Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: .32 H&R Magnum data

@4given

Compared to my 47th edition, published in '95, the current manual omits a 72gr (#311252). All other data is completely unchanged.
    Taking a break from social media.

Quote Originally Posted by 4given View Post
    The manual came in. It only has data for a 90 gr swaged HBWC and a bunch of jacketed bullets. Lists starting loads with a number of different powders so that is helpful. Not exactly what I was hoping for but it helps.

I'll post the page from the second edition after work.

Name:  IMG_0453.jpg
Views: 287
Size:  101.1 KB

Lyman Pistol and Revolver Reloading Handbook, second edition, 1994

From Speer #13

Quote Originally Posted by 4given View Post
    From Speer #13

Gut feeling is those could be improved a fair bit with a plain base coated cast or hardcast bullet, since the data listed is for the soft HBWC.

I just set up my 550 for 32 S&W Long. Since the reason I'm going to the 432/632 is for less recoil, I will be mostly shooting 32 Long in it.

I'm loading a coated 100 grain SWC over a starting load of Bullseye. I've only fired a few rounds to test. Looks like it goes about 680 fps in an old I-Frame.

During my research, I wandered over to the Bullseye Forum where they're shooting 32 S&W Long out of Bullseye guns and getting astounding groups at 50 yards.

I'll probably got some of @Lost River's wadcutters for carry.

Quote Originally Posted by jandbj View Post
    Gut feeling is those could be improved a fair bit with a plain base coated cast or hardcast bullet, since the data listed is for the soft HBWC.
    I concur. This data will give me a great place to start.

Here is data from Reload Ammo (formerly MD Smith Reloading Pages):

98 Grain HBWC lead (.314″)

Bullseye 2.3 gr. 810 (max)
    Unique 4.0 gr. 998 (max)
    Last edited by 4given; 03-02-2024 at 09:37 PM.

First small batch after chrono.

MBC 98gr DEWC
    2.8gr Unique
    CCI SPP
    Starline brass
    1.150 O.A.L

Avg: 800fps

Shot 58-1x/60 B8 @25yds, top edge hold.

Name:  20240403_153129.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  49.8 KB
    Taking a break from social media.

Site Supporter
    I haven't bought one of the new UC guns (yet!), but I have three 32 revolvers, the 2" LCR in 327, an older 432, and a 3" 327 TORO from Taurus. I worked some loads up and did some chrono, gel, and accuracy testing with all three guns with 32 long, 32 H&R, and (for the LCR and Taurus) 327 fed mag loads. I didn't have my H110 with me at the time, so the 327 loads should not be considered "full power" as I was using titegroup. I used both 85 grain Hornady XTPs and a 100 grain flat point bullet that I stocked up on through american reloading years ago. I will need to compile the data, but I'll put it in here as soon as I have it.

Even though I have a number of other powders that are better know for revolver loads, I have actually found that Titegroup has been a great option in the 32 guns due to the relative small volume. When shooting jacketed bullets the smoke is a nono-issue. I will be working up loads for a coated wadcutter in the next couple of weeks and perhaps I'll have to re-consider my powder selection for those bullets, but for the 7-8k of the 100 grain jacketed bullets I'll likely use Titegroup for most of them.

User Tag List