Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Whole Foods Security Guard Potentially Faces Prison After Stopping Armed Robbery

Site Supporter
    This might be a failure of the Human Resources Department of said company and management knowing who their employees are. Just because you ran a background check on the time of hire doesn’t mean you know everything. Some states depending. If you're on something like accelerated rehab first time offender and it’s been kicked down because of that to a misdemeanor. You are able to be hired.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe S View Post
    Cue serious thread drift: not going after you personally, but as a jumping off point:

I think that's totally wrong, and part of what has gotten us into the current cultural/political mess our country is in. We've become too cool, too ironic, and we mock the opposing idea/idea person, which gets fun laughs from our side, and starts the screeching from the other side. You can pick any issue and any side, and you'll see it.

If we instead flatly and seriously pointed out the wrongs as wrongs, we would encourage open-minded people to our side, arm those who already agree with us with ammunition they can reuse, and at least show that we're above name calling while hopefully giving the crazies a little cognitive dissonance to mull over.

I think our zeitgeist is too concentrated on stoking our popularity on our own side with biting humor and clever rhetorical gambits, rather than actually being voices for reason.
    Believe me, I get it. I wish that was the way things worked but, at this point in our current society it isn't. The rational, facts-based angle is still important and we need people for that. Though, humor is a big angle too, which I think rational types ignore just a bit too much. I think this has been one of the biggest failures for the right; a serious inability to relate to different people on their own level.

Arguing facts about how certain hiring practices could lead to serious issues, for some that are more emotionally-oriented, is like talking to a brick wall. Cracking a joke and getting a laugh out of them by pointing out the ridiculous nature of something is a foot through the door to get them to even pay attention to facts.

Case and point, somewhat related to hiring practices and DEI. One could pull out studies and data to attempt to demonstrate why the hiring focus should be "the best person for the role". For the emotional person that "just wants to help", especially for people who are "underserved" or "underrepresented", they might mean well and those facts come off as cold and heartless. However, here's the humorous take:

That will upset some of those types but, it might plant seeds. Most are still going to get at least a bit of a laugh out of that. The contradictions are too obvious at this point, even for those that don't want to acknowledge it. Anyways, just my opinion.
    Administrator for PatRogers.org

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by camel View Post
    This might be a failure of the Human Resources Department of said company and management knowing who their employees are. Just because you ran a background check on the time of hire doesn’t mean you know everything. Some states depending. If you're on something like accelerated rehab first time offender and it’s been kicked down because of that to a misdemeanor. You are able to be hired.
    I doubt this person was an actual employee of Whole Foods. Most supermarkets contract out unformed security tasks. Same for most banks and retail.

Quote Originally Posted by Sig_Fiend View Post
    Because DEI. Same reason planes are starting to fall out of the sky. We're living in Idiocracy.
    It's called rhetorical hyperbole. I would have hoped that was obvious by the manner in which I posted. There aren't countless planes falling out of the sky... yet. Arguably, some of the tragedies over the past decade probably fall into this category (e.g. Boeing 737 MAX, poor outsourcing/offshoring practices, engineering failures, leadership failures, etc).

Regardless, all signs point to an abysmal future in the near term with the Fortune 500 continuing to focus on punishing merit, filling diversity "quotas", and seemingly failing to ensure integrity with critical systems. For example, hiring felons ("because everyone deserves a second chance!") into roles of authority or that offer significant opportunity for abuse.
    Do you have any proof that DEI is somehow primarily responsible, or at least played a key role, in the decline of Boeing in the past few decades? Because the folks I've talked to have laid the blame squarely on the merger between McDonnell Douglas and Boeing, and the pivot toward maximizing shareholder value over engineering excellence as dictated by the McDonnell Douglas management culture, rather than DEI initiatives.

Arguing facts about how certain hiring practices could lead to serious issues, for some that are more emotionally-oriented, is like talking to a brick wall. Cracking a joke and getting a laugh out of them by pointing out the ridiculous nature of something is a foot through the door to get them to even pay attention to facts.
    What may be funny to you may not be funny at all to someone of the opposing viewpoint, in fact, quite the opposite. If you fail, you're likely to further harden their views. Humor is a dangerous path to take because it can be so subjective. Facts certainly aren't the best persuaders typically, especially for anything that can be emotionally charged, but humor can very easily be construed as mocking the opposition viewpoint, and be even worse than facts. Empathy and finding a common middle ground tend to be far more effective.
    Last edited by Default.mp3; 01-29-2024 at 09:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    Do you have any proof that DEI is somehow primarily responsible, or at least played a key role, in the decline of Boeing in the past few decades? Because the folks I've talked to have laid the blame squarely on the merger between McDonnell Douglas and Boeing, and the pivot toward maximizing shareholder value over engineering excellence as dictated by the McDonnell Douglas management culture, rather than DEI initiatives.
    It was a joke... Or, as the Brits would say, "Taking the piss." There may or may not be some truth to it. The optics certainly look like that's at least one of I'm sure many factors. I'm sure you're correct that maximizing shareholder value is one of the more significant factors. With that, I'm out of this thread. Holy shit, people in the "gun community" seriously need to learn to lighten up.
    Administrator for PatRogers.org

It was a joke... Or, as the Brits would say, "Taking the piss." There may or may not be some truth to it. The optics certainly look like that's at least one of I'm sure many factors. I'm sure you're correct that maximizing shareholder value is one of the more significant factors. With that, I'm out of this thread. Holy shit, people in the "gun community" seriously need to learn to lighten up.
    We have more than our fair share of gate keeping virtue signalers.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Because DEI. Same reason planes are starting to fall out of the sky. We're living in Idiocracy.
    With all due respect, that's a load of garbage. Boeing has a long history of cutting corners ever since the beancounters and MBAs took over the company. They've sold off divisions and hired third-world contractors to make parts and write programming. For Boeing, it's all about pleasing the investor class and making big bonuses for C-suite occupants.,

They're going to lose their ability to make new designs soon enough, they've been pruning away their institutional knowledge base. In the 2030s, if an airline wants a quality large airplane made in the West, there will be one choice
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    I doubt this person was an actual employee of Whole Foods. Most supermarkets contract out unformed security tasks. Same for most banks and retail.
    I totally read the article wrong. You are right I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    With all due respect, that's a load of garbage. Boeing has a long history of cutting corners ever since the beancounters and MBAs took over the company. They've sold off divisions and hired third-world contractors to make parts and write programming. For Boeing, it's all about pleasing the investor class and making big bonuses for C-suite occupants.,

They're going to lose their ability to make new designs soon enough, they've been pruning away their institutional knowledge base. In the 2030s, if an airline wants a quality large airplane made in the West, there will be one choice
    The derp lies not in DEI, which in itself is more of a bit of surface decoration. Instead, one should look to the People with the Right Degrees from the Best Schools corporate culture, and the Cost Cutting Uber Alles & Offshore Everything! thinking all too prevalent.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

User Tag List