Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Surplus Remington 870 Police Magnum

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by SwampDweller View Post
    I agree, I'd take this and a Steal package over a new 870 any day. Cotton Branch Custom isn't taking new work right now (though they referred me to RoseActionSports, who I'm waiting to hear a reply from on turnaround time and price). I'm waiting to hear from Wilson on turnaround time on the Steal Package with Armor Tuff finish (Item Code "SREBUILDA") which is $385. For just the parkerized version it's $230, but for the excellent Armor Tuff finish I don't mind paying another $155.
    Everything "870" that I have had Rose Action Sports do for me was done very competently. I never had anything refinished there, so I don't know what Steve offers in that regard.

My sole remaining 870P is from the era of Remington's "troubles," but by the time I got everything hashed out it was every bit as functional and reliable as the old ones. It took time and some patience to get there, but looking back, that was when I had plenty of both to spend on such a project.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Quote Originally Posted by gato naranja View Post
    Everything "870" that I have had Rose Action Sports do for me was done very competently. I never had anything refinished there, so I don't know what Steve offers in that regard.

My sole remaining 870P is from the era of Remington's "troubles," but by the time I got everything hashed out it was every bit as functional and reliable as the old ones. It took time and some patience to get there, but looking back, that was when I had plenty of both to spend on such a project.
    Good to hear from someone who has personal experience with RAS. I hope to hear from them soon. I did ask if they do offer refinishing as well as general refurbishment/replacement of anything needed to keep it functioning for a long, long time.

Out of curiosity, when was this troubles-era 870P made?

Good to hear from someone who has personal experience with RAS. I hope to hear from them soon. I did ask if they do offer refinishing as well as general refurbishment/replacement of anything needed to keep it functioning for a long, long time.

Out of curiosity, when was this troubles-era 870P made?
    The paperwork is in a bank lockbox, but I know it was sometime around 2010. We had a really disappointing 870 Marine Magnum made in the 1990's when they were supposedly still squared away, so, like everything else, from any era you can find ones made on good days and ones made on bad days.
    gn

That said, I'm not going to wait until after that to shoot it. I'm going to take it out tomorrow and see how she runs. As far as I can tell, it seems to be in working mechanical condition. Other than finish wear I'm not seeing anything that jumps out. In fact, I don't even see any rust after a brief scrubbing with CLP. It seems like it was well-maintained (at least mechanically) by whatever LE was using it.
    From my experience LEO shotguns are rarely fired and then it’s only a relatively low round count. When I integrated a plate rack, Pepper Poppers and man on man into our shotgun program guys (and gals) quit grumbling and started enjoying. Your new gun probably got carried around in a cruiser a lot and fired very little.

Just a one off experience, I has RAS cut down a 28” VR M870 barrel to 21”, re-thread it for Rem Chokes and install a new bead. Relatively simple job unless you eF it up. They got it back to me quickly and nicely done, plus the price was quite reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by Elwin View Post
    Interested to see what you hear back from Wilson - I have an 870 that I want to send in for the Remington Steal package, if only to get the Flex Tab cut done.
    Wilson said 3-4 months in the shop. I’m waiting to hear what RAS says.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick R View Post
    Just a one off experience, I has RAS cut down a 28” VR M870 barrel to 21”, re-thread it for Rem Chokes and install a new bead. Relatively simple job unless you eF it up. They got it back to me quickly and nicely done, plus the price was quite reasonable.
    It is sad how many people can eF up threading for chokes.

I was happy with RAS' barrel threading, chamber polishing and forcing cone lengthening.
    gn

Wilson said 3-4 months in the shop. I’m waiting to hear what RAS says.
    Well, the price is a steal, and when you consider the rule of "fast, cheap, good: pick two," maybe a long-ish wait isn't the worst thing.

I would shoot it and see how it does. If no issues, I would not bother refinishing it. Just keep the metal lubed and it will be fine. I have a similar 870 that has even more finish wear. In the decade I have owned it and used it in humid Alabama and Florida, there have been no issues with rust. I just wipe it down with G96 after cleaning or every month or so if it has not been shot. The older 870 guns did not have the "rust just by looking at it" finish applied to the later guns, especially Express models.

If there are issues, a Wilson Combat "Remington Steal" is a good way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Elwin View Post
    Well, the price is a steal, and when you consider the rule of "fast, cheap, good: pick two," maybe a long-ish wait isn't the worst thing.
    Yeah, and it looks like they're the only game in town. I called RAS today and they don't do refinishing. As far as working on them, they do if there's something wrong, but not a general refurbishment/inspection. So Wilson it is. I'm not in a rush, so I'll probably be sending it off at some point soon (though I'm going to shoot the shotgun tomorrow).

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    I would shoot it and see how it does. If no issues, I would not bother refinishing it. Just keep the metal lubed and it will be fine. I have a similar 870 that has even more finish wear. In the decade I have owned it and used it in humid Alabama and Florida, there have been no issues with rust. I just wipe it down with G96 after cleaning or every month or so if it has not been shot. The older 870 guns did not have the "rust just by looking at it" finish applied to the later guns, especially Express models.

If there are issues, a Wilson Combat "Remington Steal" is a good way to go.
    I highly doubt it actually needs anything done to it. I'm going to shoot it tomorrow to confirm. Sending it off for refinishing and refreshment is more for my own peace of mind than a necessary thing. I have a VangComp 590A1 coming and other guns to occupy me while I wait on this 870 work, and I think it'd be cool to have an older rock solid 870PM in brand new condition with a great finish that is ready to rock. I don't think it's necessary, but I just want to do it.

User Tag List