Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Better home defense than Glock 19 (don't need CCW) option for low skill user?

Better home defense than Glock 19 (don't need CCW) option for low skill user?

Hi All,

First off, thank. you for all the replies on my "Can I build basic skills on airgun and online resources" thread. I don't seem to be able to respond on that thread; not sure if I just got lucky with the moderation window on that first post or if there is different treatment for first-time posts vs followups. In any case, no complaints with the moderation process, completely understand why we need moderation for new users.

I'm about to get serious about building my pistol skills for home and vehicle defense. I do not (yet) care about CCW and just want the easiest-to-shoot-accurately option for the 3m to 25m range, with minimal sensitivity about size or weight. Before I invest this time and $$ on learning I'd like to make sure I have the best platform. I currently have a Gen 3 Glock 19 that I've never learned to properly shoot (just one live fire trip to the family ranch with helpful tips from a few rifle-only shooters).

So my question is, if I don't care about CCW and I'm only just about to start real training on pistol use, should I reconsider the Glock 19 in favor of a more modern or larger option? I'm not particularly price sensitive. Probably don't want to jump straight to a Wilson or Stacatto XC, but something like a Kimber Scorpius would be perfectly fine if they are definitively better than a Glock 19 for ease of use, and at least as reliable with gentle treatment and maintenance. At the end of the day, my priorities are that the gun works when I need it and that I have the best chance of hitting a mid range target with minimal skills. My current plan is to invest in a Holo 509 with Vulcan sites for whichever pistol I go with, but I am very open to other options if better suited to my objectives.

Thanks again for all the helpful responses I've already received.

-Paul

If you currently have a Glock 19, I would stay with it. Once you have gotten your skill level up across the board & have a more "educated" idea of what you need and want, then you can look at other platforms.

Guns from Wilson and Stacatto are nice, but that money can be spent on ammunition, instruction, and range time.

The "skill level" stuff I mentioned - accurate hits at a reasonable distance within 10 yards, ability to reload the pistol, ability to clear common stoppages, working from a ready position and the holster, as well as strong-hand-only shooting.

If you just HAVE to buy another handgun, i.e., you have a case of the 'wantsies", then maybe consider a Glock 17 if you think you like the Glock platform.

But as recommended above, training and ammo would probably represent money better spent at this point in your handgun journey. The 17 would be a marginally better HD handgun than the 19. Marginally. Since the 19 can run 17 round Glock magazines, the 17 doesn't really offer that much more than the 19 other than a slightly longer sight radius.

I'd consider equipping the 19 with a good weapon light if the primary purpose is HD. But I'd also get a good hand held light and learn how to use that as well.
    In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” ― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Quote Originally Posted by Erick Gelhaus View Post
    ...but that money can be spent on ammunition, instruction, and range time.
    This is pretty much always the correct answer.
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by paul-mf View Post
    Hi All,

First off, thank. you for all the replies on my "Can I build basic skills on airgun and online resources" thread. I don't seem to be able to respond on that thread; not sure if I just got lucky with the moderation window on that first post or if there is different treatment for first-time posts vs followups. In any case, no complaints with the moderation process, completely understand why we need moderation for new users.

I'm about to get serious about building my pistol skills for home and vehicle defense. I do not (yet) care about CCW and just want the easiest-to-shoot-accurately option for the 3m to 25m range, with minimal sensitivity about size or weight. Before I invest this time and $$ on learning I'd like to make sure I have the best platform. I currently have a Gen 3 Glock 19 that I've never learned to properly shoot (just one live fire trip to the family ranch with helpful tips from a few rifle-only shooters).

So my question is, if I don't care about CCW and I'm only just about to start real training on pistol use, should I reconsider the Glock 19 in favor of a more modern or larger option? I'm not particularly price sensitive. Probably don't want to jump straight to a Wilson or Stacatto XC, but something like a Kimber Scorpius would be perfectly fine if they are definitively better than a Glock 19 for ease of use, and at least as reliable with gentle treatment and maintenance. At the end of the day, my priorities are that the gun works when I need it and that I have the best chance of hitting a mid range target with minimal skills. My current plan is to invest in a Holo 509 with Vulcan sites for whichever pistol I go with, but I am very open to other options if better suited to my objectives.

-Paul
    Owning a Guitar alone will never make you a guitarist.

Software > hardware. You will never go wrong investing in the shooter.

The Glock 19 does everything you need it to. Some minimum modifications such as pre cut grip tape to make the grip “grippier” and / or a magazine well or magazine extension could be helpful but not strictly necessary.

A different handgun is not going to make any difference. Take that money and invest in ammo and a training class even if you have to pay for travel to do so.

Once you “know what right looks like” you will get far more out of working with airsoft or dry practice.

The only other question is do you have more experience with something other than a handgun ? For example, a person with extensive experience, shooting something like a 22 caliber, semi rifle or shooting a shotgun for hunting or Claybird sports would probably be better off with a long gun they are familiar with. If that’s not you, then disregard.

PS- you mentioned this is for home defense-One of the things you will want to consider is the need for friend / foe identifications. Many threats manifest during hours of darkness. While you may have ambient lighting inside or outside your house it’s not something you want to rely on. While one can mount a light directly onto a pistol or a long gun relying on that alone is problematic because you have to point the gun at whatever you want to illuminate and identify. A handgun paired with a handheld light, gives you the option to illuminate and identify things without necessarily pointing a gun at them.

I think the only thing that's significantly "easier" to shoot than a Glock 19, or any handgun, is a carbine that takes Glock 19 mags.

Hammertime
    Hi All,

-Paul
    Welcome Paul.

You have a great gun already. I just want to reaffirm what every one else has said. A Glock 19, a case of ammo and some training/practice is the answer.

Thanks for all of the considerate responses; I am so impressed with how knowledgable and welcoming this group is.

All of your notes makes sense about investing in the software before the hardware. Based on this and feedback in my other thread I will stick with the Glock and am shopping around for 2 or 3 day starting course within a few hours drive of central Texas.

I should have clarified up front that I while I am not sensitive to size within the pistol class it does need to be a pistol as I'd like to use it for both home and vehicle defense, so it needs to fit in a glove box or a slim biometric safe that can go under the car seat.

Thanks also for the notes about the importance of lighting. I do already have a pretty decent olight handheld but haven't been keeping it near the gun, just in a kitchen drawer. I'll add another flashlight for the bedside, and look into a few gun mount options.

...So my question is, if I don't care about CCW and I'm only just about to start real training on pistol use, should I reconsider the Glock 19 in favor of a more modern or larger option? I'm not particularly price sensitive. Probably don't want to jump straight to a Wilson or Stacatto XC, but something like a Kimber Scorpius would be perfectly fine if they are definitively better than a Glock 19 for ease of use, and at least as reliable with gentle treatment and maintenance.
    In comparison to any 1911 or 2011, a Gen5 Glock is:
    • A more modern design
    • More reliable
    • Easier and safer to use for life safety purposes
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

I mentioned the one-hand shooting, that is there to support your learning how to use a hand-held light.

User Tag List