Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hunting in New Mexico

Site Supporter
    Lots of good info already. I’d like to add that you should look into the NM Dept of Game and Fish programs. They’ve supported disabled vets with special hunts last year.

https://www.wildlife.state.nm.us/spe...ening-june-14/

https://www.wildlife.state.nm.us/dow...s-Licenses.pdf

I’m down in Florida and the Florida Forest Service has Operation Outdoor Freedom, which provides hunts for disabled veterans/Purple Heart recipients. I recommend all veterans look into the hunting opportunities and programs within their states.

I’m sure you’ll get linked up soon with some hunters in your area. Happy Hunting!
    Last edited by CakeEater; 01-24-2024 at 07:58 PM.

Scouting can be (almost) as much fun as hunting. You mostly have the area to yourself, you can observe game while they aren't pressured, and get some exercise.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Scouting can be (almost) as much fun as hunting. You mostly have the area to yourself, you can observe game while they aren't pressured, and get some exercise.

Yes, it can. The term "Quality time outdoors" fits this.

I often combined scouting with dog walking. When I walked daily behind the place I lived in the 90s. I saw deer pretty much daily just by being out every day. I drove part time during the beet harvest for a guy, I told him I needed some time off to hunt a deer, he asked if I needed a few days, I said no, I think I can be in after lunch. I was.

In Az a guy and his wife were visiting, they showed up at church. He was very interested in hunting bears, the only thing with tags available over the counter to non-residents. I got the Forest Service map I had, showed him some stock tanks (man made ponds) where id seen bear tracks and werent hard to get to, he got his tag and spent some time out looking. When I saw him again he said he didnt get a bear, but had seen deer and turkeys, and had a huge amount of fun seeing the tracks and being out there, knowing they were around. He was older, had hunted deer in Michigan, and dreamed of hunting in the west, anywhere, however he was able, and took the opportunity when they were on a trip. For him it was a once in a lifetime opportunity, and he enjoyed it quite a lot. These bad habits of always snooping around watching animals and looking for tracks and sign pay off. It gets to be a habit.

The maps thing. When seeing animals not being hunted, then watching them and their tracks during season, I figured out their patterns when hunted and how they seemingly disappeared into thin air once the hunt started. I havent hunted elk there since then but have a pretty good idea where to be.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Site Supporter
    New Mexico is a mixed bag when it comes to hunting. All of the big stuff you would likely want to fill a freezer, i.e. Elk, Deer or Bear are draw only licenses or land owner permits. According to the game and fish website the draws close 2.14 for Bear and Turkey and 03.20 for other big game. The small game license is pretty good for learning the terrain and seasonal for a lot of species.

In NM, you put into draw a specific region with a specific type of hunt, meaning Bow, rifle, muzzleloader or pistol. Bow season is usually earlier than the firearm seasons. Last time I looked or researched, if you draw in a year, you are ineligible to draw the following year, even if you don’t harvest anything.

My next step would be to pick up Game Proclamations and start your research for the different regions that way.

All of that is based on the last time I drew in the state and I would be happy to be corrected by any other hunters that are more current than me. Hopefully UNM1136 will chime in with some info for you.
    Last edited by Archimagirus; 01-25-2024 at 01:53 AM.

There's a lot of good info on Rokslide. I mainly go there for backcountry tips and techniques but hunting is the focus.
    https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/...nities.265997/

OnX is a useful app for scouting locations.

Steven Rinellas books contain a lot of useful information for people getting into hunting without a strong family tradition of such. I wish I had them as a teenager.

You may want to consider looking at other states with more opportunity if you want to get your feet wet and see how you like it.

Yotes?

Have you considered predator hunting?

Lots of coyotes on public land in NM.

And, you don’t have to clean them and you don’t have to eat them.

George
    Gun Free Zones Aren’t an Inhibition….they’re an Invitation.

Quote Originally Posted by Archimagirus View Post
    New Mexico is a mixed bag when it comes to hunting. All of the big stuff you would likely want to fill a freezer, i.e. Elk, Deer or Bear are draw only licenses or land owner permits. According to the game and fish website the draws close 2.14 for Bear and Turkey and 03.20 for other big game. The small game license is pretty good for learning the terrain and seasonal for a lot of species.

In NM, you put into draw a specific region with a specific type of hunt, meaning Bow, rifle, muzzleloader or pistol. Bow season is usually earlier than the firearm seasons. Last time I looked or researched, if you draw in a year, you are ineligible to draw the following year, even if you don’t harvest anything.

My next step would be to pick up Game Proclamations and start your research for the different regions that way.

All of that is based on the last time I drew in the state and I would be happy to be corrected by any other hunters that are more current than me. Hopefully UNM1136 will chime in with some info for you.
    Dude if that’s the case for residents that sucks. As much as I care about hunting I would have to move if that was my situation. If you can’t at least buy an archery tag over the counter that blows.

Quote Originally Posted by walker2713 View Post
    Have you considered predator hunting?

Lots of coyotes on public land in NM.

And, you don’t have to clean them and you don’t have to eat them.

George
    That is on the menu. I also live 15 minutes from the Texas border. What is hunting like for non residents in Texas? What about for disabled veterans?

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    That is on the menu. I also live 15 minutes from the Texas border. What is hunting like for non residents in Texas? What about for disabled veterans?
    Generally, non resident hunting is available but with a license and tag price multiples higher than for residents.

My wife and I have hunted a lot on public land in Colorado, and harvested many deer and elk there. Your competitive advantage for hunting public land is your ability to hike. The further you can get from roads the less likely you are to run into others. Those you do encounter are generally squared away.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Generally, non resident hunting is available but with a license and tag price multiples higher than for residents.

My wife and I have hunted a lot on public land in Colorado, and harvested many deer and elk there. Your competitive advantage for hunting public land is your ability to hike. The further you can get from roads the less likely you are to run into others. Those you do encounter are generally squared away.
    Hiking I can do, thankfully. I appreciate the info, how I'd non resident in colorado?

User Tag List