Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Can I build basic pistol skills from nothing with an airgun and online resources?

Quote Originally Posted by paul-mf View Post
    @Default.mp3 My thinking on the shotgun is that shotguns have handling forgiveness built in, and that in the stress of a home defense situation I may be likely to forget most if not all of my training discipline. With a shotgun, if I get into the generally right area, I'm more likely to stop or at least distract an opponent than I would with a complete miss using a pistol or AR. Perhaps an implicit assumption here is that home defense will most likely involve unexpected close-quarters encounters. I do think an AR is the better option for controlled, longer distance scenarios, just not looking to optimize for those first.

Regarding 1014 vs 1301, my ever-so-valuable internet research seems to indicate a draw on the factors I consider most important: reliability with assorted ordinance, and ability to use at longer range when appropriate. In a world where ultimate capability seems to be equal I devolve to considering aesthetics, and on this front the Benelli is a definitive winner for my taste. Moderators, feel justified in ejecting from this forum for allowing aesthetics to be a consideration.
    I am of the opinion that from a practical perspective, for the new shooter only interested in duty/self-defense use, the AR is a much better platform than the shotgun, as it has an easier set of mechanics, much more adjustability (stocks, handguards, etc.), and would be cheaper and physically easier to shoot in general (the last of which can be a serious consideration if you have family members who may also need to pick up a weapon), so training up on it with live fire would be more viable. I also believe that you are being wildly optimistic about just how much less aiming you will need with a shotgun compared to a rifle in CQB distances.

As for the M4/1014 versus the 1301, it is my understanding that the 1301 is reliable with a wider variety of loads (with the M4 tending to short stroke more easily on lighter loads), is lighter, is cheaper, and has a much larger aftermarket. Again, the M4 is by all accounts a fine shotgun, but the 1301 seems to edge it out in most respects.

@Default.mp3 My thinking on the shotgun is that shotguns have handling forgiveness built in, and that in the stress of a home defense situation I may be likely to forget most if not all of my training discipline. With a shotgun, if I get into the generally right area, I'm more likely to stop or at least distract an opponent than I would with a complete miss using a pistol or AR. Perhaps an implicit assumption here is that home defense will most likely involve unexpected close-quarters encounters. I do think an AR is the better option for controlled, longer distance scenarios, just not looking to optimize for those first.

Regarding 1014 vs 1301, my ever-so-valuable internet research seems to indicate a draw on the factors I consider most important: reliability with assorted ordinance, and ability to use at longer range when appropriate. In a world where ultimate capability seems to be equal I devolve to considering aesthetics, and on this front the Benelli is a definitive winner for my taste. Moderators, feel justified in ejecting from this forum for allowing aesthetics to be a consideration.
    Long guns are generally easier to aim and hit with on a shooting range, but they are also harder to move around with and stop someone from taking away from you in close quarters. It's not a free lunch.

A pistol has the advantage of allowing you to use a hand held flashlight, hold a cellular phone, manipulate other objects or people while holding the gun in one hand, or having it holstered, perhaps concealed, and ready. ShivWorks videos should give you an idea about why "weapon retention" is a big deal. This is no different inside your house.

A shotgun or rifle will be easier to make hits with as range increases, and they are more powerful. However, they both take some specialized knowledge to make them work reliably as a life saving tool, especially in close quarters. Neither will be forgiving of poor aim or bad decision making. I will say that I consider a quality AR pattern rifle, properly maintained and correctly loaded, to be a nearly unrivaled combination of reliability and easy to shoot/operate. Shotguns are absolutely devastating tools, but they do recoil more than I enjoy, and they may demand more from the user in terms of reliable operation in some regards.

Between a pistol, shotgun, or rifle, none of them are a bad choice for home defense. But this is only true if you get quality training, practice the skills you learn, and are able to employ good tactics and sound decision making should the worst come to pass. Otherwise it's just a crapshoot whatever hardware you purchase.

Here's hoping none of us will ever see such a day!

2. I'm also looking at a Benelli 1014 for primary home defense, with the Glock as a concealed carry option outside the home. But I haven't yet found a long gun forum that seems as credible and level headed as this one. Any recommendations for other forums that might provide similar-- or at least not terrible-- guidance on shotgun and rifle skills?
    PF is going to be your best forum for long guns, as well as handguns.

As far as home defense, it isn't exactly an "either/or" position. As Massad Ayoob (who posts her as @Mas) has written in the past, the long gun is akin to artillery, used from a fixed position into a known point, as in your family has secured themselves in the master bedroom, hunkered down behind the bed, with the shotgun pointed towards the door. Any forced entry into that door gets met with devastation. The pistol is more akin to infantry, with the ability to maneuver easier. Consider that it is easier and more discreet to answer the door with a concealed pistol on your person than with a shotgun in hand.

The above is just one example, though. I would defer to the shotgun SME's here on specifics of shotgun equipment and tactics.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Site Supporter
    Shotgun story - friend competes in a military, law enforcement shotgun 'tactical' experience. Has to shoot under a car. Doesn't get a good chest position in the under the car position. Bang, dislocates his clavicle. Off to the ER. And he was an experienced user. Under speed pressure and ouch.

You can miss with a shotgun. Just watch a match with those plates and folks going fast.
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

User Tag List