Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Lightweight 3" 38 Special?

Quote Originally Posted by Half Moon View Post
    Maybe. I've heard the aluminum frames makes barrel removal problematic. So, is that a) true or b) could the barrel rework be done without removal? Any revolver smiths available to weigh in?
    There's also the confounding factor of (IIRC) all Colt and the post 1982 S&W barrels being crush fit. The older pinned barrels might flex the frame less during removal/installation and maybe you could get away with more there? I don't actually know how much that would help, if any. None of my high mileage S&Ws are from before 1982 so I'm just guessing there.

Quote Originally Posted by jh9 View Post
    There's also the confounding factor of (IIRC) all Colt and the post 1982 S&W barrels being crush fit. The older pinned barrels might flex the frame less during removal/installation and maybe you could get away with more there? I don't actually know how much that would help, if any. None of my high mileage S&Ws are from before 1982 so I'm just guessing there.

Im not sure exactly where this rumor came from. Many later ones are tighter torqued, but not anything Id call crush fit. Ive swapped several Smiths and pulled a couple Colts, none were anything more then average to noticeably tighter torqued than pinned barrel guns I messed with.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    Im not sure exactly where this rumor came from. Many later ones are tighter torqued, but not anything Id call crush fit. Ive swapped several Smiths and pulled a couple Colts, none were anything more then average to noticeably tighter torqued than pinned barrel guns I messed with.
    Really? Me and dad only pulled one. Maybe I'm misremembering but I recall that sucker was on there.

edit: Maybe "crush fit" was the wrong term - not a machinist.

Really? Me and dad only pulled one. Maybe I'm misremembering but I recall that sucker was on there.

edit: Maybe "crush fit" was the wrong term - not a machinist.

The term was actually used in the firearms press years ago, and seems to have become entrenched in the shooting legends and vocabulary. Yes, many are pretty tight, but I dont think crush fit is truly correct.

I made home made tools to remove or torque Smith barrels, they take a bit more than most older ones, but they arent distorted or damaged at all by being installed. They turn in and out just as smooth as any of them, but many later ones are just tighter. I cant tell any difference trying pinned vs unpinned barrels in either type until the actual torque. My barrel tool is a piece of 1/8 x 1" angle about 14 inches long with 2 holes drilled to clamp another piece of the same material in the center area and use hardwood blocks roughly shaped to match the frame contours (I use a spare yoke to help support the frame, I dont have actual frame blocks) to hold the frame. They pop loose with some effort, but are nice and smooth after popped loose. I clamp the barrel in a bench vise with other hardwood blocks roughly routed out to fit the barrel contours.

Some pinned ones are tighter than average, and some later ones arent quite as tight as most later ones, with some overlap. On average later ones seem tighter, just not by a huge amount.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    The term was actually used in the firearms press years ago, and seems to have become entrenched in the shooting legends and vocabulary. Yes, many are pretty tight, but I dont think crush fit is truly correct.
    Ah. I've been using the wrong terminology then.

Some pinned ones are tighter than average, and some later ones arent quite as tight as most later ones, with some overlap. On average later ones seem tighter, just not by a huge amount.
    I wonder if that's enough to make a difference when swapping barrels on the aluminum frames.

Ah. I've been using the wrong terminology then.

I wonder if that's enough to make a difference when swapping barrels on the aluminum frames.
    Its likely harder on them than steel frame guns, but I think any torqueing on aluminum frames and threads is hard on them. Galling is probably a factor as someone mentioned I believe. I believe Linebaughs factory contact mentioned they wouldnt swap barrels on aluminum frames.

I suspect part of the torque difference at the non-pinned transition may be its easier to spec with less precision by allowing higher torque. Just a guess. Like I said, there seems some variation in how much torque they have in the ones Ive messed with, just with higher on average amounts compared to older ones. The aluminum frames may be more sensitive to torque values though.

Rugers have never been pinned, I dont know what their torque values are, I havent pulled any.
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

All I've heard or read about pulling model 12 barrels are horror stories. I'm sure there has to be some successes out there, but I've yet to find one.

There is a lot of suspicion that quite a few model 12s that cracked had been cracked all along and it was only discovered upon barrel removal.
    I don't care. I'm not risking it...

...as tempting as a 3" heavy barrel RB 12 might be.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BarryinIN View Post
    All I've heard or read about pulling model 12 barrels are horror stories. I'm sure there has to be some successes out there, but I've yet to find one.

There is a lot of suspicion that quite a few model 12s that cracked had been cracked all along and it was only discovered upon barrel removal.
    I don't care. I'm not risking it...

...as tempting as a 3" heavy barrel RB 12 might be.
    I believe the late, great Karl Sokol had replaced Barrels on a few Airweight guns over the years, and I THINK I know of one other 'Smith who has done so successfully, but there are precious few "Gun Plumbers" I'd trust to try it on a Gun of mine...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    Hi, allow me to introduce you to the Taurus 856 Defender Ultra Lite: 3 inch, aluminum frame 38 Special +P. Holds six rounds too, so it's technically better than an LCRx in that regard

https://www.taurususa.com/revolvers/...hogue-r-rubber
    Jetfire,

We talked about how this would be damn near perfect if it was DAO with a bobbed hammer. That's for folks who know what these revolvers are for. The unwashed will wail and moan about "muh single action" being gone.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Site Supporter

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by onehalfmvsquared View Post
    Hello! I'm looking into the options for a lightweight 38 special with a 3 inch barrel. The only options that I see are the Ruger LCRx and the Taurus Ultralite 856 Defender. Am I overlooking another option? the Taurus is nearly half the price of the Ruger and offers 6 rounds to the Ruger 5.

I already have a steel SP101 and a K-frame in 3", and I have a lightweight snub in 642. I'm interested in the "middle ground"

thanks
    Per jetfire's suggestion towards the back page, get that 856 Ultralite. If you don't like it, wait a year and see what happens at SHOT (maybe).
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

User Tag List