Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 38 Special 130grn HST discontinued.

38 Special 130grn HST discontinued.

Just a fyi for anyone interested. I got an email from Midway that it was discontinued.

Jason

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    That may mean only that Midway has dropped the SKU, not that Fed stopped listing it.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    That may mean only that Midway has dropped the SKU, not that Fed stopped listing it.
    Last I looked at .38 loads on the Federal website, it was still there. But I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they dropped it. It was an odd enough round that most folks looked past it. Profile being poor for reloads from strips or speedloaders doesn't help it... Nor did reports of poor accuracy. I shot a small amount, and it patterned, rather than grouped. Terminal performance wasn't really up to par with other HST loads either.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I do recall Midway doing a "factory seconds" blowout of bullets that pretty much had to be that one. Could be another indicator that Federal didn't plan to load any more as early as last year.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by WDR View Post
    Last I looked at .38 loads on the Federal website, it was still there. But I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they dropped it. It was an odd enough round that most folks looked past it. Profile being poor for reloads from strips or speedloaders doesn't help it... Nor did reports of poor accuracy. I shot a small amount, and it patterned, rather than grouped. Terminal performance wasn't really up to par with other HST loads either.
    My testing of the HST didn’t result in anything to write home about. Groups were just OK, and POI was different in every gun I tried (mostly J frames). None of my guns were POA=POI.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

Over the years, I've been pretty pleased with Remington Golden Saber (or whatever name they're marketing it at a given moment) 125 gr .38 Special +P.

Best, Jon

Not a big surprise, it wasn't anything fabulous.

They really need to get over it and enlarge the 147-grain 9mm HsT a couple of thousandths, load it +P+, 950fps. It'll work. It'll suck to shoot, but it will work.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Not a big surprise, it wasn't anything fabulous.

They really need to get over it and enlarge the 147-grain 9mm HsT a couple of thousandths, load it +P+, 950fps. It'll work. It'll suck to shoot, but it will work.
    Maybe in a j frame. 158gr swc at 1k fps from a 4" gun is down right reasonable.

But I agree. Same with speer. A 147gr gold dot @ 1k fps would be nice

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    Over the years, I've been pretty pleased with Remington Golden Saber (or whatever name they're marketing it at a given moment) 125 gr .38 Special +P.

Best, Jon
    I still have a few hundred rounds of the Magnum version. It's a pretty accurate round and I've found that a 125 XTP at 1200fps shoots to the same poi so they're print near interchangeable.

Quote Originally Posted by WDR View Post
    I shot a small amount, and it patterned, rather than grouped.
    That was my experience too.

The .38 Special HST accuracy (to say nothing of precision) was hopeless in my "snubbies", both those of dedicated .38 Special sort and in .357 Magnum examples.

I really wanted to like it, but a round whose POI was so unpredictably and inconsistently different from POA was useless.
    I still have a couple boxes of it sitting on a shelf.
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

User Tag List