Thread: Anyone in the Gilbert AZ area?

Anyone in the Gilbert AZ area?

I'm visiting my mom in a few weeks. I'm flying through Boston and let my mass carry permit expire. Does anyone here have I loaner I could carry for a week?
    On the ragged edge of the world I'll roam,
    And the home of the wolf shall be my home - Robert Service

Unsolicited answer you probably don't want to hear, but anyone considering your solicitation needs to hear:

The 1968 GCA only allows the "loan" of a firearm to a resident of another state for lawful sporting purposes. Something like lending a person a long gun to go hunting with, or a handgun for an IDPA shoot. Otherwise, giving a gun to someone and leaving their presence for an extended period of time to go about their business on their own is generally considered a transfer of possession, regardless of any agreement to give it back at a later date.

Caveat emptor.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Unsolicited answer you probably don't want to hear, but anyone considering your solicitation needs to hear:

The 1968 GCA only allows the "loan" of a firearm to a resident of another state for lawful sporting purposes. Something like lending a person a long gun to go hunting with, or a handgun for an IDPA shoot. Otherwise, giving a gun to someone and leaving their presence for an extended period of time to go about their business on their own is generally considered a transfer of possession, regardless of any agreement to give it back at a later date.

Caveat emptor.
    Thank you. I didn't know that.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post

Caveat emptor.
    I started to ask about whether this was inherently illegal, then realized it would be a transfer to a resident from another state, so, I answered my own question....

I believe.... if @03RN were to ship his own pistol, addressed to himself, but c/o someone near his destination, he could pick it up and that would be within the law... ???

I assume when I read the OP, that "flying through Boston"means "staying a few days in Boston"..?
    If flying from Home to AZ with a transfer in Boston, you could just check the gun with the airline and pick it up in AZ when you land... The transfer in Boston wouldn't be illegal, as long as you didn't get stuck in Boston and have to pick up your bag..... No??
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    I started to ask about whether this was inherently illegal, then realized it would be a transfer to a resident from another state, so, I answered my own question....

I believe.... if @03RN were to ship his own pistol, addressed to himself, but c/o someone near his destination, he could pick it up and that would be within the law... ???
    IIRC, a non-licensee may only ship long guns through the USPS, and common contract carriers no longer accept firearm shipments between non-licensees.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

I assume when I read the OP, that "flying through Boston"means "staying a few days in Boston"..?
    If flying from Home to AZ with a transfer in Boston, you could just check the gun with the airline and pick it up in AZ when you land... The transfer in Boston wouldn't be illegal, as long as you didn't get stuck in Boston and have to pick up your bag..... No??
    Wracking my brain, but I seem to remember Boston being one of those airports that specifically goes out of its way to hassle gun owners (Newark and the New York City airports being the other ones that pop to mind). I'll see if I can find my source(s).
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

In Alaska, it is pretty common to loan a friend visiting, a firearm for bear defense. However that person would be using it in your presence, and Alaska ain't the lower 48.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Just driving to the airport and flying out that day.

Mailing a handgun has become a huge hassle. I drice the hour recently to a gunsmith rather than mail it.

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    Wracking my brain, but I seem to remember Boston being one of those airports that specifically goes out of its way to hassle gun owners (Newark and the New York City airports being the other ones that pop to mind). I'll see if I can find my source(s).
    If I kept my permit I would just check it. I hardly ever go that far south anymore so I forgot about it.

User Tag List