Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Taurus 327 Defender TORO

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    Kudos to Taurus for producing items like this.

I wish .32/.327 was more common, as I think a six shot revolver loaded with the proper .32 load might be the ideal gun for non dedicated/hand strength issues individuals.
    It seems like there will be a variety of new .32 revolvers to choose from in the coming months. Sales of the guns will create demand for compatible ammunition, so hopefully the ammunition supply will increase to meet it.

Interesting times.

I'm not sure where people are getting D-frame size from? This looks like a regular 85 / J-frame size gun. You don't need a larger frame to accommodate 6 .32-size chambers. This appears to be the Taurus equivalent of the S&W 632 Glenn was talking about.

The fact that it is dot-ready whereas most of the other new stuff being introduced isn't feels significant.

Being steel frame this is even less recoil than the aluminum guns, though probably not really pocketable with a 3" barrel and a dot. That 100gr .32 H&R JHP probably wouldn't be too bad out of this.

For people that don't particularly need low recoil and actually want the shit-kicker magnum the .327 gold dots I think are doing like 15" in gel and still opening up to .50+ cal. It's a J-frame magnum that gives you back that 6th round.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jh9 View Post
    I'm not sure where people are getting D-frame size from? This looks like a regular 85 / J-frame size gun. You don't need a larger frame to accommodate 6 .32-size chambers. This appears to be the Taurus equivalent of the S&W 632 Glenn was talking about.

The fact that it is dot-ready whereas most of the other new stuff being introduced isn't feels significant.

Being steel frame this is even less recoil than the aluminum guns, though probably not really pocketable with a 3" barrel and a dot. That 100gr .32 H&R JHP probably wouldn't be too bad out of this.

For people that don't particularly need low recoil and actually want the shit-kicker magnum the .327 gold dots I think are doing like 15" in gel and still opening up to .50+ cal. It's a J-frame magnum that gives you back that 6th round.
    The 856 can use model 10 speedloaders or D frame speedloaders. The wider cylinder is why it is being compared to D frames.

Edit to add I don’t think Taurus makes any J frame size guns anymore, I think they totally dumped the 85 size cylinder for the 856 sized one but I could be wrong on that.
    Last edited by sharps54; 01-24-2024 at 09:40 AM.

I can't speak to the new models, by my 327 2" stainless gun is definitely a bit bigger than a J-Frame. It can still fit in some J-Frame pocket holsters, but not other, more formed, holsters. I'd guess that a D-Frame comparison is fairly accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by sharps54 View Post
    The 856 can use model 10 speedloaders or D frame speedloaders. The wider cylinder is why it is being compared to D frames.

Edit to add I don’t think Taurus makes any J frame size guns anymore, I think they totally dumped the 85 size cylinder for the 856 sized one but I could be wrong on that.
    Ah. I was aware of the 856's slightly larger cylinder. I wasn't aware that they had potentially discontinued all the 85/J size cylinders. That's...I guess it would make sense from a manufacturing angle.

Quote Originally Posted by sharps54 View Post
    T

The 605 (5 shot .357) remains.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by lee n. field View Post
    The 605 (5 shot .357) remains.
    But it is listed as having the same width, 1.41, as all the other Taurus small frame revolvers as opposed to the J frame width of 1.3. Smith lists K frames as 1.45.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    It should be a 7 shot. Or is it and it broke before the 7th shot?
    Not enough space in the cylinder. The 327/856 frame size is a little bigger than a standard J-frame, closer to a Colt D-Frame (I've actually used an HKS "DS" speedloader on an 856). If you go to Taurus's webstore, they sell both the 10-A and DS-A speedloaders for the 856.
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."
    Disclaimer: I have previously worked in the firearms industry as an engineer. Thoughts and opinions expressed here are mine alone and not those of my prior employers.

I said in my previous post that this 327 was going to be heavier than the 856 and it seems so, at least comparing the weights of the 2” versions on the website and from personal experience. The 327 2” I had was a shooter and the only thing I had, besides an old Rossi, that would shoot the Mag Tech 32L WC I got from online worth a damn. My two LCR327s hated them! Maybe that’s why they soured me in the LCR in 32.

I would love to see the 3” 327 version get a UL treatment, hell even the 2” ones! My 3” UL 856 is a sweetheart to shoot and carry since I carry the larger 856 on my belt. Best model Taurus has brought out in the 856 IMHO. But that would mean dropping the model to a 32H&R instead of the 327Mag. Or I ASSUME so since there are no UL 605s and they are in 357mag. Internet chatter on several sights are already roasting SW for bringing the Ultimate J Frames out in 32H&R cause they only see things in velocity. So I don’t know. Just waiting.
    Professionally Trained Service Dog. Not dogs with issues! LOL unless you are talking about my mutts.

Quote Originally Posted by PTSDog View Post
    I said in my previous post that this 327 was going to be heavier than the 856 and it seems so, at least comparing the weights of the 2” versions on the website and from personal experience. The 327 2” I had was a shooter and the only thing I had, besides an old Rossi, that would shoot the Mag Tech 32L WC I got from online worth a damn. My two LCR327s hated them! Maybe that’s why they soured me in the LCR in 32.

I would love to see the 3” 327 version get a UL treatment, hell even the 2” ones! My 3” UL 856 is a sweetheart to shoot and carry since I carry the larger 856 on my belt. Best model Taurus has brought out in the 856 IMHO. But that would mean dropping the model to a 32H&R instead of the 327Mag. Or I ASSUME so since there are no UL 605s and they are in 357mag. Internet chatter on several sights are already roasting SW for bringing the Ultimate J Frames out in 32H&R cause they only see things in velocity. So I don’t know. Just waiting.
    Correct it would have to be in 32 h&r mag. As for other places on the internet - that's why I don't bother with places not P-F.

For .32SW - the Lapua Match Wadcutter is the best and most consistent ammo one can buy in .32Long.

User Tag List