Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Whole Foods Security Guard Potentially Faces Prison After Stopping Armed Robbery

Whole Foods Security Guard Potentially Faces Prison After Stopping Armed Robbery

A Whole Foods security guard potentially faces prison after making the news for stopping an armed robbery. The US Attorney's office alleges security guard Joshua Shuemake violated his probation by carrying a taser - a "dangerous weapon." Schuemake became a probibited person after a 2022 conviction for violating a restraining order and witness tampering.

https://komonews.com/news/local/seat...nty-washington

Sucks for him, but I'm wondering why exactly a prohibited person was in a security guard role in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelD View Post
    Sucks for him, but I'm wondering why exactly a prohibited person was in a security guard role in the first place.
    Why can’t someone who can’t possess a firearm work as an unarmed security guard?
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Site Supporter
    Trying to rob a Whole Foods with an unchambered, no mag, slide locked gun - that seems appropriate for Whole Foods. Why bother to take her down? Give her a cart of organic kale and tofu, some bottle of juice made from someone's lawn. BTW, I was in our Whole Foods today - we don't have a guard - our tofu is safe.
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by WobblyPossum View Post
    Why can’t someone who can’t possess a firearm work as an unarmed security guard?
    Even unarmed security guards have an element of “trustworthiness” inherent to their position.

Just as in court and for insurance/ bonding purposes someone with a felony, particularly for something like witness tampering, would have a credibility / trustworthiness issue.

In most states that have security guard licensing being a felon is also a bar to getting even a basic / unarmed guard card.

In this particular case it seems the individual was still on probation with “no dangerous weapons” (like tasers) as a specific condition of probation.

The security guard was a former federal prison guard who had been under investigation for having sex with an inmate and "sharing information about inmates that resulted in assaults on some of those housed at the FDC." He had also repeatedly been in trouble with the court for working armed security jobs and wearing clothing identifying him as federal law enforcement after he'd lost his gun rights:

https://www.justice.gov/usao-wdwa/pr...possession-and

His interview with KOMO News after stopping the alleged armed robbery attempt alerted federal prosecutors to the problem.
    Show me a hero, and I'll show you a moronic criminal scumbag on federal probation. I hope Federal VOP hearings are shorter and sweeter than state hearings.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by WobblyPossum View Post
    I would imagine most states are similar...but here in VA, you can't get a security guard or locksmith license with CMTs or felonies due to that inherent trust and responsibility mentioned by @HCM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    I hope Whole Foods checks out it products better than its security. The place is a rip off - however, my wife like somethings they carry - Sigh.
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

I get the trustworthiness thing but it’s not like he’s guarding the federal reserve here. He was working at a supermarket. The guy shouldn’t have been violating his probation and he’s going to face the consequences of that,
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

User Tag List