Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hunting in New Mexico

Hunting in New Mexico

I'm 32, about to be 33 and besides sitting in a tree stand as a kid and never shooting a deer I have zero hunting experience. I live in New Mexico so I have a wide variety of options when it comes to hunting but truthfully I have zero idea where to go, how to start, or basically anything that I don't know. While I plan on starting in New Mexico I really do want this to become a way that I harvest food for my family and a way for me to break away from the day in and day out of modern life.

I am looking for any info on hunting, on hunting in NM, tips/tricks, and whatever else you can think of. I'm working on gear now, I have a nightforce 2.5-20 I am gonna use for this project and think I've settled on a 270 as the caliber I would to start with.

Maybe you could talk your local Safari Club and ask for a list of respected guides. Hire one of those to teach you to be a good hunter / outdoorsman. Maybe a different guide every time you hunt, but always with the teaching element paramount.

Alternatively, offer to assist your chosen guide as a aide during the season. Tell him you're new and don't expect payment, but in exchange he'll have to teach you what he wants you to know.

Exciting times ahead.

Duces
    A peaceful man is capable of great violence, but he keeps it under control. If a man is not capable of violence, he is not peaceful. He is just harmless. (Jordan Peterson)

I'd start with https://www.wildlife.state.nm.us/ Learn about buying licenses, draws, etc. from the horse's mouth.

You can take a state-specific approach at https://www.hunttalk.com/forums/new-mexico.463/ although I'd broaden it to cover the entire mountain West. The one I've found for Washington has yielded insane amounts of specific, high-value information and good contacts. These guys will know about any oddities in New Mexico law and game regs, and can advise you on how to have a safe, legal, and successful hunt.

There's good general information on gear, guns, techniques, etc., at https://www.24hourcampfire.com.

You an also take a discipline-specific approach on forums like https://www.longrangehunting.com/

All of those forums have (mostly) good information, but they'll really make you appreciate the quality of discourse around here.

Hunting sites like https://www.themeateater.com/ offer insights but you have to read between the lines to really understand what they're talking about.

I rely on websites for guide services like https://www.arizonahunting.net/listofitems.htm This page is full of insight about hunting Arizona, but most of that advice probably works pretty well in New Mexico.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Some very good info already.

I would suggest doing some small game hunting in areas that may be of interest for larger game. It will do several things, one, it gets you out in the hills, when looking for bunnies or squirrels you will start seeing deer and whatever, as well as getting boots on the ground looking at tracks and sign, it also helps reprogram your brain to tune into looking for specific things, like whatever animals you are looking for, but also whatever else is around.

If you can do any overnighter camping trips it will give you some good time on the ground watching and seeing animals also. One morning I woke up near Flagstaff and saw deer, antelope, elk, coyote, jack and cottontail rabbits, squirrels, an eagle, a red tail hawk, and some other smaller stuff I now forget. It was the most variety of animals Id ever seen in a short time span and in one place. This was just from being at my truck, I slept on top of the camper shell and was waking up and just looking around at first light to sunup. When you see animals think about where they are coming from and where they are going, if you go the same places see if the pattern repeats. Same for tracks, and if it snows it can give you a lot of info, just scouting.

In Az much of the animal activity was around water sources, both natural and man made like stock tanks/ponds or trick tanks. Scouting around them looking for tracks, or sitting back a ways watching them for activity can yield some interesting results.

I used to keep paper Forest Service maps, with todays mapping apps in phones you can probably dispense with the paper maps, but they still held some good info when studied, both land contour and vegetation as well as water sources, roads and trails, wilderness boundaries, private lands, reservation lands.

Just out driving around some early in the morning and evening can give some pretty good info.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Consider a hunter education course: https://www.wildlife.state.nm.us/edu...ter-education/

My experience is mostly bow hunting white tail deer and shotgun hunting turkeys. You live in a really good elk state and I think mule deer are an option as well but IÂ’ve never looked at traveling that far west to hunt.

What type of terrain are you looking to hunt? When youÂ’re getting gear I would prioritize a good set of binos, maybe a spotting scope depending on your situation, boots, and gear to keep you comfortable. Wind resistance is at least as important as warmth, as well as staying dry. Wool base layers really help, and you can save some money buying non-name brand stuff on Amazon. Same with your socks.

For binos vortex diamondbacks have done well for me. I got a diamond back spotting scope that topped out at 48x and it sucked, so donÂ’t do that.

If your situation calls for a tree stand I strongly prefer tree saddles to stands, but you can gun hunt from the ground much easier than bow hunting. If you want a stand I can make some recommendations there, and also for safety harnesses. I strongly prefer a rock climbing harness and I think theyÂ’re safer than the full body harnesses because of the ability to self rescue.

Knives are another thing. If you hate sharpening look at Havalon or Outdoor edge. Havalon is sharper and easier to clean, outdoor edge has an easier blade swap and is a little more sturdy. Otherwise youÂ’ll want a sharpening system - work sharp is what I use and they have a good one you can take out in the field. Mora knives are a great value and come super sharp. Buck Pursuit Pro knives are great and even their 420HC stuff is pretty good.

My personal field dressing kit is a havalon and a leatherman. The leatherman has a saw and pliers to change the blades.

For boots that is an area I would spend a little more. I use gumleaf rubber boots. They cost more but they last WAY longer than other boots and theyÂ’re just made better. Hikers I have less experience with.

One other thing to consider is if you want this to get away from things, bow hunting gives you longer seasons. If you decide you want to try that shoot me a PM. Bow hunting has grabbed my soul and itÂ’s something I spend more time on now than shooting or BJJ, which 5 years ago would have shocked me.

The last thing IÂ’ll say is be careful buying too much gear. Other than being able to see, and being comfortable you donÂ’t need a ton probably. I carry WAY less stuff with me into the field now than I used to, and I get more animals because IÂ’m able to go further and into other places people are less willing to go.

Start looking for public land unless you want to pay a guide or hunt private land. You can figure this out on your own but you have to spend some time researching it then some time on the ground. Lots of scouting involved in the off season. Start camping and hiking in some of the areas that you think are promising. Some game and fish departments report harvested animals in their game units. That's the information you need up front.

https://www.wildlife.state.nm.us/dow...est-Report.pdf

https://www.blm.gov/maps/frequently-...o/hunting-maps
    Last edited by Borderland; 01-24-2024 at 06:02 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Skalkaho View Post
    Consider a hunter education course: https://www.wildlife.state.nm.us/edu...ter-education/
    Definitely this.

In a lot of states, that's non-negotiable unless you've done the course in another state. If you need it, sign up NOW. Courses get booked heavily in the next month or so because kids need to take them when they're out of school. If you wait much longer, then you may not get in.

I've seen a lot of sad teenagers whose parents put it off until April and then couldn't find a slot.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    Definitely this.

In a lot of states, that's non-negotiable unless you've done the course in another state. If you need it, sign up NOW. Courses get booked heavily in the next month or so because kids need to take them when they're out of school. If you wait much longer, then you may not get in.

I've seen a lot of sad teenagers whose parents put it off until April and then couldn't find a slot.

Okie John
    I have done a hunter safety course and have a lifetime small game license in nm because of my military service and VA rating. I hunted as a teen with my step father but we were not very successful and it's been 15 years since I've gone to deer camp. I know a couple of parents of students I've taught that are big hunters. So I think I'll reach out to them and see if I can go out with them so I have some guidance.

I appreciate all the websites! I am going to research all the regulations/laws. I am very much a hands on learner so hopefully I can find a mentor who is willing to take me under their wing lol
    Last edited by breakingtime91; 01-24-2024 at 06:47 PM.

Pick the game animal your after. Look up the laws in your area.

Then, go down the rabbit hole. Learn everything you can about them. Size, weight, gender differences, markings, glands, anatomy, behavior, habitat, breeding season, breeding behavior, calls, what calls mean, history (whats the biggest record in your area? When?) Population size, density, diet, disease... you can't know enough.

When I started hunting turkeys as a kid I ignored knowing the bird because I knew the patch of woods really well. I thought normally seeing them certain places in the off season meant they would be there in season. And that was dumb. Learning more about the game animal makes the hunt more fun, more exciting, and helps you put yourself in a better position.

After you feel comfortable knowing some (not all. We ain't biologists and its imlossible to rememver it all.) Watch some hunting videos of folks after your game animal and see how the game acts and what the hunter did or how they planned.

Use OnX to help plan your area.

Go have fun in the cacophony of peace and quiet.

User Tag List