Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What FN should have done with the new High Power?

I regret that I never got Garthwaite to build me a railed Hipower. He was using the Dawson rail and adapter for the X300

Name:  _DSC4763-gallery.jpg
Views: 364
Size:  79.0 KB

Otherwise, the HP needs sights, a thumb safety, and a no bite hammer, not necessarily a beavertail

Quote Originally Posted by pangloss View Post
    My impression, without carefully looking into it, is that Springfield tried to integrate the most custom modifications to the MK1/II/III guns into their new production. I think that was a good plan. Regarding red dots, I much prefer having an intact slide that I can mill for whatever direct mount I want instead of the various optics-ready configurations.
    Then again, a lot of people don't want the fuss & bother of sending off their brand-new $1200 gun for another $300's worth of custom work and a couple months of wait time.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Sort of. The SA-35 is really pretty standard Hi Power with the exception of a bigger thumb safety. They did delete the mag disconnector and use a "no bite" hammer but they didn't really modify the frame and slide from the FN pattern.

The most modern HP currently would seem to be the various Girsan offerings.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk
    I haven't followed the Girsans, but I'll take a look at them.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    Then again, a lot of people don't want the fuss & bother of sending off their brand-new $1200 gun for another $300's worth of custom work and a couple months of wait time.
    Sure. I get it, but is it really that much extra effort to offer both? For example, if Glock make a non-MOS 34.5 I probably would have bought one by now. Why not offer both?

Rail and optics cut and call it the 2035.

It may be an improvement on the old High Power but right now it doesn't appeal to either the people who want a classic BHP or a modernized BHP.

I have no proof, and am not privy to any discussions at FN, but I strongly suspect that the relatively bulky frame is to set the stage for a future polymer frame variant.

And for those that feel the need for a rail on a High Power, BH Spring Solutions does have one available... https://bhspringsolutions.com/index....-rail-by-rdih/

Best, Jon
    Sponsored by Check-Mate Industries and BH Spring Solutions
    Certified Glock Armorer

Quote Originally Posted by pangloss View Post
    Sure. I get it, but is it really that much extra effort to offer both? For example, if Glock make a non-MOS 34.5 I probably would have bought one by now. Why not offer both?
    As the meme goes, "both is good".
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    They should have never made the "new" Hi Power and instead have put a beavertail on the MKIII, along with decent combat sights, dehorned it, removed the magazine safety, and fitted an extended well detented thumb safety.

And left everything else alone.
    This.

Hanging a rail on a BHP is like putting a Type B Oberndorf sporter in a chassis.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    This.

Hanging a rail on a BHP is like putting a Type B Oberndorf sporter in a chassis.

Okie John
    The rail, if done right, doesn't have to look bad. I don't think the rail on the EAA/Girsan gun looks necessarily odd or out of place.

To my eye the really long beavertail is more esthetically negative than the rail. I think this pistol would look much cleaner and more in keeping with the Hi Power's lines if Girsan had used something much shorter. Maybe just a mild extension without the upsweep at the end. Or use the upsweep but shorten it up and then machine it flat across the back like Staccato does with the 2011 grip safety.

I'm actually somewhat surprised that Springfield isn't making a more "tacticool" version of the SA-35. They could easily enough do an SA-35 Operator. I think it would sell okay.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Tokarev; 01-27-2024 at 09:02 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    The rail, if done right, doesn't have to look bad.
    Bah!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    They should have never made the "new" Hi Power and instead have put a beavertail on the MKIII, along with decent combat sights, dehorned it, removed the magazine safety, and fitted an extended well detented thumb safety.

And left everything else alone.
    Exactly.

If they wanted to have different models then whatever, but Rob’s statement should be the standard model of the Hi-Power and everything else should be an addition.

Maybe Jon is correct in his musings and they will bring out a polymer version.

User Tag List