Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AIWB Curious

Site Supporter

AIWB Curious

Yeah, I know there's a 219-page thread on AIWB already. Please bear with me, I just don't want to go through it to get a relatively simple answer.

I'm going to give AIWB carry a try. I've signed up for a class on how to draw so I don't half-ass it on my own. I've got three holsters that should work for this: a JMCK AIWB for my 3" M10, a Harry's Icon for my J frames, and a holster from a maker I've forgotten for my P99Cs.

My question is, is one of those gun/holster combinations better than the others to start this out? I'm leaning toward the JMCK/M10 combo but could be persuaded.
    "Everything in life is really simple, provided you don’t know a f—–g thing about it." - Kevin D. Williamson

Site Supporter
    For myself I have found a lot of guns work fine, but the one thing that finally made AIWB work was a thinner belt. For regular belt carry or IWB I prefer a thick reinforced leather belt. I found it made AIWB uncomfortable. I bought a mastermind tactics belt and suddenly AIWB worked great. I have carried anything from a GP-100 to a Staccato P with no issues. I prefer the tenicor holsters, but they aren't made for as many guns. JMCK is my second pick. I also recommend a junk pillow as I liked the wedge but they could get uncomfortable after a long day. The junk pillow was always comfy.

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    Yeah, I know there's a 219-page thread on AIWB already. Please bear with me, I just don't want to go through it to get a relatively simple answer.

I'm going to give AIWB carry a try. I've signed up for a class on how to draw so I don't half-ass it on my own. I've got three holsters that should work for this: a JMCK AIWB for my 3" M10, a Harry's Icon for my J frames, and a holster from a maker I've forgotten for my P99Cs.

My question is, is one of those gun/holster combinations better than the others to start this out? I'm leaning toward the JMCK/M10 combo but could be persuaded.
    Just IMHO, a revolver may be a better candidate for "beginner" AIWB... Reason I say a revolver might be better, is they are generally more rounded and "comfortable" to start out with. "Easing" into the type of carry so to speak. Also a bit safer, trigger wise. Exception: guns with a hammer spur need a holster that addresses the spur, otherwise they can be a bit pokey.

I'm unfamiliar of how the P99CS trigger/striker setup works, but I'd urge caution when holstering if there isn't any manual safety. I use a Gadget/SCD for the extra level of saftey on all my Glocks, which are my most carried AIWB guns. Not saying the P99 is a bad idea... it just deserves more caution, probably.

I first tried AIWB with a centennial "hammerless" J-frame in an old leather Galco "summer special" type holster... and eventually moved on to Kydex from JMCK holding Glocks of several flavors. That old Galco wasn't intended to be an AIWB holster but it works pretty dang well for that job. I have used a clipped knife tucked in near the trigger guard, between waistband and holster, to make a sort of "wing" or "wedge" to tuck the butt in ever so slightly, when concealment in light clothing was important. A J-frame just about disappears AIWB for me, and I'm a smaller dude.

That's my two cents.

Site Supporter
    Starting with either the Model 10 or the J Frame would be a good choice. You may need to go through a holster or two to find what's comfortable for you.

I agree with going with the Mastermind belt with AIWB. The new Wilderness Tactical or the EDC Belt Company belt will perform a similar function as well. All three are outstanding.

If you haven't already, check out this page from Phlster: https://www.phlsterholsters.com/the-...ent-mechanics/ This really breaks down the "how" of AIWB.

Good luck in making AIWB work for you.

The revolvers are great for the stated reasons as long as they work for the round count of that class you signed up for, both capacity/reload wise and, for the J, in terms of comfort for however many rounds.

I got into AIWB when I was carrying P99s, first a compact and then a full size. As you know, they’re DA/SA, which is perfect. I also appreciated the ability to hold down the decocker button as I holstered. In addition to making sure I decocked, depressing that button blocks the striker, so there is practically zero way for the gun to go off holstering with that method.

If you need to explore holster options, PPQ kydex generally fits the P99s, in case you weren’t already aware.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwin View Post
    The revolvers are great for the stated reasons as long as they work for the round count of that class you signed up for, both capacity/reload wise and, for the J, in terms of comfort for however many rounds.

I got into AIWB when I was carrying P99s, first a compact and then a full size. As you know, they’re DA/SA, which is perfect. I also appreciated the ability to hold down the decocker button as I holstered. In addition to making sure I decocked, depressing that button blocks the striker, so there is practically zero way for the gun to go off holstering with that method.

If you need to explore holster options, PPQ kydex generally fits the P99s, in case you weren’t already aware.
    Round count isn't an issue, it's not a shooting class but a "how to draw" class requiring 100 rounds, and I'll bring that much already in speedloaders...plus some extra.

My P99Cs currently ride in a JMCK IWB3 for a PPQ. I learned that somewhere on P-F.
    "Everything in life is really simple, provided you don’t know a f—–g thing about it." - Kevin D. Williamson

Why not try each holster with an unloaded gun before deciding? Even without working on actually drawing the gun from the holster yet, I think it would be valuable to see what is comfortable and how easy it is to get a grip on the gun while holstered. In my experience small differences in ride height and cant make a huge difference AIWB.

Quote Originally Posted by Elwin View Post
    I also appreciated the ability to hold down the decocker button as I holstered. In addition to making sure I decocked, depressing that button blocks the striker, so there is practically zero way for the gun to go off holstering with that method.
    Worth quoting with emphasis to repeat it for anyone that missed it the first time.

The P99 is a really neat gun. I still can't bring myself to get rid of my last one. If it wasn't for red dot sights and a steady supply of free Glocks from GSSF matches, the P99 would be my platform of choice.

Site Supporter
    First choice would be your M10 and JMCK. If they allow it do some part of the class with your J Frame and ICON. You will find that you'll go through belts to find the sweet spot for you, but that's also dependent on which gun and holster you are using. I've found that the new Wilderness Swift Belt in the CSM Option which is very stiff works for me, as I can actually wear it a bit loose compared to my Mastermind or Tenicor Zero Belts. The Mastermind Pillows are a huge help in the comfort department. Just my 2 cents.
    Be Aware-Stay Safe. Gunfighting Is A Thinking Man's Game. So We Might Want To Bring Thinking Back Into It.

Just my opinion, spend the money and get a Tier 1 Concealment holster as they are the best and most comfortable aiwb made.

Quote Originally Posted by Jester560 View Post
    Just my opinion, spend the money and get a Tier 1 Concealment holster as they are the best and most comfortable aiwb made.
    Kinda hard since he's carrying revolvers.
    On the ragged edge of the world I'll roam,
    And the home of the wolf shall be my home - Robert Service

User Tag List