Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What FN should have done with the new High Power?

What FN should have done with the new High Power?

Maybe not the camo paint or the ports but certainly some type of red dot mount and also an accessory rail. Some have said they don't care about these features and that not every pistol needs to be "tacticool." That's fine and I don't necessarily disagree. But I think the gun would ultimately prove to be more popular as sort of an alternative to a Staccato 2011 instead of some sort of reimagined classic.

Site Supporter
    I examined one of the new High Powers at a LGS recently. It did not feel like its 40oz in the hand and I was impressed by the trigger. I mean the trigger was super nice. They should at least offer an alternative to plain black sights, even though the sights are seemingly of good quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    I examined one of the new High Powers at a LGS recently. It did not feel like its 40oz in the hand and I was impressed by the trigger. I mean the trigger was super nice. They should at least offer an alternative to plain black sights, even though the sights are seemingly of good quality.
    It has been awhile ago but I got to handle one of these. The gun looks big, blocky and bulky in photos but feels fairly small and lively in hand.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

They should have never made the "new" Hi Power and instead have put a beavertail on the MKIII, along with decent combat sights, dehorned it, removed the magazine safety, and fitted an extended well detented thumb safety.

And left everything else alone.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    They should have never made the "new" Hi Power and instead have put a beavertail on the MKIII, along with decent combat sights, dehorned it, removed the magazine safety, and fitted an extended well detented thumb safety.

And left everything else alone.
    That would have been probably the best option. Or even just leave the MK3 alone and leave it in production

Vending Machine Operator
    I kinda like the new FN High Power, I just wish it wasn't quite so expensive. When I'm dropping $1200 on a gun it brings me into the neighborhood of a LOT of good options including some of the nicest Sigs and Berettas and a lot of solid mid-tier 1911s. Takes more to separate me from my money north of 1K, and there's not enough on offer there to do it.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

[QUOTE=Tokarev;1548432]Maybe not the camo paint or the ports but certainly some type of red dot mount and also an accessory rail. Some have said they don't care about these features and that not every pistol needs to be "tacticool." That's fine and I don't necessarily disagree. But I think the gun would ultimately prove to be more popular as sort of an alternative to a Staccato 2011 instead of some sort of reimagined classic.

This right here speaks to my interests. Something more interesting than a plastic fantastic, yet still usable.
    If you're not going to learn to use the front sight properly, don't bother with it. If pointing the gun, screaming "Ahhhhh!" and cranking on the trigger is all you can learn to do, work on doing that safely. -ToddG

Quote Originally Posted by 60167 View Post

This right here speaks to my interests. Something more interesting than a plastic fantastic, yet still usable.
    Especially if the price stayed in the $1200 ballpark.

Site Supporter
    My impression, without carefully looking into it, is that Springfield tried to integrate the most custom modifications to the MK1/II/III guns into their new production. I think that was a good plan. Regarding red dots, I much prefer having an intact slide that I can mill for whatever direct mount I want instead of the various optics-ready configurations.

Quote Originally Posted by pangloss View Post
    My impression, without carefully looking into it, is that Springfield tried to integrate the most custom modifications to the MK1/II/III guns into their new production. I think that was a good plan. Regarding red dots, I much prefer having an intact slide that I can mill for whatever direct mount I want instead of the various optics-ready configurations.
    Sort of. The SA-35 is really pretty standard Hi Power with the exception of a bigger thumb safety. They did delete the mag disconnector and use a "no bite" hammer but they didn't really modify the frame and slide from the FN pattern.

The most modern HP currently would seem to be the various Girsan offerings.

User Tag List