Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Lightweight 3" 38 Special?

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Da, is nice, in my opinion is ideal carry revolver.

I admit my bias though - I want Colt to bring me effectively the same gun in a Cobra. Because I have a lot of Colt revolvers and for whatever ass backwards reason I prefer the Colt cylinder release.

And I still need one of these. When I escape the People's Republic of New York.
    You are without a doubt the only person I've ever heard say they prefer the Colt style release. However I'll say this - I never once inadvertently activated my Python's release, but I can't say that about S&W releases

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    You are without a doubt the only person I've ever heard say they prefer the Colt style release. However I'll say this - I never once inadvertently activated my Python's release, but I can't say that about S&W releases
    I have never had the colt style rip the skin off the side of my thumb either. The smith style, many times.

Hi, allow me to introduce you to the Taurus 856 Defender Ultra Lite: 3 inch, aluminum frame 38 Special +P. Holds six rounds too, so it's technically better than an LCRx in that regard

https://www.taurususa.com/revolvers/...hogue-r-rubber

aaaand that's what I have now!

Quote Originally Posted by ragnar_d View Post
    What sights did you go with? I'm not a fan of the stock sights on my 66-8 and was looking to change them out. Either a Weigand rear/Dawson FO front because I like being able to zero where I want or D&L fixed sights for something a little tougher were in the running, but I was curious what others were running.
    I installed a meprolight tritium front and a c&s fixed rear
    On the ragged edge of the world I'll roam,
    And the home of the wolf shall be my home - Robert Service

I have to confess I’ve wanted to find a skinny barreled 4” 12-3 and cut it to 3”, for quite some time now.

Site Supporter
    I will add another: my daughter.
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthNarc View Post
    I have to confess I’ve wanted to find a skinny barreled 4” 12-3 and cut it to 3”, for quite some time now.
    Hmmm. I have a 4” RB Model 12 I don’t use, and that sounds like a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by BarryinIN View Post
    Hmmm. I have a 4” RB Model 12 I don’t use, and that sounds like a good idea.
    Maybe. I've heard the aluminum frames makes barrel removal problematic. So, is that a) true or b) could the barrel rework be done without removal? Any revolver smiths available to weigh in?
    no one sees what's written on the spine of his own autobiography.

Quote Originally Posted by Half Moon View Post
    Maybe. I've heard the aluminum frames makes barrel removal problematic. So, is that a) true or b) could the barrel rework be done without removal? Any revolver smiths available to weigh in?
    Aluminum frames are more likely to crack where the barrel is screwed into the frame. Both during removal/install and just during shooting. I've seen a couple of the aluminum/scandium guns crack there, and knew one guy who decided to roll the dice with a barrel swap on a Colt Agent (or Cobra, I forget which) and came up snake eyes.

You *can* chop the barrel without removing it. I think Tiger McKee did his "Choppers" that way, as did some gunsmiths back when IDPA changed the maximum barrel length from 5" down to 4". In both cases that was a chop and recrown without any additional or complicated barrel work.

Remember that there are always more gunsmiths than there are people qualified to be gunsmiths. Choose carefully.

Quote Originally Posted by jh9 View Post

Remember that there are always more gunsmiths than there are people qualified to be gunsmiths. Choose carefully.
    I am stealing the fuck outta that line

User Tag List