Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In a JCN-esque manner… I built a thing. Lightweight manually operated 7.62x39

In a JCN-esque manner… I built a thing. Lightweight manually operated 7.62x39

Name:  IMG_1940.jpg
Views: 699
Size:  18.2 KB
    Name:  IMG_1939.jpg
Views: 697
Size:  15.1 KB

4lbs 15.7 oz.
    Name:  IMG_1938.jpg
Views: 698
Size:  19.2 KB

Inspired by the Solo300 website:
    http://www.solo300.com
    I really like their charging handle. But I didn’t want a left side charging handle.

Started with a BCA upper with right side charging.

Chopped the carrier in half-ish.
    Name:  IMG_1945.jpg
Views: 697
Size:  24.8 KB
    You can see the solo300 handle on it.
    Name:  IMG_1946.jpg
Views: 698
Size:  31.4 KB

Found a 16” barrel in the parts bin. Mounted a chopped gas block backwards so the gas isn’t going anywhere.
    Name:  IMG_1947.jpg
Views: 683
Size:  27.5 KB

Added a lightweight barrel nut and found some eBay carbon fiber tubing to make a handguard, similar to what you can get for a PCC. Almost done other than adding a few holes to attach the handguard to the barrel nut.

If I really like this, I may plug the gas port in the barrel with a tapped 6x40 screw and turn the barrel diameter down a bit to delete the backwards gas block.

Borrowed the side folding stock (Sig hinge/farrowtech carbon fiber stock) off my Charger SBR to put on this spare lower. Lightweight ATI stripped lower assembled as a pistol with the KNS pic rail rear.

I like what you've done there! I remember a couple of guys on one of the 6.8 SPC forums doing something similar several years ago and I wanted to try it but I never got around to it. They weren't going for lightweight though.

What mags are you using? What is the reasoning behind chopping the BCG? Is it easier to cycle?

Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Very cool.
    How fast is that from aimed shot to aimed shot?

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    I like what you've done there! I remember a couple of guys on one of the 6.8 SPC forums doing something similar several years ago and I wanted to try it but I never got around to it. They weren't going for lightweight though.

What mags are you using? What is the reasoning behind chopping the BCG? Is it easier to cycle?

Chopped BCG so it doesn’t need a buffer tube & works with the folder. May do a couple of others in 6.5 Grendel and 5.56.

If I eliminate the backwards gas block which is in the way of pulling the barrel nut/handguard, you can do these as a quick change multi barrel just by switching the barrel and an appropriate bolt.

Using my Grendel mags for the 7.62x39 presently… will pick up some random 10 rd polymer mags to see if they’ll work with the 7.62x39.

There’s a whole thread on rokslide of guys building these as lightweight mountain guns.
    https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/...rifles.329402/

Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    Very cool.
    How fast is that from aimed shot to aimed shot?
    If the weather lets up, hoping to get it to the range next week.
    I like to think of it as the affordable DIY Mini Fix, in a caliber I already have stockpiled.

Only thing it’s presently missing is an ambi safety. Noticed it’ll need that in dry reps, since once your running multiple shots, I’d like to be able to safe it after a reload without having to wrap my right hand back around the pistol grip.

Name:  IMG_1970.jpg
Views: 485
Size:  28.1 KB

Done. Fixed stock weighs less than the folder. 4lbs 15oz as seen here.

To answer the question about repeated aimed shots, it’s as quick as any bolt gun with a very vertical grip. Right hand thumb stays to the right side of the grip to cycle the bolt handle as soon as the shot is fired.

Had I thought of doing this sooner, I likely wouldn’t have bought a CZ527.

Quote Originally Posted by jandbj View Post
    Name:  IMG_1970.jpg
Views: 485
Size:  28.1 KB

Done. Fixed stock weighs less than the folder. 4lbs 15oz as seen here.

To answer the question about repeated aimed shots, it’s as quick as any bolt gun with a very vertical grip. Right hand thumb stays to the right side of the grip to cycle the bolt handle as soon as the shot is fired.

Had I thought of doing this sooner, I likely wouldn’t have bought a CZ527.
    How is the extraction? The thread you reference above has a number of reports that the bolt is hard to open in some chamberings.

@Norther

Haven’t played with other calibers yet, but in 7.62x39, no issues with hard extraction at all.

Following…
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

@SLG

I ordered a couple of no gas port barrels from http://www.peacegeek.net

Had the 16” 5.56 turned to a pencil contour by a buddy with a lathe. 17.2oz including the barrel extension. Needs a coat of BBQ paint then off to test fire in the near future.

Got an 8.5” 5.56 for the SBR upper I’m planning.

If you’re thinking about building one (or more) of these snap up a couple of these super inexpensive barrels!

User Tag List