Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Surplus Remington 870 Police Magnum

Using snap caps/dummies, I noticed sometimes if I load one in the chamber and rack the pump back without a lot of force, the "shell" in the mag tube doesn't pop out onto the loading gate. Is this something to do with worn shell stops, or something normal if you don't rack it with good force to it? @TCinVA

Ideally it will feed shells if you just baby the action open - that is one of the armorer function checks.

Is this occurring with all rounds or just the last one in the mag tube - could be a weak spring. Also check to make sure the mag tube is clean and that the plastic follower hasn't been 'munged' up by solvent and is dragging on the mag tube. This is one of the reasons I prefer aluminum followers.

As others have mentioned, most police shotguns are carried a lot, shot little. Under those conditions it is easy for crud to build up. Use gun scrubber/solvent and a tooth brush to make sure the shell latches can move in and out freely. Check and make sure they move in and out under thumb or finger pressure.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

Quote Originally Posted by DDTSGM View Post
    Ideally it will feed shells if you just baby the action open - that is one of the armorer function checks.

Is this occurring with all rounds or just the last one in the mag tube - could be a weak spring. Also check to make sure the mag tube is clean and that the plastic follower hasn't been 'munged' up by solvent and is dragging on the mag tube. This is one of the reasons I prefer aluminum followers.

As others have mentioned, most police shotguns are carried a lot, shot little. Under those conditions it is easy for crud to build up. Use gun scrubber/solvent and a tooth brush to make sure the shell latches can move in and out freely. Check and make sure they move in and out under thumb or finger pressure.
    I only have two dummy shells. It happens sometimes, but not all the time, if I baby the action open. I did try it with some live shells and the tube fully loaded. I baby cycled it through the whole tubes worth and it didn’t happen. I can try more tomorrow. I was planning on going to the outdoor range to shoot it but it looks like it will be raining.

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by DDTSGM View Post
    Is this occurring with all rounds or just the last one in the mag tube - could be a weak spring. Also check to make sure the mag tube is clean and that the plastic follower hasn't been 'munged' up by solvent and is dragging on the mag tube. This is one of the reasons I prefer aluminum followers..
    The spring probably needs replacing if only for piece of mind. Like my mom would say: "You don't know where that thing has been!" Or what it has been doing.

And yes, clean the mag tube and related guts. The things tend to be congealed lube and crud magnets even just sitting in a safe within a controlled environment. One of my old cronies who was retired LEO used to mutter about how he could "white-glove" an 870 and put it away, only to find gunk magically appearing on the innards despite the gun not having been used in the interim.

Being sort of paranoid about galvanic/EMF/dissimilar metal issues, I prefer the safety green S&J Hardware Type 3 machined delrin followers because they are pretty much immune to gun oils and most solvents, and they have a natural lubricity to them. YMMV. There are lots of aftermarket followers that will work, some with really funny claims to superiority... like "bling" for an 870, but nobody can see it. I do not care for the common, long-tailed, lime green Wilson/Scattergun molded plastic followers, having had them distort over time.

(The really old stamped sheet metal followers could be bad actors if moisture got in between the follower and the magazine tube; most younger shooters are unlikely to have had a follower corroded snugly in an 870.)
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SwampDweller View Post
    Using snap caps/dummies, I noticed sometimes if I load one in the chamber and rack the pump back without a lot of force, the "shell" in the mag tube doesn't pop out onto the loading gate. Is this something to do with worn shell stops, or something normal if you don't rack it with good force to it? @TCinVA
    If it was a police gun, it lived in a cruiser where the magazine spring was beaten constantly by the shells in the magazine as the vehicle moved. And it's not that great of a spring in the first place, so you should replace it as I can just about guarantee that it's worn out.

The shell stops get beat up, too. They are two pieces of spring steel staked into the receiver and they could also need to be addressed. But the magazine spring is the first thing to look at.

If you're sending the gun off to Wilson or CB, make a point to tell them to inspect the shell stops to see if they need replacement.
    3/15/2016

I would replace the shell stops regardless. I had a bad one that would double feed at random intervals and it drove me nuts for years (even after the WC Remington Steal). Finally bought new shell stops from Brownelles and replaced them myself. Note that they don't need to be staked to work properly, staking just makes reassembly easier. I ran the sh!t out of it with the new shell stops and have not had that problem since. WC can replace them and re-stake them. New mag tube spring too.

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    If it was a police gun, it lived in a cruiser where the magazine spring was beaten constantly by the shells in the magazine as the vehicle moved. And it's not that great of a spring in the first place, so you should replace it as I can just about guarantee that it's worn out.

The shell stops get beat up, too. They are two pieces of spring steel staked into the receiver and they could also need to be addressed. But the magazine spring is the first thing to look at.

If you're sending the gun off to Wilson or CB, make a point to tell them to inspect the shell stops to see if they need replacement.
    Roger that, I'll ask them to inspect the shell stops, and I'll either change the mag spring myself or ask them to if I don't do it first.

Site Supporter
    The serial on the receiver is B619776M. Could that help pin it down?
    According to this, "B" serial number prefix would indicate production date between '94 and '97, so the '97 barrel code sounds right...

https://www.leeroysramblings.com/Gun...date_code.html

User Tag List