Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: I hope Glock is paying attention

Glock 45, 47, 49 hint at modularity with different slide/frame combinations, but only if you buy complete pistols and swap around. If Glock would just sell OEM slides they'd be relevant!

I love Glocks and they may always be my primary SD pistol. I’m just in that “ecosystem” and they work perfectly for me so I don’t need innovation from them.

BUT, yeah… they are sitting on their thumbs just like the big pistol companies were when Glock blind sided them in the 80’s. The SIG P365 modular system is just ridiculously brilliant. And the fact that Glock came up with a sub par MOS, optic system is lame too. Lastly, why on earth did it take them way too many years to offer single stack designs. Then when they did they sold like iPhones.

Their market approach is definitely a head scratcher.
    Aaron D.
    EvoSec
    Evolution Security Podcast

While they may not be considered innovations, with the Gen 5 pistols, Glock did three new things -- improved the trigger, introduced the breech face cut that throws the brass out a country mile, and went to the Marksman barrel which delivers excellent accuracy for a service pistol.

Glock has a brand and massive number of pistols in circulation to support and I want them to be careful with what they introduce (Gen 1 performance trigger) and make sure it coexists with legacy Glock pistols. Do you need, for example, a chassis design when the 19/46/47/49 all mix and match? I would like to see integral back straps that change the angle and size of the grip.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by rawkguitarist View Post
    I love Glocks and they may always be my primary SD pistol. I’m just in that “ecosystem” and they work perfectly for me so I don’t need innovation from them.

BUT, yeah… they are sitting on their thumbs just like the big pistol companies were when Glock blind sided them in the 80’s. The SIG P365 modular system is just ridiculously brilliant. And the fact that Glock came up with a sub par MOS, optic system is lame too. Lastly, why on earth did it take them way too many years to offer single stack designs. Then when they did they sold like iPhones.

Their market approach is definitely a head scratcher.
    How would you change the MOS system?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    What "innovation" is there left to do with a basic semi-auto handgun?
    Non-reciprocating optic mounting at a mass market price.

Lastly, why on earth did it take them way too many years to offer single stack designs. Then when they did they sold like iPhones.
    Who was asking for that, though? As it has been noted elsewhere, Glock tends to focus primarily on institutional sales, not individual commercial sales. I would be curious to see the breakdown of revenue between institutional contract sales and individual commercial sales.

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    Who was asking for that, though? As it has been noted elsewhere, Glock tends to focus primarily on institutional sales, not individual commercial sales. I would be curious to see the breakdown of revenue between institutional contract sales and individual commercial sales.
    Institutional sales aside, IIRC the interwebs clamored for a "single stack G19" for years. Glock was definitely late to the game with the 43x/48 models - but they hooked me with that nonetheless...

RE: GJM's comment - yeah, interchangeable backstraps would be a wonderful and welcome option (which would allow them to sidestep a wholesale switch from the current grip angle Perfection. You know, the whole Glock Perfection thing, I think, really gives some insight into why Glock is so slow to move forward. I mean, how can you improve on Perfection? (What a horrible mindset for a company or individual.) That being said, Glock is in the business of making money, not firearms, and they have made boatloads of money so I can understand why they would not fool with innovating hard.
    All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.
    No one is coming. It is up to us.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    How would you change the MOS system?
    Not require an aftermarket plate to get a solid thread engagement.
    Aaron D.
    EvoSec

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    Non-reciprocating optic mounting at a mass market price.

Well, the commercial market that bought a crap ton of 42, 43, 43x, and 48’s. It would be nice to know the breakdown.
    Aaron D.
    EvoSec

Glocks target audience is a two-tiered affair: law enforcement and buyers who don't obsess over widgets in PF fashion, they just need a reliable gun for as little money as possible. Much of the second tier overlaps into the first. The company sells every gun it makes. The profit margin is so high they can literally give them away for free by the dozens. Every time another company attempts to dethrone them, it shits the bed in dramatic fashion. They're coasting because they can. If you think otherwise, you're not thinking big picture.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by Tensaw View Post
    Institutional sales aside, IIRC the interwebs clamored for a "single stack G19" for years. Glock was definitely late to the game with the 43x/48 models - but they hooked me with that nonetheless...
    Well, the commercial market that bought a crap ton of 42, 43, 43x, and 48’s. It would be nice to know the breakdown.
    Well, yes, I'm aware there was individuals clamoring for it. My point was that institutions did not seem to be, and that Glock has typically been seen as servicing the institutional markets rather than commercial market, like with H&K, and so it isn't all that surprising at all to me how long they took to create a single stack.

User Tag List