Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Be aware, possible visual occlusion open emitter optics.

Recently escaped the People's Republic of Portland

Be aware, possible visual occlusion open emitter optics.

First time I have experienced this failure and would not have believed it if I hadn't seen it. (also captured on video)

Conditions: mid 40's, raining, heavy cloud cover. While down at PFC in Vegas earlier this week I was doing some structure clearing training. One of the dudes on the team runs a G17, RMR type2. After moving into position prior to punching out to engage a reasonably far target from behind a barricade he purposefully exhaled his breath, pistol was in a compressed high ready.

As he punched out after his intentional breath, he couldn't find the dot. He pulled back behind cover after realizing the dot was being impacted by the system being fogged from his breath. Took about 12 seconds for the system to clear and dot to become useful again. We stopped the series to dig into the failure. The objective lens was obviously obscured but the failure was the emitter itself. We handed him my pistol with an RCR to perform the same test, rear lens was fogged just the same but dot was not completely obscured. Performed the same set of circumstances with my second rig running 509T2 with the same result.

This was a perfect storm of technique, conditions, equipment but a result is a result regardless. This could obviously be trained out of him BUT it highlights a shortcoming of an open emitter system in this condition set.

Something to test yourself but figured this info could be lifesaving for some of you.

To that note, everyone on the team is moving to an enclosed emitter optic immediately.

Just curious, were the iron sights still usable? Also how’s the conceal ability on the RCR? I find the acros to not really be where I want them and am currently using a holosun Glock scs. Which as an aside during my rds transition course (3 days which was relatively warm but rainy/drizzly) I didn’t have any issues with the scs but we had 4 acros fog so bad the dot and irons were not visible ( I believe aimpoint replaced all four under warranty)

Jason

Just curious, does this officer ever treat his optic with any anti fog?

Quote Originally Posted by Cdub_NW View Post
    my pistol with an RCR...
    Where did you get the RCR? I've had one on order since the initial launch and am still waiting.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Where did you get the RCR? I've had one on order since the initial launch and am still waiting.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk
    Walked into my local amazing FFL Deschutes Arms & Munitions and he had two on the shelf. Right place right time. But I love it. This shop also had a ton of the Garmin chronograph units early on. Solid shop for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by Ndbbm View Post
    Just curious, were the iron sights still usable? Also how’s the conceal ability on the RCR? I find the acros to not really be where I want them and am currently using a holosun Glock scs. Which as an aside during my rds transition course (3 days which was relatively warm but rainy/drizzly) I didn’t have any issues with the scs but we had 4 acros fog so bad the dot and irons were not visible ( I believe aimpoint replaced all four under warranty)

Jason
    Any idea of where those ACROs fell in the serial number range? Just curious as I'll be in the market for one soonish and if they're older models I'll make sure to steer clear of the earlier serials. If they're newer, I guess I'll just have to roll the dice and test mine out myself when I get it...

Quote Originally Posted by Ndbbm View Post

Jason
    Irons were not initially visible in the lighting conditions but became visible quicker than the emitter to unfog in the ambient air on his RMR.

Concealability is fine with the RCR as you'd expect. Larger footprint than irons of course but nothing that impacts what I wear clothing wise. Fits all my holsters the RMR was in: JMCK AIWB, Safariland DSO, T-Rex.

Quote Originally Posted by Utm View Post
    Just curious, does this officer ever treat his optic with any anti fog?
    Yes the objective lens, but not the emitter. We re-applied immediately and did have shorter dwell time for fog to clear after on the objective lens but the emitter fogging was still an issue on the RMR.

I noticed some rain drops on my rear lens but nothing that hindered acquiring the dot.

One guy in the training had an SRO that turned into a kiddy pool in the rain we were in. Could not get his optic clear, ended up missing the first shot (cleared during recoil) but cost him time. He is also ditching the SRO (thankfully)

Quote Originally Posted by Basher View Post
    Any idea of where those ACROs fell in the serial number range? Just curious as I'll be in the market for one soonish and if they're older models I'll make sure to steer clear of the earlier serials. If they're newer, I guess I'll just have to roll the dice and test mine out myself when I get it...
    No idea, I believe all came from the same seller same batch. One of the ones that didn’t fail I. The class later was replace under warranty when the control panel failed. I believe they were all P2s though. I haven’t heard of any issues with the replacements.

Jason

I just got back from a local USPSA match, with biblical rain. On the 4th target of a stage the rain was so heavy that water covered the emitter and the dot was projected in the wrong direction. It cost me quite a bit of time, and points. I really wish there was a large window closed emitter optic.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

User Tag List