Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Colt Cobra Special

Site Supporter

Colt Cobra Special

I lucked out this week on GB and bought a Colt Cobra Special (MB2WBB), new in the box, at a fair price. The seller was Frank's Guns. The gun is so nice that I called him this morning to thank him. He told me a large dealer near him is liquidating inventory, and that's how he came across the piece. He told me that the dealer is releasing inventory in waves, so keep an eye on his GB sales for interesting pieces. But please don't bid against me if you see I'm in the game.

Anyway, about the gun. It was a limited edition run in 2020. The black finish (DLC?), brass bead sight, and wood grips are unique features of the run. I picked it up this morning and ran 30 Underwood 150-grain wadcutters and 170 Precision Delta 148-grain wadcutters through the gun. It is a shooter. POA/POI is dead on. The picture is my first 30 rounds, ten each from 5, 10, and 15 yards. The gun is the smallest size and weight I want for handling, accuracy, and recoil in a .38 revolver. Underwoods in my Python feel like 32s. You can feel the spice in the Cobra, which is why I bailed out of 38 J-frames. The Precision Delta wadcutters were accurate, and the gun's 25 ounces significantly mitigated recoil.

The grips are ideal for my hand size and AIWB concealment. They extend below the frame, allowing for a firm three-finger grip. Firing Underwood caused my middle finger to bang against the trigger guard. This happened whenever I let up on my support hand's rearward pressure. It served as a good training tool--pain does have a place in training. Reach to the trigger is ideal; no steering the trigger either way. If you are a practitioner of Glock trigger reset techniques, this gun will frustrate you. You have to let off all the way. I let recoil assist my finger off the trigger. The brass bead sight was a wow. I ordered a F/O sight when I ordered the gun. I'm going to return that to Brownells.

I prefer revolvers for AIWB, and the Cobra is the ideal size for that type of carry. It's a keeper.

Name:  Left.jpg
Views: 696
Size:  101.9 KB

Name:  Right.jpg
Views: 650
Size:  103.3 KB

Name:  First Shots.jpg
Views: 634
Size:  26.9 KB

Nice. Congrats!

Now that's what I'm talking about.

I'll take that over any of the new Smith releases.
    On the ragged edge of the world I'll roam,
    And the home of the wolf shall be my home - Robert Service

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    Nice. Congrats!
    Thank you.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Now that's what I'm talking about.

I'll take that over any of the new Smith releases.
    I like the idea of the 432/632 in .32 S&W. The J-frame form factor is NG for my pocket carry needs. And any gun over 12 ounces is more than I want to stuff in my pocket. I prefer flat semi-autos for pocket carry. A revolver on my waist allows for larger and heavier options, negating the J-frame's need. Thanks to you, I just talked myself out of an impulse buy.

Love it!

That’s a good find! I have been looking for one of those for some time. I wish Colt would do a run of them. Enjoy and give us any updates on your experience.

That's a good one!

I'd like to see Colt do an aluminum frame Cobra with a spurless hammer and tritium front.

Quote Originally Posted by Hideeho View Post
    I like the idea of the 432/632 in .32 S&W. The J-frame form factor is NG for my pocket carry needs. And any gun over 12 ounces is more than I want to stuff in my pocket. I prefer flat semi-autos for pocket carry. A revolver on my waist allows for larger and heavier options, negating the J-frame's need. Thanks to you, I just talked myself out of an impulse buy.
    My butt is way to big for pocket carry. I have a hard time pulling keys out.
    On the ragged edge of the world I'll roam,
    And the home of the wolf shall be my home - Robert Service

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Mac View Post
    That's a good one!

I'd like to see Colt do an aluminum frame Cobra with a spurless hammer and tritium front.
    I do not think they will. The frame and parts commonalities between the Cobra and King Cobra create too much savings for Colt to want to create limited runs that would increase short and long-term costs. Production costs would increase, as would their warranty and reputation management costs with the lighter gun. The only difference I can readily detect between the two is the thicker top strap on the King. The Cobra's cylinder appears to be the same length as a King. I discovered .357s fit in the Cobra's chambers. Someone new to the 38/357ncalibers might light off a magnum or two before the top strap pops. My hypothesis: I would not be able to get the cylinder to rotate with six magnums and could get the cylinder to rotate and fire with a mix of specials and magnums. Could Colt disprove my hypothesis on YouTube or send me a T&E and appropriate safety equipment to conduct the test? This model can handle any reasonable .38 load you feed. At this late stage in the game, I'm learning to carry the largest and heaviest revolver circumstances and ability allow me to carry.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    My butt is way to big for pocket carry. I have a hard time pulling keys out.
    I pocket carry. It impresses the women. Though I once tried pocket carrying an N-frame and was told I was over selling.

User Tag List