Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What FN should have done with the new High Power?

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post

Maybe Jon is correct in his musings and they will bring out a polymer version.
    To what end? It may bring the price down and save weight but the lack of 21st Century features remains.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Well, the magazine well is improved. I'm actively experimenting/using/t&e'ing red dot sights, both open and closed emitters, and frankly I'm still a bit ambivalent. Yeah, they're the hotness, and yes, especially for aging eyes they're great, but for close-in to medium distances, I'm not totally convinced that they're necessary or a significant improvement, so the lack of RDS attachment on the new HP isn't necessarily the kiss of death/immediate obsolescence to me.

The current offering is heavy and relatively expensive, so I'm not personally champing at the bit to get one, but it seems to be a credible offering. But it's perhaps unfortunately a credible offering in a sea of credible offerings...

A polymer frame version might be interesting....

Best, Jon
    Sponsored by Check-Mate Industries and BH Spring Solutions
    Certified Glock Armorer

To those who object to the new High Power...

I'm guessing you think that Porsche should have just kept the 911 air-cooled, too, then? Maybe even just left it on its original platform? Granted, different types of products, but still.

I'm in favor of revising, and even completely redesigning, products to add improvements to them. Why should guns be any different from other products in this regard? Why should a manufacturer just keep the same design in production forever?

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelD View Post
    Why should a manufacturer just keep the same design in production forever?
    Is the Winchester 94 still in production?

Colt and Springfield Armory still make 1911s that are pretty close to what was made 50 or 75 years ago. I think Kahr / AO still makes a basic GI 1911. Look at all the Turkish guns on the market now. In fact Tisas has announced this year that it is changing some parts to more closely match GI guns. It is even changing the font to make the guns look more authentic.

H&R and Brownell’s are making retro M16 parts and even complete rifles.

We can also add the BHP copies. FN's lack of production has spawned the clone market. The SA-35 is pretty basic and old school. EAA has some plain Jane models and SDS is now going to start selling BHP copies under the Inglis label.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelD View Post
    To those who object to the new High Power...

I'm guessing you think that Porsche should have just kept the 911 air-cooled, too, then? Maybe even just left it on its original platform? Granted, different types of products, but still.

I'm in favor of revising, and even completely redesigning, products to add improvements to them. Why should guns be any different from other products in this regard? Why should a manufacturer just keep the same design in production forever?
    No offense, but that's a pretty underwhelming analogy lol.

There's no EPA driving technology changes in the firearm world like there is for IC engines. Nobody's chasing an increase in RPM, torque, ground handling, fuel efficiency, etc. Handguns are just an entirely different animal than a sports car. I get what you're saying, but the idea doesn't quite bridge the two realms.

Yes, there can be advancements to designs (MANY advancements, in some cases), but some things just got most of the formula right the first time. In the case of the BHP, I think a flared or beveled magwell is one, a SLIGHT beavertail extension is another, as are a better safety detent, mag safety removal, and better grips or checkering/stippling. But those are all things that can be added to the base BHP design that didn't require a total redesign like FN did. People loved the original BHP, and for good reason. All FN had to do with implement some of the above changes to the gun as it already was and they would have been amazing. Grisan's doing a lot of that and I think their version looks amazing (other than that overly long beavertail lol). FN kinda jumped the shark when all they had to do was look at the changes most people do as custom work and make them factory options. Boom, instant seller.

I'd buy an FN right now if it was a MKIII with Novaks (or a factory option for a proper optic cut), checkering, extended thumb safety w/ better detent, no mag safety, a modest beavertail with Commander hammer, and a Garthwaite-style straight trigger. I could find someone to do a decent action job on it myself and I'd have a perfect BHP, no redesign needed. I'm not saying the new model is BAD per se, just that it was unnecessary in my opinion. I'd like to try one at some point (I've still never seen one in person), but to my eye it's a BHP in name only.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post

To my eye the really long beavertail is more esthetically negative than the rail. I think this pistol would look much cleaner and more in keeping with the Hi Power's lines if Girsan had used something much shorter. Maybe just a mild extension without the upsweep at the end. Or use the upsweep but shorten it up and then machine it flat across the back like Staccato does with the 2011 grip safety.
    I don't think the beavertail would look so weird if the guns were photographed with the hammers cocked. For any gun (1911 included) designed to be carried C&L, why practically all the marketing photos show the hammer down is beyond me.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

The classic version has a lot of nostalgia appeal going for it. It's also a surprisingly svelte gun, and smaller than it looks.

What's the appeal of the new, bigger version? Who's this supposed to be for, anyway?
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post

What's the appeal of the new, bigger version? Who's this supposed to be for, anyway?
    That's my question.

The new gun may have some market in competition but would no doubt be more popular if it could be used in one of the optics divisions. The shooter could simply leave the cover plate on if he wanted to shoot in a production or stock division.

No light attachment (and again no optic) limit it for a modern service pistol.

Hobbyists and collectors are going to want the real deal and not this relaunch.

That leaves?

With all this said, I'd buy one for the right price. If I found a lightly used gun for $750 or so I'd give it a try. If I liked it I would maybe have MK3 do the Sebastian Gorka treatment.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    The rail, if done right, doesn't have to look bad. I don't think the rail on the EAA/Girsan gun looks necessarily odd or out of place.

Point taken. It does look like it belongs on this one. But I feel like at some point it stops being a BHP clone and becomes something else, almost like a Bren 10.

Name:  Bren 10.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  26.9 KB

I may just be too old for all of this.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    The classic version has a lot of nostalgia appeal going for it. It's also a surprisingly svelte gun, and smaller than it looks.

Handling it, the new gun doesn't feel as big as it looks in pictures. It's actually a pretty nice pistol, but your questions are valid.

User Tag List