Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Large LE agency in the Los Angeles area going to AR Pattern 9mm Rifle maybe?

Currently by the ocean in CA and on the move to a more free state. Three more years!

Large LE agency in the Los Angeles area going to AR Pattern 9mm Rifle maybe?

I hate to even start this way, but I have a great friend who interacts with high level LE in the Los Angeles area and often gets a heads up about things happening in the local area. He has been spot on in the past (LAPD going to the FN 509 long before it was public) and on lots of other occasions.

He told me last week he was speaking with some LE guys from the area and they told him a large local agency is going to an AR pattern 9MM rifle.

This seem so wrong on some many fronts I just can't wrap my head around it.

This is the land of wackiness out here, so nothing would be a total surprise. However I am still having a hard time believing this one.

He has been 100% in the past and it is too early for April Fools Day, so what do you guys think? Does this make sense on any level?

Is it less racist or more friendly to shoot someone with a pistol caliber?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ECVMatt View Post
    I hate to even start this way, but I have a great friend who interacts with high level LE in the Los Angeles area and often gets a heads up about things happening in the local area. He has been spot on in the past (LAPD going to the FN 509 long before it was public) and on lots of other occasions.

He told me last week he was speaking with some LE guys from the area and they told him a large local agency is going to an AR pattern 9MM rifle.

This seem so wrong on some many fronts I just can't wrap my head around it.

This is the land of wackiness out here, so nothing would be a total surprise. However I am still having a hard time believing this one.

He has been 100% in the past and it is too early for April Fools Day, so what do you guys think? Does this make sense on any level?
    Context matters.

Is this supposed to replace existing 5.56 ?

Supplement existing 5.56?

Or are the getting 9mm long guns when they previously had only shot guns or no long guns at all?

My agency added 9mm MPX’s to supplement 5.56 M-4s for certain uses (in vehicles, low visibility bag guns etc). The other purpose was to replace pump shotguns with an alternative long gun whose manual of arms was as similar to M-4s as possible.

Would I trade my M-4 for an MPX ? No.

Would I rather have an MPX than no long gun at all? Yes.
    Last edited by HCM; 01-28-2024 at 10:49 PM.

Currently by the ocean in CA and on the move to a more free state. Three more years!
    My understanding is that they would be replacing 5.56 AR rifles currently fielded with a 9mm AR pattern rifle.

Site Supporter
    I know nothing and have no street cred in this realm. But I can see some bureaucrats thinking they are being more efficient and saving money having one caliber of ammo to deal with.

There's another potential benefit if it feeds from the same pattern mag as the issued service pistol.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Site Supporter
    My understanding is that they would be replacing 5.56 AR rifles currently fielded with a 9mm AR pattern rifle.
    Yeah, that would be a no for me then.

The collective “we” in LE tried the PCC thing in the 90s and it was found lacking.

North Hollywood Bank Robbery much?
    All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.
    No one is coming. It is up to us.

F*ck That...!!!

"Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

User Tag List