heard anything on the 315 NG. It's the same size as the 2-1/2" M-19 but considerably lighter and it is a 38 Special.

Dave

I shot the Taurus UL 856 with some wadcutters, mid vel 125s, and some standard 158 FMJs. They all ran fine and grouped well. It seems to be a decent revolver.

I just won a 66-8. 2.75” on GB, so we’ll see how that stacks up.

I almost think 3” is still a wee bit long for a carry revolver.

User Tag List